Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 05:54   #1

New Boat Buy for Handicapped Sailor

I'm seriously thinking about starting inexpensively with a Bavaria 32 or 34. I'm a wheelchair user and will have to install a lift to access the saloon from the deck.
If buying used, will I have to have the boat out of the water more frequently than new? What is the cut off date for minimal maintenance?We plan to keep the boat in the W of Scotland or South coast of England

Does anyone have any suggestions for other modifications that might help me?

thanks

Tony
(veteran dinghy sailor but novice cruiser)
Tony Flinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:15   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hi Tony,

Welcome aboard

The maintenance this is an interesting question.
The big charter companies - Moorings and Sunsail take only new boats and they remove them from their lists at the end of 4 years or 5 years service.

So I think that gives a good indication that its after that time that maintenance costs begin to go up - not spiking up, just raising from virtually nil.
After 10 years I think they spike up.

My boat is 9 years old and I am putting a fair bit into it now to make it happy for the next 5 years or so.

So if you can stretch to a new one I think its well worth it.

With haul-outs of older boats they will generally be the same as the newer boat imho as any maintenance work or breakdowns would be held back to the regular haul out.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15   #3

New boats you basically clean. That's for about the first 5 years. You also add all sorts of new gear and upgrades as new boats often are not "tricked out".

After 5 years you need to begin the upgrade and replacement of things with shorter service life. Brightwork will show need of varnish and regular maintenance now.

By ten years you are having to recover cushions replace sails and often get newer electronics and navigation technology. You are now into the end of the service life for a fair amount of gear - refers, autopilots, windlasses and so forth will require major care or replacement. You'll have less time to get to the light cleaning because there are more and more things on the to do list with higher priority.

At 15 years you've replaced or are about to replace a fair amount of original gear - running and standing rigging, anchor rodes, perhaps the cooker, head, cabin lighting and so forth. But the upside is that the replacement are on the beginning of their service life and you don't have to worry about them and can devote your anxiety to older gear waiting to "fail".

The todo list never gets shorter from year 5 onward. Don't forget to sail.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote