Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 16:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 48
New boat purchase

I am shopping for a new sailboat, I have had power boats all my life and have a lot to learn. I am considering the Beneteau oceanis 48, or the Sense 50, or the Hanse 495. Have many questions, seaworthyness and performance are important. Not sure about self tacking jib? Mainsail that rolls into mast? Electric vs manual winches? All seem very comfortable to live on, but I'm not looking for a houseboat. Any help is appreciated
chris4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 16:58   #2

Boat: Corbin39
Don't know much about these new boats but if you want a furled main, put it in the boom....less trouble jamming.
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 17:06   #3

Boat: Sabre 426
Re: New boat purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape39 View Post
Don't know much about these new boats but if you want a furled main, put it in the boom....less trouble jamming.
We went through the very same exercise last year except we were already a Beneteau 411 owner. After looking carefully at the Sense and numerous other options e.g. Hanse, Catalina, Jeneau, and eventually Tartans, we ended up purchasing a Sabre 426 with a self tacking jib and a Leisure Furl Boom. We took delivery of the Sabre in late June and it has far exceeded our expectations. We purchased the boat with electric primaries in anticipation of installing a genoa. Except for downwind sailing, we reached the conclusion that the self tacking jib was a wise decision. Nevertheless the electric primaries make sailing nearly effortless - something we will appreciate as we move through our 60's into our 70's. The build quality is in a different league than the Beneteau and despite the smaller volume and greater cost, I think we made the right decision for satisfying our requirements.
Old 09-10-2012, 17:23   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Some people love self-tacking jibs, while others hate them. Most people purchasing boats in that size range purchase in-mast furling mains, but some folks fear them. Likewise, most boats that size have at least one electric winch, but....

You say you're shopping for a new boat. In that size range, your best bet is to research which one best meets your needs, and then charter a sistership. Spend a week in the BVI on the boat of your dreams, and figure out what sort of furling system you want, what sort of winches you want, et cetera.

You'll be delighted to find, with any of those boats, that you have options. Every production boat in that size range can be purchased with in-boom furling, conventional furling, or in-mast furling. Likewise for those other options.
Old 09-10-2012, 21:15   #5

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
I went through the same exercise with a slightly larger boat. She has been in the water 18 mths now

My suggestion is don't over think it. Buy what you think you will need and upgrade from there later on

I did almost the opposite in a couple of instances and regret it a little

Let me explain with one particular example

I purchased in boom furling ( leisure furl ). Nothing wrong with the product, but I wish I hadn't

Bat cars and the best electric winches you can afford would have been a better choice for the way I want to sail ( often singlehanded )

Some other perspectives are listed below :

Furling headsails yes
Bow thruster yes
Self tacking jib arrangement. No
More electric winches. Yes
More tightly integrated nav systems with some redundancy. Yes
Water maker Not yet

Good luck and enjoy the selection process !

Carlisle Spirit
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 00:03   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 48

Thanks for the responses. A good friend of mine just bought the Sabre 426 also and hasn't got a kind word for the Beneteau. Claims they won't hold up for years in ocean sailing and won't perform well. I'm not sure and it looks like you get a lot more boat for the money. He suggested I look at Hanse for a step up? I was just at show in Annapolis n the 48 Beneteau sure looks nice. Have been told the mast furling main really detracts from sailing performance, certainly looks convenient. The charter idea sounds smart
chris4911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase