Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2014, 07:05   #31

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Re: Need to see out from all berths - boat suggestions?

Here is an example of the dome used on the after cabin hatch of a center cockpit boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	92090  

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 11:51   #32
BAM

Thanks so much, all. This is extremely helpful! I love the Nauticat 42, I had never heard of them, and probably would have assumed it was a catamaran, even if I had heard of it. Thanks all for helping me put together my list!

Old 21-11-2014, 12:15   #33

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
And opening ports into the cockpit from the aft cabins. I don't know any non production boats with them.

Would you consider a Tayana a 'production' boat? My 52 has a port in the quarter berth that opens into the cockpit.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-11-2014, 12:26   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM View Post
Thanks so much, all. This is extremely helpful! I love the Nauticat 42, I had never heard of them, and probably would have assumed it was a catamaran, even if I had heard of it. Thanks all for helping me put together my list!
You do understand that your need to see is very illogical perhaps might even fall into the category of a phobia?

Unless you do add a dome top hatch you will not be able to see 360 degrees from any cabin in any boat. Looking out of the ports in any standard boat will show you only what is to the sides and leave you totally blind to anything in front of or behind you. The only exception I know is the pilot house or enclosed cockpit in some boats. So looking out of ports does not give you any real security.

Instead of trying to see better maybe work on security of the cabin. MarkJ had an insert made for his companionway that allows ventilation but is lockable from the inside. So you can be below but have access from the deck restricted.
Old 21-11-2014, 12:46   #35
BAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You do understand that your need to see is very illogical perhaps might even fall into the category of a phobia?
Thanks, but I'm just looking for a boat, not a diagnosis.

Seriously, how many other cruisers out there would only buy a boat if it had that one particular feature? Whether it's a particular sail plan, cabin layout or whatever, I just want to see out.

And how many of you have looked at one feature that was a 'deal killer', whether it was a traveler on the cockpit floor (that would be a deal killer for me), or something else? It doesn't have to be logical, this is my thing.

I appreciate all of you who are turning me onto boats I never knew existed, and solutions I never thought of before.
Old 21-11-2014, 13:04   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm just looking for a boat, not a diagnosis.
Sorry don't mean to get into your stuff. Just wanted to help. Your decision how you want to deal or not.

Quote:
Seriously, how many other cruisers out there would only buy a boat if it had that one particular feature?
All the time. Every sailor has his/her preferences. Sometimes it's the whole package, sometimes just one big feature. That point is not an issue at all.

Quote:
I just want to see out.
99% of the boats you can see out. It depends on how you personally define see out. If you need to see out to confirm you aren't in any kind of danger, no one out there trying to break into your boat then you have very few options.

1. Install a clear dome over your bunk
2. sleep in a raised pilot house or enclose cockpit.
3. install some kind of camera or security system.

Otherwise, cabins in a boat are exactly that, in a boat, and will not allow 360 degree visibility. If you don't really care about actual security but just need to look out a window to feel better then most boats will allow that.
Old 21-11-2014, 14:52   #37
BAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sorry don't mean to get into your stuff. Just wanted to help. Your decision how you want to deal or not.
Thanks! And flowers....awwww. I've been in the cruising community long enough to know that everyone has good intentions pretty much all the time. It's part of what I love about sailing/cruising, the way people will drop everything to come to the aid of another person.

I don't need a 360 degree view, if I think something is actually wrong, I will definitely haul my behind out of the cabin and figure out what's going on. I just like being able to peek out a window in the middle of the night and have a look.

Since I'm a retired cop and saw lots of bad stuff happen to good people, and since we are a couple of ladies sailing together, I don't think it's unreasonable to be careful. I like the camera ideas, if I had all the money in the world, maybe I'd put FLIR units all around - but see, now THAT sounds paranoid. Besides, I like windows, and light and airy spaces.

I go down below and look inside every boat I can, at boat shows, when chartering, the few times I've gotten to go racing, and I have no problem asking total strangers to let me look around inside their boats. People are amazingly welcoming - especially when we show up with a pitcher of Mai Thai's.

In looking at all these boats, I'm surprised by how many have lots of windows in the main cabin, but the V-berth and/or owner's berth is kind of a cave. And when you throw in our budget, the need for two heads, and the desired size....and couple that with my relative lack of experience with more obscure kinds of boats, then I have no problem asking for recommendations. Especially since many floor plans shown online and in brochures don't actually depict windows - there's only so many boats we can see in person in the next 12-18 months.

This is why I'm excited about these suggestions. I had never heard of the Nauticat 42, for example, and others. So thanks. -B
Old 21-11-2014, 15:54   #38
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Boats that have a raised deck in the cabin allow you to see fwd while standing up and to both sides also. With the companion way open you have a 360 view from the main cabin. It does not need to be a pilot house to have this kind of set up. But then it sounds like you are after a big boat with several cabins so it would not help much to have just the main cabin with the great view.
Old 21-11-2014, 16:58   #39
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Sounds like a pilot house configuration with a nice view while seated indoors would appeal to you.
Old 21-11-2014, 23:07   #40

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 01:34   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Bam,

I have to admit I don't quite understand where you are coming from here. What I'm really not getting is what parts of sailing are you interested in here, and why.

When you leave SD and go out into the South Pacific, if you do, you will find an environment that is far different from San Diego. What happens, for cruisers, is that as they gain experience, they learn the common sounds of their boats and the surroundings. You wake up to anomalies. One normally is anchored 100 m. or more offshore. Anomalous sounds wake you up right away.

I would suggest, if you are concerned about unwanted, illicit, boarders, you get a motion sensor and mound it at the forward end of the boat looking aft. It will "see" intruders and alarm, which will get you up right away, as you will learn also to respond to your anchor alarm.

I'm starting to get the feeling the Original Post is a designed to be diversive, so going to stop now.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 22-11-2014, 08:28   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 47

The new GoPro (Hero4 Silver and Black) cameras can be controlled remotely by using a cellphone app. So in an aft cabin boat you could look out in 3 directions but if you had your GoPro camera (they're waterproof to 131') mounted on your backstay or aft rail looking forward, you could turn on your camera and take a look at the deck view of almost your whole boat by using your cellphone, without ever getting out of bed. Plus, rather than spending $$$ on a separate, dedicated security system, you could also use your GoPro for taking fun action videos while sailing. If you do ever find someone aboard your boat, you'll have video proof to help identify them later or to justify whatever actions you are forced to take in order to remove the threat.
Old 22-11-2014, 08:51   #43

Quote:

When I did not know about Nauticats, I too assumed they were catamarans!

The Nauticat line of boats is one of my favorites, and I would LOVE to own one someday. I have looked at every one of them available on the market and while some older (and smaller) ones may be tired or dated looking, some boats are very nicely presented (looking very good, great condition).
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Old 22-11-2014, 08:54   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
The new GoPro (Hero4 Silver and Black) cameras can be controlled remotely by using a cellphone app. So in an aft cabin boat you could look out in 3 directions but if you had your GoPro camera (they're waterproof to 131') mounted on your backstay or aft rail looking forward, you could turn on your camera and take a look at the deck view of almost your whole boat by using your cellphone, without ever getting out of bed. Plus, rather than spending $$$ on a separate, dedicated security system, you could also use your GoPro for taking fun action videos while sailing. If you do ever find someone aboard your boat, you'll have video proof to help identify them later or to justify whatever actions you are forced to take in order to remove the threat.
Thanks for posting that. I think the GoPros are cool (but I don't own one yet), and that would be a nice thing to have on a mast or backstay. Using it as a remote (wireless?) camera would be cool too (I was not aware it could do that). I suppose one should consider the issue of battery life (if used nightly for security) and power availability or wiring it.
Old 22-11-2014, 09:24   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Thanks for posting that. I think the GoPros are cool (but I don't own one yet), and that would be a nice thing to have on a mast or backstay. Using it as a remote (wireless?) camera would be cool too (I was not aware it could do that). I suppose one should consider the issue of battery life (if used nightly for security) and power availability or wiring it.
I don't own one yet but have been pretty seriously shopping for one and according to how I read the literature you can turn it on/off as well as operate it and see what it sees on your smartphone screen. The new batch (4Silver and 4Black) of GoPros use both WIFI and bluetooth to communicate with your cellphone and vice versa. Supposedly, the batteries only last around an hour of operation but since you can turn it on/off remotely that shouldn't be an issue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: