Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 16:59   #1

Need tips on buying new boat

Later this year I will most likley sell my cabin and buy a sailboat to liveaboard in, my price range is about 20-30.000$ so not the highest one but should be able to get something decent for it.

I'm looking for something in the 30-35 foot range.
Have been looking at different boats, many are really nice but most lack something i want. I know I can't get everything, but some should be possible.
Things i want is a shower and wast tank so it's possible to use it while in the harbour, decent ammount of storage would be nice, and space enough to hang up wet clothes. A aft cabin for storage and centre cockpit seems like something nice, but read somewhere that they might not be good to use out on the big blue.

It needs to be well insulated since I live in the north of europe and it gets cold here, really cold...
A 'hardtop spray hood' (not sure what it's called) is also a thing i would like, so you can cover the whole cockpit with a roof.

The 30ft Rawson looks amazing, but I don't like the 'steering stick' (again not sure what it's called) in the middle of the cockpit.
I also like the Nordship 32, but would like a bit more protection for the rudder and propeller, and it seems like there is no shower in them.
The dream would be a Amel Sharki, but it's about twice what I can afford so It will be in the future sometime.

And it needs to be a good boat for sailing the big blue. Speed is not important, stability is more.
I would need a bit space inside since i need to have things like a washing machine there (will buy one of thise small ones for a caravan to use) since we don't have laundry services and so here.

I have most likley forgotten about something, but that can come when I remember it

Thanks for all answers
Smiil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 17:05   #2

Re: Need tips on buying new boat

I sailed a Rawson extensively in the mid 80's. Good boats, but most at this point are well deteriorated. Other than an exceptional one, I would say look for more common boats. Are there even any Rawson's in Europe? Cape Dory would be a "better" Rawson style.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 17:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome Aboard CF!

Here is a thread that shows many boat types that are Less Than $30k.
While these boats were found mostly in the USA, you can possibly find similar in Europe.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Here is a thread that lists Boats with Separate Shower (stall).
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-142630.html

If during your boat search you find other boats with stand alone showers, please add them (and a photo) to the thread.

Here is a list of previous discussion threads that include the topics related to "shower" including plumbing, pumps, problems, and installation in older boats.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...wer&gsc.page=1

Tip: most liveaboards shower on shore, especially if in a marina. This reduces condensation and mold issues in the boat, especially during winter, when a warm, dry, boat is preferred, due to less ventilation.

Observation: living on a boat day after day, many find they do not require a daily shower.

Good luck on you boat hunt and choice!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 19:46   #4

Even if I live on land now with access to a shower, it does not mean I use it everyday... Reason why I would want it is that it's not normal with a marina that has showers, or even toilets where I live. So would need to do my duty on the boat before I head out to stuff.

If the boat is in europe or across the ocean isn't very important. I know people that will help me sail it home for free that are experienced in sailing. And since I will want a boat that is blue water capable it will be a good test for it
Old 10-01-2018, 21:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiil View Post

- I'm looking for something in the 30-35 foot range.
-a shower
-decent amount of storage
- space enough to hang up wet clothes.
- aft cabin for storage
- washing machine
What ! No dryer ?

Very tough to find space for all that and a place to sleep in a boat that size as your budget will likely limit you to older very narrow beam vessels with 1/4 of the LOA taken up by the cockpit.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:40   #6

I looked up center cockpit on yacht world. Between 10k and 40k. 69 boats came up. Amel also has a model called euro
41. Good luck finding what you need.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:03   #7

We are thinking to sell our Etap 38I. They are compleet isolated, dray and warm in the winter, cool in the summer or in warm water. The boat is in verry good state and COMPLEET reddy to take off and wit copper coat. Price will be well more than 30000 but there is no work or direct cost to solve issues. Boat have european flag.
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 13:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWISPEL View Post
We are thinking to sell our Etap 38I. They are compleet isolated, dray and warm in the winter, cool in the summer or in warm water. The boat is in verry good state and COMPLEET reddy to take off and wit copper coat. Price will be well more than 30000 but there is no work or direct cost to solve issues. Boat have european flag.
That boat looks amazing inside, but I don't like the spade rudder, would preffer a skeg-mounted rudder or a full keel rudder. But by looking at the price of other Etap 38I's out there I don't think I would be able to afford it even if I do go to the top of my budget...

The Amel Euro I don't like the looks of, Just something about it.. The Sharki will be the one when I can afford it, or maybe something else, will see what I can afford, but that is in a few years time anyways...
Old 11-01-2018, 13:47   #9

There is a guy in Sweden selling Mariner 36 (NH US, not Taiwan built), asking price US$50,000. I know it is way above your budget but since his boat been on the market for around 2 years it may be time for him to explore a more realistic offer. In US they go for $20-30K in average shape and a bit more in better shape. But not much more at this point.

1980 Mariner Mariner 36 sailboat for sale in

The specs are incorrect. The beam is 11.5 feet and draft is 5ft.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 16:01   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You may have to resort to laundry buckets. A washing machine depends on a larger supply of fresh water than you are likely to carry, and then you look at watermakers, and you discover, if you are realistic, a huge electric demand plus a huge plumbing challenge. The boat you will be able to afford will not readily accommodate a washing machine.

Ann
Old 11-01-2018, 16:42   #11
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The hand-tumbling pressa-wash style are excellent, very water-efficient a, nd with hot water clean as well as a Maytag.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 17:54   #12

That Mariner looks nice, might just give them a call when everything else is ready (if it's still for sale).

And I don't mean i'll have a massive washing machine, was thinking of something tiny like this one:
It's meassurements are 36*34,5*47cm, so very tiny. But a washing bucket is also a option, or thescrubba
Old 12-01-2018, 10:55   #13

I think that you deep can barg on a boat like this! Good boats, ... but difficult to resell them later on!
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:01   #14

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

we had a separate shower, but it was mostly used to hang up wet clothes.
Showers were easier in the cockpit, with a hand sprayer and a shower curtain.
Some things may not be as important as you think.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyboats View Post
we had a separate shower, but it was mostly used to hang up wet clothes.
Showers were easier in the cockpit, with a hand sprayer and a shower curtain.
Some things may not be as important as you think.
I have friends with the same boat and many have never used the shower. I use ours often, and prefer to shower onboard rather than trudge up to land. Our shower IS the head, no separate section. Not a big deal at all. You use your towel to wipe up or a separate rag. I don't sail where it's often warm enough to use a cockpit shower.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying