Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2015, 19:22   #1

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Neptun 31 - anyone familiar with it?

Maybe some of our German geschwister are familiar with this model. Built in the 70's by Neptun Boote, the only information I've been able to find about them online is here, and it's very sparse, and worse, in metric!

There is a Neptun yard in operation today, but it produces heavy industry ships and not pleasure craft. Googling Neptun (not misspelled by the way, it doesn't have an 'e' in German) and sailboats is also somewhat of an exercise in frustration, as I've discovered on page 10 of my umpteenth search query.

If anyone has knowledge of construction quality, cruising suitability, or possibly this boat itself (It's Zoria formerly of New York and now Jacksonville), please do let me know. The former owner is a member here I've discovered, but has not been active since his three posts in 2009 so I'm not sure my PM will reach him. Thanks for your help!

Edit: typing a bit in German made me think that I should be searching in German (seems obvious in hindsight), and that has actually yielded quite a few results! But please do let me know what you know, as well.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:40   #2

Boat: Neptun, 31, Zoria
Re: Neptun 31 - anyone familiar with it?

She is a great boat, solid deck no plywood core. We used to go around the yard in the winter and tap on hulls and she was thud thud not tink tink. With a six foot keel and a 32 foot mast ( I think that's right) she's not a tender boat that heels way over on the slightest breeze. She starts coming to life at about seven knots. She has kept me safe in 40 knots in the Albemarle Sound and got us safely into Norfolk during a early winter storm. That was one heck of a ride.

I've redone the interior to make her a live aboard. The extra insulation around the refrigerators makes it so you have to keep it on the lowest setting or they become freezers. There are two units so one can be a freezer and the other a fridge. I've built in some extra storage and she is now really a couples boat. Though she can sleep three and a child if need be.

She has spent all but the last few years in fresh water. When I first got her, prior to the plan to sail to the islands, a few of us used to chase each other around the lake and I was able to out point everyone. The club races started too late so the wind was always to light to think about joining the racers. On weekend afternoons when the wind would be up and the others are starting to have a little too much wind she just lays over and takes off.

She is in Daytona Beach btw. What else would you like to know?

Old 07-02-2015, 05:45   #3

She was built for sailing the North Sea. Only too were imported as they were just too expensive compared to the competition back then. She originally was priced at $65,000 back in 1979.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:59   #4

She used to have wheel steering but it took up too much space so I removed it when I replaced the teak cockpit floor. As the rudder has a center post the tiller needs just a light touch and she can be sailed with one finger in light winds. You'll need to use a couple more fingers when the wind picks up. My point is the tiller is easy on the crew not like front hinged rudders which require much greater effort.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:51   #5

The magic of CF! Thanks for getting back to me, James. The rest of the questions I have are more about condition rather than design, so I'll email you directly. They're the same questions I asked your broker, so you may actually get them twice ... Thanks again for reaching out!
Old 08-02-2015, 06:41   #6

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoria View Post
She is a great boat, solid deck no plywood core. We used to go around the yard in the winter and tap on hulls and she was thud thud not tink tink....The club races started too late so the wind was always to light to think about joining the racers. On weekend afternoons when the wind would be up and the others are starting to have a little too much wind she just lays over and takes off.

She is in Daytona Beach btw. What else would you like to know?

A couple of inside & outside pictures would be nice
Old 08-02-2015, 07:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
A couple of inside & outside pictures would be nice
I'm an owner of a Neptune 31 in Spain, and i'have same brochures about this model.

Tell me an e-mail, and i'll send it.

At this moment, i'm not sure about how to insert pictures with the message

Regards
Old 08-02-2015, 10:07   #8

Hi Jaitos,
I'd love to see some brochures (I understand they are probably in German ). My email is fenwayresident@gmail.com Thanks!
Dan
Old 08-02-2015, 10:30   #9

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaitos View Post
I'm an owner of a Neptune 31 in Spain, and i'have same brochures about this model. Tell me an e-mail, and i'll send it. At this moment, i'm not sure about how to insert pictures with the message Regards
Thanks, I'm an civil architect & love to look at sailboat layouts & architecture in general remimarmol@yahoo.com Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cigale2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	96827  
Old 08-02-2015, 10:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Thanks, I'm an civil architect & love to look at sailboat layouts & architecture in general remimarmol@yahoo.com Thanks
Neptun 31
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M1.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	96828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sin título.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	96829  

Display Modes Rate This Thread