Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2012, 12:20   #16

Re: Need Surveyor in San Francisco for Initial Evaluation

Wet deck core could be an issue with ANY boat you look at. I'm not sure why people have focused on that with your cabinet question. But it IS good to keep in mind. I doubt if the rotten cabinet ply is an issue to reject the boat on. My experience is that wet deck cores will not necessary make the decks feel spongy at all. A surveyor will tap lightly all over the deck, usually with a small hard hammer . His trained ear can tell a very slightly dull thud from a stronger ring. It's a bit of an art for sure, . I've never seen a rubber mallet used, not sure how you would hear the difference with that, but as I said... it's an art! So to each his own. At least that boat doesnt have teak decks, which if screwed on, almost always result in wet core. Good Luck!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:32   #17

Boat: Sceptre 36

Find out from the Broker who the previous potential buyer was and get contact info. Offer to buy their survey from them at 1/2 what they paid. He gets some of his money back and you save yours. Win win. He may have walked for some reason you have yet to discover.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:49   #18
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
Find out from the Broker who the previous potential buyer was and get contact info. Offer to buy their survey from them at 1/2 what they paid. He gets some of his money back and you save yours. Win win. He may have walked for some reason you have yet to discover.
The other broker was not very cooperative supplying any information. He says they tried to buy the survey from the buyer, but he wouldn't sell it. He also said that he suspected that the buyer just bought something else and used the survey as a way out, but they had it out of the water so... My broker suggested that the listing broker MUST have known something, so (imo) his refusal to divulge anything was suspicious when I looked at it some time ago.

I spoke to the owner directly back then, and he did not even seem to know about the rot in the cabinet, which I also thought was odd. I didn't want to answer questions about the boat and just wanted a "clean" offer and I get get my own inspection. He's an architect so I understand how he might be leery about saying much, but it's a little worrisome. At this point I might be willing to take a chance on a survey though. Just waiting to hear back from my broker on another boat before going further. Did I mention I hate waiting?
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:54   #19

I smell a rat! I have never had anyone refuse to sell me a survey and therefore get back money otherwise wasted. I have bought several and they all resulted in me walking away.
Old 23-02-2012, 13:06   #20
Marine Service Provider

My broker doesn't want to get involved in the purchase since we had a bad experience with them in the past and he's suspicious. Plus he says the paint will be $20,000 to fix on that boat. Maybe he's right and I should just buy the Cal 34.
Old 23-02-2012, 13:09   #21

Waiting is way better than buying a money pit that you will have to live with for a very long time.
Old 23-02-2012, 13:46   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
Waiting is way better than buying a money pit that you will have to live with for a very long time.
I only want to sail it as far as Australia, but yes, I get your point.
Old 23-02-2012, 15:11   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Worldwide Marine Surveys, Inc.

351 Embarcadero
Oakland, CA 94606

Peter Minkwitz, surveyor.

As a professional boatbuilder who isn't normally impressed with surveyors, I can't recommend Peter enough.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 15:11   #24

Sent PM
Old 23-02-2012, 18:58   #25

i'm getting a strange smell too... :>) But, talk to the surveyor and get a price for in the water inspection and then the additional for the out of the water. Haul etc are expensive, so if the boat doesnt pass in the water, just let 'er go.....

Old 23-02-2012, 19:18   #26
Marine Service Provider

Got hold of the surveyor. Deck has structural damage from rot. At least 6k to fix but probably more. Engine mounts are shot. Motor would not go over 2800 RPMs but should go 3600 RPMs. Then there is the paint which is cracked right into the gel coat, and would cost in the $20k range to strip and paint. Despite all that, the buyer might have considered working something out, but apparently, Mark Miner, the listing broker who I had the problem with it while there, also pissed off that buyer, so he would NOT sell the survey to them. I guess that part was true, but the circumstances as to why he would not sell it were left out. Kudos to the surveyor who felt it would be unethical for him to not let me know what he found before I did something on the boat, and did not want to be paid to inspect the same things a second time.
Old 23-02-2012, 19:21   #27

+1 on that surveyor.

Old 23-02-2012, 20:44   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
I don't think the owner will let us drill test holes...
You've already told us that there are holes above the rotted locker. Not hard to figure out where the surveyor will look for rot. Trust me, a surveyor will be able to figure this out. Rot detection is not rocket science.

The one thing your already know is that a previous buyer walked away from the offer he/she made after surveying the vessel. If that buyer wanted to get his/her deposit back, he/she would have had to indicate where the boat failed its survey. That means the owner has an idea why the boat failed.

If you're serious about making an offer, tell the owner you will make your offer, contingent on passing survey, once he/she tells you where the boat previously failed survey. If you don't get a persuasive answer, walk away.
Old 23-02-2012, 21:31   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You've already told us that there are holes above the rotted locker. Not hard to figure out where the surveyor will look for rot. Trust me, a surveyor will be able to figure this out. Rot detection is not rocket science.

The one thing your already know is that a previous buyer walked away from the offer he/she made after surveying the vessel. If that buyer wanted to get his/her deposit back, he/she would have had to indicate where the boat failed its survey. That means the owner has an idea why the boat failed.

If you're serious about making an offer, tell the owner you will make your offer, contingent on passing survey, once he/she tells you where the boat previously failed survey. If you don't get a persuasive answer, walk away.
A couple of posts up you'll see I already talked to the surveyor who did the survey on this boat that's being discussed here. So it's a moot point. I can't afford to fix this boat.
Old 24-02-2012, 16:17   #30
Marine Service Provider

Well I bought the Cal 34. Looking for a surveyor in Marina Del Rey now.

Tags
san francisco, surveyor