Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 19:41   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Need some boat suggestions

Fstarocker, here's a bit of advice for you: get off the internet and go spend some time actually going aboard some boats in the size range that you think you want. pretty soon you will see just how naive some of your thoughts have been. Things like having a queen size berth in a 30 foot center cockpit yacht that also has storage space of lots of scuba gear (along with all the other stuff that you need to go cruising) just don't exist, and for a good reason: it won't all fit into the envelope of a sailing yacht.

Then have a look at what the prices are for boats that do come close to meeting your specs. Even bargain boats tend to be outside your limits, and bargain boats are inevitably "bargains" because they can't be sold for more money, and that is usually because they are not worth more money! There are few philanthropists in the yachting world, so the chances of finding a boat selling for way less than its market value are pretty slim.

Finally, you need to rethink some of your premises... things like believing that full keel boats point better than fin keels. Basing your selection criteria on incorrect assumptions will surely lead you astray.

Oh, I don't recall if you told us that you actually know how to sail. From my perspective, trying to define a boat that y ou don't know how to operate is unlikely to work out well. At least it wouldn't have for me...

Jim
Old 07-01-2016, 19:57   #32
Marine Service Provider

Right on Jim-it is a real drawback on here when the OP does not even know how to pose a question and expects us to jump with helpful advice--and then does not directly answer the question about budget. It would sure be nice if the OP could come down to Earth and follow up so we can see if there has been any progress. Calling the galley a kitchen and asking if he can remove an integral bulkhead so he can get from the master bedroom down the foyer to the kitchen......30' 38' And why is 4.5 drat so important....he should find a trashed Gemini 30 but it wont likely happen for 15k...Anyone who is not sure about MHO should at least re-read this entire thread
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 20:20   #33

Sorry if my original questions seemed vague.. And apologies for not being direct, I'm still wrapping my head around alot of things.

Yes, months ago I asked some questions, and I'm still learning more as I go along.. So bear with me, not everyone is a salty dog with X thousand miles on their logbooks..

I have done a minimal amount of sailing, and I'm not entirely sure when I will have the money and timing, trust me I'm slowly drawing a picture of what I want (more or less).. And I'm grateful for the responses, but just a friendly reminder that folks/newbs like myself need to ask incomplete questions to learn..

My friend who I started sailing on in the Puget sound had a hunter 34 or something .. The aft cabin seemed very cramped.. The reason I want a walk through to the "galley" was for privacy..

I recently found the Hughes Columbia 36 which seems great, and there is an oday with similar specs..

Anyway, I'm trying to build a shortlist of possible boats so that when the time to shop comes along I've done the tiring research..

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 20:27   #34

Also, 4.5 draft because I read that the risk of running aground and possibility to venture into some places are reduced in the Caribbean with more, just many opinions I've read..

Center cockpit because all the boats I've looked at with walk though with private aft cabin were ctr cockpit. Swing keel because it offers the best of both worlds to an acceptable extent..

Just to add .. I have quite alot of technical skills, engine building, welding, fabrication, glassing, interior work so I am quite capable of doing alot of the maintenance stuff.. I'm even confident to do my own standing rigging.. Just some perspective of where I'm at..

Hope that helps some.. And I'm going ahead with this, so I'd appreciate a motivational tone rather than a bashful one if I may ask that scratch the ol grey beard if thou must.. I'm going sailing someday..

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 22:17   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So it sounds like a Peterson 44 (as previously mentioned) or Endeavour 42. A swing keel and a walk through to aft cabin... sounds like an old Tartan or Morgan, but I can't think of one offhand with both. You have gone through bluewaterboats.org? Check the "boats to vote for" list there too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 22:29   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Found it. Morgan Out Island 41 Classic, 415, 416.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote