Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 18:43   #16

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Need some advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefevah View Post
Good evening folks! I need some advice. I am looking to purchase a used sailboat but with soooo many options I need some advice on where to start.

I have been powerboating for over 20 years on Lake simcoe and the great lakes and plan to stay here for now but under sail. I have a wife, ten month old and a dog with likely another child coming in the next year. I'm thinking we should be in the 34-36 foot range thoughts?

I like to visit Georgian Bay and thus I think a shoal find keel or at least a keel under 5 ft is a must. I'd like air/heat, windless and three stateroom configuration if possible. I'd also like a walk through transom for ease of loading the kids/dog. I believe a single diesel is the way to go for power.

I don't have a lot of experience sailing (I've sailed a bit in the keys) but my wife has a fair bit on day boats.
Are you planning to live on this boat, or do some recreational sailing?

I'm not seeing a huge benefit to a walk-through transom in my minds eye, but I am seeing big benefits to the wider decks and multi-cabin layout of a catamaran.

However, in the price range the catamarans will be a bit of compromise for you, as that size catamaran is not quite as liveable as a larger catamaran at twice the price.

A monohull on the other hand will have to be much, much larger and deeper-keeled than a catamaran to offer a 3 cabin layout , and will have a somewhat more restrictive deck layout (as the rear deck is typically full of helm equipment, and the fordeck with rigging).

I'm working on a line for a solar-powered air conditioner. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll try to keep you aprised of my progress.

Except for that, heat and air are difficult to do well on a sailboat unless it is at dock.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 18:44   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If your kids grow up with it, they will accept small cabins as long as they're sailing with you; you don't miss what you don't have.

Ann
Old 03-07-2014, 20:09   #18

Boat: Whitby Continental 25

Try to find a nice CS36T. Well built Canadian made production boat. Very good quality fit and finish and a nice sailor.

There is a shoal draft version 4'10". Ideally a 33hp westerbeke early models were a 30HPl. If you can find the starboard quarterberth version, you wont be disappointed with the layout.

Pat Sturgeon in Mississauga (broker) is a great resource for all things CS

Good luck with your search
shiloh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 23:41   #19

Boat: 45 COLUMBIA MOTORSAILOR

Look at the Gulf-star line of cruising monohulls. They are shallow drafted center cockpit and very solid. I would either look to a ketch or a staysail-sloop version for
Easy handling for you and your wife. Lewamar winch systems now have a sync system and with roller furling sails you can remove75% of heavy work Start from 42-48 no larger.
Glad you are considering sailing in the long run you will save thousands!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nolandan is offline   Reply With Quote