Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2017, 11:01   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
New battery bank location

I seek the wisdom of others.

I purchased 2 x 6V batteries (230AH) to replace my 2 x 12V batteries (160AH total). I desperately need the extra capacity, and have added extra solar to compensate. One of the 12V batteries is dedicated to the engine, the other to the house. So my actual house bank right now is only 80AH. The batteries can be combined, however, as the engine battery isn't a special starting battery.

I plan on keeping one of the 80AH 12V batteries as a dedicated engine battery.

(refer to the attached image for the following discussion)

Unfortunately, I miss measured. It turns out that the 12V batteries are an exact fit into the keel, and the 6V batteries are just a tiny bit too wide. That means I need to either re-think my house bank, or find a place to put the 2 x 6V batteries.

The image shows a few of the options I've considered. My favorite is the starboard lazarette. The advantage is to this location is that they remain close to the charging source and distribution panel, and they "balance" out the diesel tank stored in the port lazarette. The disadvantage is that they'll be sitting atop one of my water tanks -- but I so is my diesel tank on the other side -- and they're off-center.

Another option would be to return the 6V batteries, and leave the 2 x 80AH ones as my new house bank, and add a starting battery behind the engine.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryOptions.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	158011  
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 11:16   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: New battery bank location

Put them in the starboard laz in a polyethylene battery box. The keel is not an ideal location anyway, not the least of which being they probably aren't oriented correctly.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 11:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Put them in the starboard laz in a polyethylene battery box. The keel is not an ideal location anyway, not the least of which being they probably aren't oriented correctly.
Good point! I hadn't thought about the orientation in terms of heel. My thought is always "where are these batteries going when I go upside down?".

I can't get 6V battery boxes on the island, so I'll have to build something with what I can find here. I'm wondering if I can squeeze them into Group 27 boxes, and modify the lids so that they fit the taller size.
Old 19-10-2017, 13:07   #4
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I am puzzled by a couple of things .... you say the new batteries are 6V and 230 AH and you are replacing 2 12V batteries, one of which is the starting battery.
Are you aware that you need to connect the two new batteries in series to get a useful 12V equivalent? You will no longer have a separate start battery or a backup battery! Are you aware that the Ah capacity of two 6V batteries in series is the same as a single 6V battery? 230AH sounds very high for capacity.
Lastly, if you are concerned about 'balance', by a second set of batteries and use option 2 AND 3 to have it nicely balanced and give you back an emergency battery.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 16:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I am puzzled by a couple of things .... you say the new batteries are 6V and 230 AH and you are replacing 2 12V batteries, one of which is the starting battery.
Are you aware that you need to connect the two new batteries in series to get a useful 12V equivalent? You will no longer have a separate start battery or a backup battery! Are you aware that the Ah capacity of two 6V batteries in series is the same as a single 6V battery? 230AH sounds very high for capacity.
Lastly, if you are concerned about 'balance', by a second set of batteries and use option 2 AND 3 to have it nicely balanced and give you back an emergency battery.
Carefully read the post again. I'll be keeping one of the 12V batteries as a starting battery, and the 2 x 6V become my house bank. It's the same situation I currently have, one start battery, "one" house bank.

The two 6V batteries will be in series to give 12V. Each battery has a capacity of 230AH. That's significantly higher than my current 80AH.
Old 19-10-2017, 17:09   #6
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
Carefully read the post again. I'll be keeping one of the 12V batteries as a starting battery, and the 2 x 6V become my house bank. It's the same situation I currently have, one start battery, "one" house bank.

The two 6V batteries will be in series to give 12V. Each battery has a capacity of 230AH. That's significantly higher than my current 80AH.
I sit corrected .... missed the start battery bit but am still surprised at the 230Ah per 6V battery, very impressive!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 17:27   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Good point! I hadn't thought about the orientation in terms of heel. My thought is always "where are these batteries going when I go upside down?".

I can't get 6V battery boxes on the island, so I'll have to build something with what I can find here. I'm wondering if I can squeeze them into Group 27 boxes, and modify the lids so that they fit the taller size.
Two Questions

1......IF you returned the 6v batteries, have you found a better choice for the original keel installation?

2..... What type of battery is the new 6v.....AGM/Gel/refill.maintenance type?
That impacts orientation and location.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 04:43   #8

I haven't found a better alternative for something that will fit int he current keel location. I would leave the two 12V batteries there, and add a starting battery aft of the engine. That would be a compromise. I'd double my dedicated house bank from 80 to 160, but still shy of the 230 offered by the 6V.

The 6Vs are standard flooded GC2 golfcart-type batteries.
Old 20-10-2017, 04:52   #9

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Another Vega owner here. We replaced the head on our boat with an MSD porta potty, which freed up the space where the holding tank was. That's where our batteries will go, centered under the aft end of the V berth. Planning on two 6V also.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 05:10   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

The 6V batteries are about 70# ea. The ideal spot for weight distribution in your boat is low in the bilge area. You've stated they can't be put there but do you have any idea how the addition of these batteries will affect trim/sail performance in your various optional locations? (i.e. the V berth placement of the batteries well forward of the mast may push the bow down too much)

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 05:22   #11

My holding tank is, somewhat strangely, above and behind my head. So if I didn't have that, it definitely wouldn't be a good place for the batteries. There are a couple spots under the V-berth that are suitable, but adding 120lbs to the bow isn't my preference right now.

I've certainly been thinking about the trim, and that's why I'm here asking for opinions.

I have an 11 gallon diesel tank on the port side, which is probably a total of 80 lbs when full. But I have been storing both gas and diesel jerry cans in the starboard laz. I would move these to the port side, if I were to place the batteries in the starboard laz. Perhaps then the boat would at least be somewhat balanced port-starboard, but there might be too much weight aft.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:49   #12

Of your options presented, think your option 2 may be the best for weight distribution to keep them low, but may cause some squatting. Could always move some of your belongings forward to shift some weight. In option 2, can you easily access the batteries to add water?

Sounds like you already have the batteries on board and you have cameras. Are you in a still anchorage that you can move the batteries to the various locations and take side photos to see if it shifts the boat trim? Also you will not be in the boat during the photos and since most of the time you are in the cockpit sailing so your weight will change the distribution aft while underway.

Unfortunately, you may need to do some experimenting, especially while underway to see if it appreciably changes performance or boat handling in various sea states.
Old 20-10-2017, 06:25   #13

Quote:
I haven't found a better alternative for something that will fit int he current keel location. I would leave the two 12V batteries there, and add a starting battery aft of the engine. That would be a compromise. I'd double my dedicated house bank from 80 to 160, but still shy of the 230 offered by the 6V.

The 6Vs are standard flooded GC2 golfcart-type batteries.
Forgot you presented this option. While it seems like you are losing out on an extra 70aH, trade off is the compromising the weight distribution which could be big in your boat. Loved sailing small boats, but weight is really a key element and usually not too many good places to squirrel the bigger stuff.

Don't know your daily loads, but from the pics on your site it appears you have a decent amount of solar. Obviously 2-12s would double you ah capacity, would that be enough? Would be much easier to add a smaller starter battery than try to add/shift the 6s.

Seems like you put some thought into it this project so trying to add a different perspective as you talk this out.
Old 20-10-2017, 09:11   #14

We have (6) 2 X 6V golf cart batteries in the starboard region against the hull. It keeps them cool and balances out a generator on the port side. But we have AGM batteries that don't need topping up. The installation has never needed maintenance except for a stainless battery bolt that broke under the head.

The AGM's can be positioned in any orientation except inverted, which is very important considering how many boats are tipped on a side in the Caribbean.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 10:10   #15

To some extent I can experiment. Right now I'm on the hard but I'll be back in the water soon. I moved the water line up significantly aft, as it was a bit low anyway. So in that sense, I'm not worried about the extra weight aft. In terms of sail trim, I'm not sure I'm a good enough sailor yet to recognize how 120 lbs here or there affects the sailing characteristics of the boat.

I store 2 x 5 gallon diesel tanks on the port side, on deck, amidships, as well, which I didn't mention earlier. This adds another bonus to having the batteries in the starboard laz.

My solar is 150 + 50 + 50 for a total of 250W @ 12V. That gives me a peak of 20A power generation, and possibly 160AH in an 8H usable sunshine day. I figure that's plenty for a 230AH bank, as I won't be discharging the bank more than 50% a day. More than enough for a 160AH bank if I go the other route.

Tags
battery