Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 22:41   #16

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Thought the Question was about Blisters

Thought the question was about blisters. Not major delamination. I have not seen blisters of the minor nature evident if the boat has been out of the water for six months unless they where lanced prior. On most of the haul outs I have seen a portion of blisters start reseeding after boat has been out of the water for a day, does depend on how dry the location is. Quarter sized blisters or smaller would be very hard to sound. Are you not in fresh water, from what I have seen fresh water boats experience less osmosis than the salt water boats.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:27   #17
w42

Boat: Whitby 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
Thought the question was about blisters. Not major delamination.
Yes, but posters to this thread have mentioned tapping and delamination. Did you not read this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
I have not seen blisters of the minor nature evident if the boat has been out of the water for six months unless they where lanced prior. On most of the haul outs I have seen a portion of blisters start reseeding after boat has been out of the water for a day, does depend on how dry the location is. Quarter sized blisters or smaller would be very hard to sound. Are you not in fresh water, from what I have seen fresh water boats experience less osmosis than the salt water boats.
I have seen blisters "dissappear" in a matter of minutes between the time the boat was hauled to when it was blocked 30 mnutes later. That was in salt water on a rainy PNW day. Best to look for blisters right after it has been pulled from the water, after the bottom is pressure washed. Mark any ones you find with a paint marker. If you have the tools with you and you can lance them right there, do it.
w42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, inspection