Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-07-2014, 20:41   #16

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Need your advise.

Let me be the first to bring up the option of multihulls.......

There! I said it!

Old 31-07-2014, 21:00   #17

For the moment the budget is secondary as well as the manufacturer, but I'm open to your suggestions. It would be foolish to spend more on the boat then necessary, be best to leave it for the cruise and what may develop. And thank you all for helping me sift my thoughts to understand what type of boat I really want. I'm not interested in spending endless weeks crossing large bodies of water so a faster boat is more fitting. Planning of spending maybe a whole decade living on the boat in relative comfort is important. My plan is to cross Atlantic, possibly start up the Hudson river, through the canal into St Lawrence, (need to search possible mast height restrictions) cruise western coast of Europe and coastally around the Med., Europe and Northern Africa.
The other alternative would be to cruise the Caribbean then cross the Atlantic to Med. If it turns out that I find the boat on the west coast then I would sail towards the Panama canal and do the Carib.
Primarily I want to have easy to handle, a maneuverable and sturdy boat.
I'm hearing the benefits of fiberglass hull and understand the principle of encapsulated vs attached keel. Still not clear on type of keel. The Ketch I still have to give some more thought to.

Old 31-07-2014, 21:04   #18

I have thought about a cat but it's presentation, high and wide, is not practical for where I want to sail and tuck away.
Old 31-07-2014, 21:16   #19

Thanks for the idea of finishing the 40' in Ohio, but that would seriously delay my getting on water and I do not have enough knowhow to make the decisions. Thans
Old 31-07-2014, 21:23   #20

Boat: Ta Chiao CT 35 Jack, CS27 Christina, Ranger 23 Strider, I14 Aggie
Don't let anyone talk you out of a ketch if that is what you want. There are so few these days that very few sailors know about them first hand.
It is a very versatile rig for anything short of beating to weather. And who really wants to beat to weather anyway. A heavy displacement full keel ketch is not modern or really fast, but a lot more comfortable in snotty weather.
Old 31-07-2014, 22:46   #21

Boat: Albin 27 FC

I love the ketch rig! Jib and jigger in 45 knots of wind was some of the best sailing I've ever experienced. I had a 424 Pearson for 15 years. Don't buy a boat for you, a mate and a bunch of visitors( they very seldom show up!). Figure how much room you can be comfortable with. Seakeeping qualities are much more important than speed. The older Hallberg-Rasseys are great boats and very reasonable, and easy to singlehand.
Old 31-07-2014, 23:05   #22

Pzappo, dont get hung up on any particular type of rig. They will all get you to where you want to go. Some may be better up wind (which I consider important) and some are better off of the wind, but every rig has gone everywhere. My own criteria for any rig, is that it not interfere with the use of a windvane. You mention that you might be single handing. A windvane will be the best crew you can have. An auto pilot has an important place on a boat, but when spending money, put the windvane ahead of the electron dependent auto pilot. Go over what the Cates said about water tankage,vs watermakers. There is good advice there. As far as hull/keel shape/length, other than the really short, knife shaped keels, there are many great passages made with long, or moderate length keels. You mention 10 years of sailing, so I would concentrate on a simple, easy to maintain rig, and boat, that will be comfortable at sea, and in port. Easy to handle ground tackle is one of the more important considerations for us aging sailors. There are huge arguments on this forum about anchoring, but ease and size matter. Best of luck to you. _____Grant.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:03   #23

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
A CF member has an Amazon 44 for sale in Seattle. You might take a look at it. It is certainly a boat for ocean sailing. You might look at the boats for sale here on CF.

My advice is to stick to a boat that is easily singlehanded. As strong and healthy as you are, most of us weaken after 70.

Do not count on having family visit you. Mostly their travel is quite expensive, and their time off too short, unless you are cruising where they are. This is the sad voice of someone who bought a boat with 3 cabins so kids and grandkids could come. My husband's kids from a previous marriage each came, the daughter once, the son, twice. Of my three kids, only my eldest ever visited.

I'd suggest something in the 36-40 ft. range. We have a friend who singlehanded circumnavigated in a small Halberg Rassey, 34, and she took really good care of him.

Finally, I wish you luck finding a like minded good lady.

Ann
Ann, I could feel your heart in this post and it is my heart as well. It is also what I suspect our experience will be once we start cruising. For a long time we fantasized about having our children and grandchildren come and join us as we cruised and we wished to have a boat that would accommodate that, but as years have gone by and sometimes it is difficult to even get them interested in a day sail, we realize that we can't make our dream their dream. We needed to plan for us, the boat needed to be perfect for OUR needs.

I encourage the OP not to go for more boat than he can handle or afford based on what he thinks his kids may or may not do. If they really want to join you sometimes a sleeping bag on a settee will likely do for a short visit. Buy the boat that is perfect for you.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:07   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
A CF member has an Amazon 44 for sale in Seattle. You might take a look at it. It is certainly a boat for ocean sailing. You might look at the boats for sale here on CF.

My advice is to stick to a boat that is easily singlehanded. As strong and healthy as you are, most of us weaken after 70.

Do not count on having family visit you. Mostly their travel is quite expensive, and their time off too short, unless you are cruising where they are. This is the sad voice of someone who bought a boat with 3 cabins so kids and grandkids could come. My husband's kids from a previous marriage each came, the daughter once, the son, twice. Of my three kids, only my eldest ever visited.

I'd suggest something in the 36-40 ft. range. We have a friend who singlehanded circumnavigated in a small Halberg Rassey, 34, and she took really good care of him.

Finally, I wish you luck finding a like minded good lady.

Ann
Everything Ann said - don't read any other posts - LOL

Except mine...

Rig type? You like ketch and a gaff - go for it. It matters but it doesn't matter. It will sail the boat.

Keel type? - If you like full keel - go for it. It matters but it doesn't matter. it will longitudinally stabilize the boat.

Steel or Fiber glass? - If you like steel - go for it! Either one keeps the ocean out.

So my preferences for you? Which don't matter to anyone...

Cutter rigged sloop. Foresails on furlers, one main sail to hoist.
Cut back full keel or bolted on iron bulb keel - I am not a keel fanatic
Fiberglass - Steel has issues that I have seen the consequence of. When the hull gets thin around the keel life goes to ****
Length ~40 feet

This is a sailplan you can manage as you get older, either keel is "solid" should you worry about hitting a reef. A fiberglass boat of the right era has very low probability of issues and will last about a million years. 40 feet is plenty for you and a S/O and you can also squeeze in some kids should they show up.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:59   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you are putting the cart before the horse!

go sailing first,then look for a boat,lots of sailing opurtunities here,
Yacht crew agency, yacht crew vacancy, sailing crew from Crewseekers

boat yards and marinas around the world are full of boats for sale at knock down prices owned by people who either don't have the time,or experince,who's failed dreams led them to buy a boat before getting the experince to use it.

at 68 if you really want to cross oceans you better do it soon,the ocean is no place for inexperinced romantics.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:34   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

As you look back at earlier posts you'll see that I was encouraging you to look at alternatives to the "full keel" (I put that in quotes because the name is so often misused) and the ketch rig. I try to not be biased and only support my own chioces. It's true that I sail a ketch with a "full keel" and I do have a history of careening at high tide to clean my bottom and paint. I would not choose anything else, but I am a coastal cruiser and gunkholer for over fifty years.

I like Atoll's advice. Do some sailing before you make the choice.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:00   #27

pirate Re: Need your advise.

THANK YOU ALL very much for the care and concern. All this varied advise really helps me settle in and make a choice that I can live with. I'm sure you have read about an old guy who was sailing on small boats, using a regular road map to navigate along the coastline and had to be rescued a bunch of times. That is really a "shallow" romantic.
For me, it is about adventure. If you are physically conditioned, mentally stable, do the necessary research, study and preparation, maybe you have a 50/50 chance of achieving your "dreams". Even those that take time to practice have 50/50, mother nature is not always predictable. You may die in your pursuit of the summit. or get eaten in the jungle, or sink in a storm. For me it is about the venture into the unknown and the first time the "victory" is the sweetest. Preparation and alertness is pinnacle to survival and that is why I am here seeking your hands on feedback.
My intent, and time will tell, is to be sharing my adventure with whoever wants to know, over the next 10 years or so.
I am no stranger to adventure, and yes I am an old salt (chronologically).
What is life for anyway? Is it about an easy predictable path? Or is it about the thrill of living, having to do whatever it takes to stay alive.
Standing on the edge is a piece of cake once you get past the fear, and if something does happen, are you prepared and ready to deal with it.
Tell me all you know. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:14   #28

Aythya, coastal and gunkholes is what I want to do so I can get close to the many different cultures and people, but you have to cross the oceans to get there. I hope to capture just a fraction of what you obviously enjoyed in your 40 years of sailing and living aboard. Folks like you is what fills my spirit. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:59   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzappo View Post
Aythya, coastal and gunkholes is what I want to do so I can get close to the many different cultures and people, but you have to cross the oceans to get there. I hope to capture just a fraction of what you obviously enjoyed in your 40 years of sailing and living aboard. Folks like you is what fills my spirit. Thank you.
Well, I might not be one to "fill your spirit". Though I began sailing in 1957 in Ft. Lauderdale, my exploring of different cultures by my sailboat as only taken me from Maine to the Bahamas and my strangest cultural encounters have been on the Jersey Shore. Actually, I do much world travelling, but my sailboat cruising has not been long distant over oceans. This is why I was making some boat recommendations other than my own. My 41' ketch with the long keel w/cut-away forefoot and 4'3" draft is not among the top choices for those making ocean crossings. When you focus upon those here that are making ocean passages with regular success and comfort, they are more often cruising cutters or sloops with a solent rig and a deeper draft & fin or long keel, but not contiguous with the rudder. Boatman61 has made many offsore ocean passages on a variety of boats. He might provide some added insight. Now, I should add, I've known of a sistership to mine sail from South Florida to Australia and back. I just don't think it's the best choice.
Old 01-08-2014, 13:56   #30

I like what Cellestial Sailor said:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

But now as I browse the site I'm becoming aware of the different visa stipulations in regards to cruising the Med. I'm thinking that once I get on my boat and set sail I will be as free as a bird. Why do people have to make things so complicated.
Is there a better flag under which to register your boat? My primary interest is to cruise the Black Sea and visit Ukraine, I have Ukrainian citizenship, by default. I know, a tricky area as per current political issues.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: