Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 17:14   #16

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
Re: New Boat - CS30

Yes great boat....I have a 1986 CS 30 and have spent the last 3 yrs upgrading it and getting ready to head south in Nov. The Volvo motor is a good one but the parts if needed can be a little difficult to find and expensive. If I can help in anyway don't hesitate to ask...so go and enjoy
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:16   #17

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Wondering if there was anybody else cruising the Georgian Bay area who might offer some advise on locations, hazards, group cruises, must see areas, etc.

Thanks
If you ever decide to travel south down the east coast of Lake Huron stay well off Clark Point. Shallow and rocky....df
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:38   #18

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
Yes great boat....I have a 1986 CS 30 and have spent the last 3 yrs upgrading it and getting ready to head south in Nov. The Volvo motor is a good one but the parts if needed can be a little difficult to find and expensive. If I can help in anyway don't hesitate to ask...so go and enjoy
Thanks and keep in touch with updates on your trip south. What kind of upgrades did you do?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:42   #19

[QUOTE=Vasco;2091122]Great boat. Had one in 1984 and then got a Merlin. CS boats have stood the test of time most are still sailing and they stopped building over twenty years ago. There's a good CS group on Yahoo groups. Covers all the models.

I know you are in the TO area and would love to see your Merlin sometime since both the CS30 and the Merlin are designed by the same person.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:50   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

[QUOTE=mottseng;2092786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Great boat. Had one in 1984 and then got a Merlin. CS boats have stood the test of time most are still sailing and they stopped building over twenty years ago. There's a good CS group on Yahoo groups. Covers all the models.

I know you are in the TO area and would love to see your Merlin sometime since both the CS30 and the Merlin are designed by the same person.
I'm in the Bahamas right now. During the summer I can be found at ABYC.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-04-2016, 12:22   #21

Vasco, i sent you a PM
Old 09-04-2016, 06:46   #22

I am a single handed so i ran everything to the cockpit...I installed a mack pack...windless...wash down pump...200w solar...dinghy motor hoist...LED everything...just finished with a Garmin 18HD radar and a new 741sx chart plotter..cockpit enclosures both screen as well as weather..the windless can be operated either from the cockpit or bow...
Old 15-04-2016, 12:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
I am a single handed so i ran everything to the cockpit...I installed a mack pack...windless...wash down pump...200w solar...dinghy motor hoist...LED everything...just finished with a Garmin 18HD radar and a new 741sx chart plotter..cockpit enclosures both screen as well as weather..the windless can be operated either from the cockpit or bow...
You really do have her set up for single handed!! Regarding the "LED everything" how difficult or costly was that?
Old 15-04-2016, 16:59   #24

Not really all that costly...on the Nav side i found most on Amazon...as for the cabin and keep in mind there are 12 I think and those came from superbrightled.com. I also added 5 fans ...one in each berth and three in the main cabin which also have led lights as part of the fans..
Old 15-04-2016, 18:23   #25

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

I don't currently sale on Georgian Bay, but many moons ago I worked at the SAR base in Meaford and know the Bay well. For your first season or two, just get to know the southern half of the Bay, it's much more user friendly.

Thornbury, and Meaford have very pretty harbours with good dining and good services. Collingwood has golf and lots of activities, Owen Sound has a great nautical history and is easier to get into.

When you're ready for a more challenging port, try Lions Head, it's gorgeous and if it's too much for you, back track to Owen Sound.

As you gain experience, Tobermory and Flower Pot Island are must sees. Parry Sound to Britt has magnificent scenery but very challenging navigation.

The North Channel offers top shelf protected cruising, so it's a favourite. That's the North side of Manitoulin, the South side is rather treacherous.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 11:14   #26

[QUOTE=Ungvar;2098311]I don't currently sale on Georgian Bay, but many moons ago I worked at the SAR base in Meaford and know the Bay well. For your first season or two, just get to know the southern half of the Bay, it's much more user friendly.

Great advise and great information. Until I have the "local" knowledge I will doing exactly what you recommend.

Thanks
Old 24-05-2016, 12:29   #27

Got our maiden voyage in this past weekend. I should rename the boat Titanic due to grounding on a sandbar on the maiden voyage. No damage and she came off with extra throttle. Next purchase is chartplotter !!!!
Old 16-06-2016, 13:38   #28

Anybody going to be around Beausoleil Island this weekend?