Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 20:19   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44
New design build Ally 40 footer

good day all some of you may know me as a long time yacht builder I don't do much these days but I thought I would design a long range 40 footer with a very powerful rig built on the French style 2 Chines very heavy plate heavily ballasted like 45% with powerful sales and big tankage
I have noticed at all the ex charter boats that try and make it across the Pacific have such small fuel tanks Icould hardly run the engine for refrigeration purposes let alone power across this far stretch of ocean also the water tank iare very small
being of Alloy construction the tanks are integral fuel tank design at 700 litres and the water tanks at 1200 litres of course they do not need to be full at all times the displacement is 10000 kilograms
all of the hull plating is 8 millimetres and the deck is 6 millimetres frames will be Spaced at 1 metre with intercostal stringers which are stringers that are not cut through the frames weakening the frames but sniped 45 degrees at each end and welded between frames
hi built several 40 footers to design by Alan Mummery called the cape 40 series
I will put out plans for this hopefully somebody will take them up somebody who wants a safel powerful Cruising Yacht
comments will be welcome what will have a Volvo saildrive I'm not quite sure what the layout will be
it is a long time since I did anything so small
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marie.png
Views:	434
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	131660  
Stuarth44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 20:20   #2

Re: new design build Ally 40 footer

please excuse the typing errors I am dictating into my smartphone actually I am in hospital drawing this as I had a stroke in June happened in France
Old 24-09-2016, 00:35   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stuart,

So sorry to hear you're in hospital. We wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

My personal prejudices are against saildrives, maybe you could modify the design to accept a shaft drive.

Ann
Old 24-09-2016, 00:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Stuart,

So sorry to hear you're in hospital. We wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

My personal prejudices are against saildrives, maybe you could modify the design to accept a shaft drive.

Ann
Thank you Ann
n I will offer both options for sailedrive is so cheap to install
I would offer the boat with both options engine beds shaft log and one thing another
I have never fitted a saildrive I know there are some electrolysis issues with them but I have taken some very large jet drives in commercial vessels that have done tens of thousands of hours without any corrosion problems I do not know maybe Volvo have done something not quite right I will have to do a bit more research
I will post some more photos but right now I can lift all at 1 kg with my left arm so maybe it is all it is all just a dream
I have also never built a chine sailing boat many powerboats but all of my sailing boats were true formed round bilgewhen a great deal of stretching and wheeling to get the shape
The idea is to leave the design for my young son's to build in the future and this is a good place to start could probably cut all the plates for the top side and middle line and bottom out in 2 days with a good sharp saw
Old 24-09-2016, 01:05   #5

Rhino dwg
I swear to god it is easier getting a paper plan and lofting it full size on the loft 1onestill has to draw the body plan anyway
Also a lot of other components such as the centre line and stem bar should all be drawn on the body plan floor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	131661  
Old 24-09-2016, 08:47   #6

My experience, no to saildrive.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
My experience, no to saildrive.
Thank you scaramangal input is valued
Shark drives have to be done correctly you know set up the boat put a very tight wire through the guts of it centerline and then when you weld in the boss for the shaft log you get distortion and really you should line bore
You are quite right if it many more of you posted in that vein I will not the idea on the head
Old 24-09-2016, 13:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Stuart,

Ann
Yes and I had a stroke in Avignon I was totally paralyzed down the left side but now I can run I am back in Australia but have very limited use of my left arm and hand it is exactly 3 months cincy event I have great hopes of a full recovery at least my brain and my speech were not affected at all so I can put it consider myself fortunate
Old 24-09-2016, 14:21   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: New design build Ally 40 footer

Tanks Stewarth.

That looks like a great design for a cruising yacht.
Any chance of more details. It would be fascinating to see a 3D file.

I too am very wary of the long term reliability of a sail drive, particularly for this style of yacht. I would concentrate on optimising the shaft drive option.

The amount of detail that goes into a yacht like this is quite amazing and can imagine the work is very taxing especially with your current problems, but I can also envisage it immensely satisfying. There is a shortage of current designs of aluminium yachts in this size range so keep up the good work.

All the best for a complete and swift recovery.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 15:00   #10

Thank you know Noelex
Those are encouraging words originally the boat came off the design board of a very famous architect from last century called Robert Clark he designed the first mega yacht I suppose called carita I think she was a 3 masted schooner and it was still around last year renamed you could Google the name carita
A friend of mine had him draw the boat for a circumnavigation she was only 9 and a bit metres 32 feet actually but a big 3240 because she had the cut of transm no overhang
You will notice on the boat that she has quite a deep body and a very good entry so she does not slam going upwind
My friend and his wife sailed the boat around Cape Horn from New Zealand and even up to Greenland where I have pictures of her in the ice somewhere on my files
So with permission from them I scaled up the boat but kept the same form I am very wary of boats with big wide transomd as a tend to roll down wind in quartering seas and I do not like the motion
The French have a
Very successful aluminium boat but the entry is flat and they can park them on beaches and it is called in of OVNI
Or similar spelling and they are very expensive
I talked to an owner of one down here and he said it was a good boat but very noisy and uncomfortable upwind
The original boat name Kate had a deep fin Keel which was not very good when you wanted to come and tie up alongside piles to dry out as the Fins would just dig into the ground so he recommended I put on this type of keel which keeps ballest low but maintains a shallow draught which is very important in the Pacific in the Fiji Islands where I cruised a lot there are lots of Shadows to bump over Coral Bombiess and stuff like that
I can't really give you a 3D file otherwise it would May spread around the world and other people steal my design but if you were to contact me in private and you have a program that can open 3D such as drawing exchange files I may be able to talk to you on Skype and if I trusted you enough said with a smile I would share some of the drawings
With the water line at 10:10 I have to move the Rutherford a little bit otherwise it will take care and also I have to change the design of the Rudder the plan form
Usually I use as heavy stainless steel stock because it can be much less in diameter than an equivalent aluminium stock then I use 3 millimetre stainless steel plate for the Rudder skin itself of course whole thing is isolated I have not had any trouble and it makes a very very strong Rudder I prefer Spade rudders to skegs myself
Old 24-09-2016, 15:05   #11

Once again sorry for typos I just cannot type with a keyboard I have to do it with one thumb on my cell phone or dictate
Old 24-09-2016, 15:33   #12

this is my last build, scheel keel 7500 lead
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nimbus.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	131679  
Old 24-09-2016, 16:32   #13

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Keen to see more details. Looks good, to you have any pics of the original version.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-09-2016, 16:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Keen to see more details. Looks good, to you have any pics of the original version.

Hello snow somewhere I have a picture of the original boat she was called Kate the picture is her off greenland alongside a massive iceberg I will try and find it funnily enough the boat came up for sale with her second owner up in Rockhampton in Australia she sold for only 20300 Australian dollars I saw her too late I would have bought her
Old 24-09-2016, 16:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post

http://www.yachtdomain.com/boats-for-sale?cate=Sail_mono&Lengthfrom=&Lengthto=12.19&ord er_by=length_asc