Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 18:20   #1

Boat: Conyplex, Contest, 48'
Needing blue water cruiser advice

Let me start out explaining that my wife and I are novice. Our goal is to purchase a sailboat within the next 2-3 months and expecting to be sailing the Bahamas, Caribbean, and maybe eventually unto the Mediterranean for a couple of years after one year of long weekend sailing to gain experience. We would love to use our own sailboat to finish up our different sailing certifications. We are looking to purchase one sailboat that we can use for years to come. We are planning to sail with two of our teenage children. Thankfully, we accustom to homeschooling and extensive traveling in a small RV for long periods at a time. We really would like to find a 3 cabin or 2 that could be modified into separate cabins for the teens. We have thus far found a 1984 first 38 Beneteau which that will need a dingy, radar, cosmetic work, and has bow pulpit and lifeline minor damage. The other boat is a 1988 O'Day 40' which has all the extras that we are looking for including a water maker, wind generator, 10 1/2 ft RIB dingy with a 15 hp motor, davits, new standing rigging, and electronics. The Beneteau is about 4k more. But the question I have will the O'Day take us to where we want to go. Also, would love to know if there any other blue water cruisers that might fit our needs that we have over looked? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fishbait58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 19:16   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Needing blue water cruiser advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbait58 View Post
Let me start out explaining that my wife and I are novice. Our goal is to purchase a sailboat within the next 2-3 months and expecting to be sailing the Bahamas, Caribbean, and maybe eventually unto the Mediterranean for a couple of years after one year of long weekend sailing to gain experience. We would love to use our own sailboat to finish up our different sailing certifications. We are looking to purchase one sailboat that we can use for years to come. We are planning to sail with two of our teenage children. Thankfully, we accustom to homeschooling and extensive traveling in a small RV for long periods at a time. We really would like to find a 3 cabin or 2 that could be modified into separate cabins for the teens. We have thus far found a 1984 first 38 Beneteau which that will need a dingy, radar, cosmetic work, and has bow pulpit and lifeline minor damage. The other boat is a 1988 O'Day 40' which has all the extras that we are looking for including a water maker, wind generator, 10 1/2 ft RIB dingy with a 15 hp motor, davits, new standing rigging, and electronics. The Beneteau is about 4k more. But the question I have will the O'Day take us to where we want to go. Also, would love to know if there any other blue water cruisers that might fit our needs that we have over looked? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There are lots of great boats! Sounds like an awesome plan. I like the idea of sailing whatever boat you decide on for a year before heading out. You may want to consider an ASA bareboat certification. They'll more than likely take you on various boats during the courses and that can only help you decide. Ultimately, I think you should talk to (interview) some brokers and carefully select one to help you find the right boat for you. The right broker will help you ask questions you never thought to ask. (My first question would be, "How them teenagers get along?" Ha! Just kidding.) Enjoy the search, don't rush!

IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 12:28   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Needing blue water cruiser advice

Check Bluewaterboats.org and Atom Voyages for a good list of well-respected boats. If you are new to sailing buy a Laser or a Hobie Cat along with your boat and sail it for fun every chance you get. You will really learn the sailing fundamentals when you are having funin a little boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water