Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 20:34   #1

Need some boat suggestions

Hi all - im still busy compiling a list of possible boats based on what ive managed to assess by reading etc..

Id pref like a pretty ok sail-able vessel (no barge nor racer) that can comfortably do the 5-6 kt average under regular.

Some of the criteria would be in variation from important to very preferable - note id like suggestions of boats that appear now and then and can be picked up for cheap -

Please dont lecture me prices, im not asking for advice here. Ive seen 15k boats sell for 5k because the owner cant fix the motor (which just needed some work on the manifold etc

* Center cockpit - I want something with a queen size-ish aft berth bed, and a passage connecting to mess without having to crawl up and back down.

* Pref 70s-83 boat. I reckon this was the prime era of fibre glass boats, good layering and quality control

* Im 6ft 2, so obviously headroom is a issue, at least 6-4 wd be doable.

* storage - Im planing on filling 2 scuba setups, so wd like to have a boat thats known for storage space. I dont think going by berth alone is much telling.

* I would prefer to have a centerboard / shoal draft combo for reefs. Im not 100% settled on exact design, i know full keel points best, a fin is the best compromise, but a 3-4ft draft with centerboard would probably be fine for coastal cruising.

* I would think 30-38 ft is my preferred range. Id like higher up in the 30s simply because I might have 4 ppl onboard (2 couples) and just two of us on other times, and wd like to have a little bit of extra room.

* Not exactly sure how to phrase this one, but some boats seem to have a wet waterline. with a center console this is maybe not such an issue -

* Lastly - I guess a boat that doesnt hobby horse too much (not so important), but wd be nice if this could be avoided.

I plan on cruising the Caribbean and surrounds, possibly for a year or two -

many thanks!
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 21:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Need some boat suggestions

Center cockpit, centerboard/shoal draft, 30 -38'????..I can think of many nice center cockpits, but generally a few feet longer (there are some in your LOA range such as Dickersons, oday, an s-2 cc, but no shoal drafts come to mind--except for a Morgan OI 41. Generally, 30-38 is too small for a center cockpit. Have you considered, Endeavours, Morgans, Whitby, peterson, Bristol??? A good broker might be able to help you more than anyone. Although her sailing characteristics upwind are lacking, I really think the Morgan OI 41 is your best bet--shoal draft, very roomy, lots of headroom....designed for Bahamas....what say ye fstarocka???
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 22:30   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Need some boat suggestions

I'm on an iPad so I don't know where you are but you just described a Swanson, 42 or 38, except for the shoal draft, we draw 6'. But if you are not in Oz they are rare as hen's teeth.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-09-2015, 06:03   #4

gr8, ill look into it.. nice suggestions.. im pretty sure columbia / coronado made a roomy center cockpit 34ft - although not 100% sure because there are so many variations.. i believe there was a very "roomy" 30ft boat, (Tartan / Alberg 30?) very popular in the US (i gotta try find it, ) - like i said, 4ft draft with centerboard wd be ideal coastal.. this will also be a live aboard..

some options here - Popular Cruising Yachts from 30 to 35 feet (9.1m to 10.7m) Long Overall - some of the boats have a lower waterline, and i assume this would be a wetter boat and possibly give less headroom?

some more suggestions here - not all necessarily c-board - but still options i guess.. most important is the internal space - keel setup i guess could be traded as less important -
Old 10-09-2015, 06:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Fstarocka---If you are talking an older Tartan 30 or Alberg 30, you are missing out on headroom and spaciousness and they are not center cockpits. You wont even have room for SCUBA tanks. You are not far enough along in your search for me (or many of us) to really be able to help you. You are all over the place. Why is shoal draft so important? Are you going snorkeling or SCUBA diving? Is 6'4" headroom so important (it's not all that common in the LOA range) Narrow down your parameters and stick to them or you'll be searching for years. Center cockpit or not???? Why don't you do a lot more research and then come back with specific questions? Yachtwolrd allows advanced searches with such parameters.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarocka View Post
Please dont lecture me prices, im not asking for advice here. Ive seen 15k boats sell for 5k because the owner cant fix the motor (which just needed some work on the manifold etc
However, why not give us an indication of your budget limit? That way, you'll receive more cogent responses. Are you playing in the $5-15K range, or are you ready to step up to the big leagues? For $395K, I know exactly where there is a boat with your name on it. For $5K, you're on your own.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:05   #7

hi - yes i have searched.. alot of the cruising will be in the carribbean and ive just read deeper drafts limit access to many places and increase your chance of getting stuck..

center because ive seen some impressive center cockpit boats with a small passage way to the front..

under 40 purely for sailability if there is 2 on board..

i surf and fish and am new - so just trying to get some ideas - pictures online are not very accurate in what the "space" feels like to live aboard.

6-4 because i reckon if i had to move around inside in rough weather theres less chance of me hitting my head on something (im 6-2).. i dont want to always be crouching inside my boat if im standing -

like i mentioned not everything is not a 100% must - just options id prefer.. roominess being quite a priority -

i am constantly looking around - will prob only be buying in a yr or so (perhaps sooner) but it would be nice if i had a small arsenal of boats to keep an eye out for that meet some of the criteria..

the boat will primarily be for fun coastal cruising with friends / partner - diving, fishing / surfing along the way - yes perhaps my 30+ ft was a bit ambitious - but I have not seen the spacious smaller boats, so have no idea what is possible. I did sail on a 34 hunter for a weekend and got a nice idea of the int size - so ive always thought perhaps a 38-42ft wd be about right.. but then so many ppl say thats too big - although my thinking is a little extra space never hurt anyone -
Old 10-09-2015, 07:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarocka View Post
... pictures online are not very accurate in what the "space" feels like to live aboard.
That's incorrect. You must first know what the photos indicate. Stove height, number of companionway steps, etc.

I guess you don't wish to answer my question, but for $5K or $15K I have no advice.

For $349K, this is the exact boat you describe. How's your piggy bank looking these days?

1984 Little Harbor 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:25   #9

Boat: Hunter 30

I'm sure you will get a lot of naysayers on this, but consider a Hunter 30. Look at the 1974-1983 models. These are the Cherubini Hunters. 6'2" headroom, lots of space and storage inside cabin (10'2" beam), comes in shoal draft, sails wonderfully, sturdy, strong, dependable, good in rough water, sails 5-6 kn in good wind, use the quarter birth for scuba gear, full size fold out table, sleeps 6 (5 with quarter birth taken up). Got mine a year ago for $3,900. A deal you can't beat. Just my opinion and thoughts.
sailingodyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:29   #10
Marine Service Provider

fstarocka I still get indications that you are all over the place and have not had enough experience with different boats to really know what you want. You severely limit yourself by a few things: A--budget--we dont know what it is B draft--is shoal draft so important? C Center cockpit or not and D enough room to store SCUBA tanks? E Headroom? You seem to be concerned about too many details that may not be material..but you dont know yet based on your experience. Go see more boats. Start working with a broker or keep reviewing hundreds of photos and going...well..nowhere in particular
Old 10-09-2015, 08:17   #11

Another way to say what folks have been trying to tell you is that the "criteria" you have posted is inconsistent with the reality of the boating industry. And this is true even if you completely forget about budget.

"70-83" is one. Those boats were almost always small. Why? Because of the rating rules at the time and the designs that were produced. Larger, beamier, deeper boats, with actual aft cabins (usually in aft cockpit boats, too) didn't start happening until in the mid-80s.

"Center cockpit" - While I am not familiar personally with CC boats (I dislike the design inherently, but many do like them), the smaller ones were clunky looking and the bigger ones which did work visually were much larger than your range. Try a Google search on "Landfall" for example. CC are not more dry than other boats, since that has much to do with the shape of the hull, not the position of the cockpit. Your basic understandings are incorrect.

Headroom is obviously important for someone of your size. Undoubtedly in the 70s and early 80s there WERE skippers who were as tall as you were. They either ducked a lot or bought bigger boats.

Draft and centerboards - for your planned cruising, it is not required. There have been numerous discussions on this board about this very subject, so when anyone starts off by saying: "...what ive managed to assess by reading etc." it only means you need to do a LOT more reading. What I suggest is to take Steady Hand's suggestions about using the Google search feature on this forum (and NOT the regular search feature) in the upper right search bar. There was a discussion within just the last month, for example, where someone with a 7 (yes, seven!) foot draft said he'd cruised comfortably in the Caribbean with his boat. Learn to read a chart.

"Hobby horsing" - Where did this come from? This occurs generally when a boat is overloaded at the ends and is usualy not an issue from a basic design point of view.

Now, back to budget. Your attitude could use some adjustment. "Don't lecture me on budget" is not a great introduction, and sounds pretty harsh. It's also not a good way to engender positive and helpful responsess. Why? Because it IS important. As you've seen.

Good luck, happy hunting, but YOU need to do a lot more research and homework, because what you've asked is like saying: "Can I get to the moon in a VW bug, convertible?"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:58   #12

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

You might want to consider an O'day 37 designed by Raymond Hunt and built by Bangor Marine. It's a center cockpit with a 5-foot draft. I have no experience regarding headroom, but the aft cabin can only be accessed via the cockpit. They were not particularly noted for robust construction but adequate for the time.

I'd be inclined towards an old Peterson 44 (less the black iron fuel tanks). They meet neither your length nor draft requirements but are have respectable overall performance (under sailing conditions should easily manage your 5-6 knot speeds).

Good luck!
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:45   #13

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Fstarocka - The brand, Bristol, has already been mentioned. i would be more specific and say the 35.5..built from 1978-198ish..keel-centerboarder, draws 4' with board up...My 1978 is narrow (10'10") by today's stndrds as has been mentioned. Starboard cockpit locker can accommodate scuba equip x 2 and then some. Head room, i am 6'1", but at 6'3" you might need to take your shoes off. 1978 is very solidly built, flies down wind, but struggles a bit going to windward and 6-7 knots on a beam reach in 15k of wind. Prices from mid-20's to mid-60's, based on condition. good luck in your search.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:54   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Are you taking the boat through the Panama Canal or going around Cape Horn to get to the Caribbean?

I always wanted to sail to Hawaii from the west coast like the guys do in the SHTP but there's the problem of getting over to that coast.

just another thing to think about........................
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:59   #15

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Fstarocka - The brand, Bristol, has already been mentioned. i would be more specific and say the 35.5..built from 1978-198ish..keel-centerboarder, draws 4' with board up...My 1978 is narrow (10'10") by today's stndrds as has been mentioned. Starboard cockpit locker can accommodate scuba equip x 2 and then some. Head room, i am 6'1", but at 6'3" you might need to take your shoes off. 1978 is very solidly built, flies down wind, but struggles a bit going to windward and 6-7 knots on a beam reach in 15k of wind. Prices from mid-20's to mid-60's, based on condition. good luck in your search.
Those boats look to be pretty awesome. I'd like to see one somewhere nearby by in the mid 20's.

I believe 45k and up is more like it. (ok. Quick check on sailboat listing there are two for 35K)

BRISTOL 35.5 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote