Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 16:19   #1

Need small outboard for Columbia 28

Looks like I'm going to need a replacement outboard.

The Nissan 15 2s that came with it needs $700 in repairs and it's old! I'd rather get something new, or newer that will last.

So, what do you think would be the lowest hp I could get away with? Boat is 28' and displaces 6500.

I'm think 6hp.

Thanks,

TC
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 16:21   #2

Boat: Jensen Marine 24.5
Send a message via Skype™ to iamadifferentbreed
I use a 9.9 Evinrude for my 25 footer.....good mileage and extra power when I need it.
Old 03-05-2013, 17:01   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Need small outboard for Columbia 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcul View Post
Looks like I'm going to need a replacement outboard.

The Nissan 15 2s that came with it needs $700 in repairs and it's old! I'd rather get something new, or newer that will last.

So, what do you think would be the lowest hp I could get away with? Boat is 28' and displaces 6500.

I'm think 6hp.

Thanks,

TC
I had a 6hp on my 25' Irwin, around 6000 lb., and it did a really good job, even against a current. i would suggest you look at the most difficult places you're likely to have to motor through. Longboat Pass here can be wicked, and if you don't have forward progress at the Venice Inlet you can end up on the rocks.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 17:07   #4

I took the nissan in and got an estimate of $388. A week later, I get an invoice for $655! Nobody bothered to call to authorized additional work. Original estimate clearly stated they can't go over 10% of estimate without further authorization.

If I knew the old engine like that needed 655 to get it running, I'd have sold it for parts, and spent double that amount for a newer engine with lower hp.
Old 03-05-2013, 18:25   #5

Boat: Jensen Marine 24.5
Send a message via Skype™ to iamadifferentbreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

I had a 6hp on my 25' Irwin, around 6000 lb., and it did a really good job, even against a current. i would suggest you look at the most difficult places you're likely to have to motor through. Longboat Pass here can be wicked, and if you don't have forward progress at the Venice Inlet you can end up on the rocks.
Longboat Pass is one reason I went with a 9.9.....plenty of power when I need it.
Old 03-05-2013, 18:33   #6

Another issue is that the outboard on my Columbia 28 is in a compartment that used to be the stern lazarette. The motor can't be tilted to keep the prop...etc. out of the salt water. I have to take the motor out of the compartment and store in the cabin. PITA! So lighter is better.

TC
Old 03-05-2013, 19:23   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcul View Post
Another issue is that the outboard on my Columbia 28 is in a compartment that used to be the stern lazarette. The motor can't be tilted to keep the prop...etc. out of the salt water. I have to take the motor out of the compartment and store in the cabin. PITA! So lighter is better.

TC
Would an engine davit work for that compartment? I was looking at them to lower my 6 hp down to my dinghy, but I decided it's just too big and heavy for my purpose.

I don't suppose you live in the St. Pete area, do you? My engine is in great shape, and you could try it to see if you think 6 hp is strong enough or not.
Old 03-05-2013, 22:51   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

My friend removed his Atomic 4 from his Columbia 28 and installed a outboard bracket on the stern and used a Honda 7.5. Was just perfect except for the raising and lowering of the engine if you have back problems. 4 strokes are heavy. You could get the prop out of the water without having to remove the whole thing.
kind regards,
Old 03-05-2013, 23:49   #9

Torqeedo 4? More than you want to spend, but I bet you wouldn't regret it.
Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:52   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a 2011 four stroke 5hp Mercury extra long shaft outboard mounted on a Panther Bracket on my 6600lb Bristol 27, and it does fine even out in the bay on windy days. Mine has the pull start and I did not get the alternator since I have a 60W solar panel.

The Mercury, Nissian, and Tahotsu 4, 5, and 6 horsepower engines are all the same. (except for maybe the carburetor) And they have the same block. Also a 4 stroke 5 horsepower engine of today is about the same output power at the prop as an older 7.5 hp 2 stroke. (or more) The 5hp is around 58lbs I believe.

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Nissa...FStyQgodX2UAsw
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I have a 2011 four stroke 5hp Mercury extra long shaft outboard mounted on a Panther Bracket on my 6600lb Bristol 27, and it does fine even out in the bay on windy days.

The Mercury, Nissian, and Tahotsu 4, 5, and 6 horse power engines are all the same. (except for maybe the carburetor) And they have the same block. Also a 4 stroke 5 horsepower engine of today is about the same output power at the prop as an older 7.5 hp 2 stroke. (or more) The 5hp is around 58lbs I believe.

Oh yeah. Mine is 6, and it weighs 66 lb. A block system on the end of the boom could pull it up and down for that matter. I think it would do the job, and ... it's for sale.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:06   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Oh yeah. Mine is 6, and it weighs 66 lb. A block system on the end of the boom could pull it up and down for that matter. I think it would do the job, and ... it's for sale.
I'm not sure what model yours is weighing a few lbs more but I can reach over the top stern rail, reach down, and pull my engine off the bracket and place it on the dinghy engine mount on the rail and I'm old.............so it's somewhat heavy but not too bad at 59lbs. (for the extra long 25" shaft model) They are showing the 6hp Mercury at 58lbs.

MERCURY 5HP OUTBOARD MOTOR

http://www.shopoutboards.com/Mer-6-hp-6ML.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I'm not sure what model yours is weighing a few lbs more but I can reach over the top stern rail, reach down, and pull my engine off the bracket and place it on the dinghy engine mount on the rail and I'm old.............so it's somewhat heavy but not too bad at 59lbs. (for the extra long 25" shaft model) They are showing the 6hp Mercury at 58lbs.

MERCURY 5HP OUTBOARD MOTOR

MERCURY 6HP OUTBOARD MOTOR

Lighter is better! Mine is a 20" shaft. My boat had a cut down transom and 25" would have been too long.
Old 06-05-2013, 19:54   #14

Thanks for all the fine replies fellers.

This may sound funny, but I'm actually thinking of getting a scullmatix and just sculling to and from the dock.

Boat is docked in Pearl Harbor. Obviously not going to scull the two miles or so around Ford Island and out the channel. Just need to scull 100 yds away from the dock, raise sails and sail away. Then do the reverse on the way back.

Eventually, yeah, gotta get a small outboard.

I just boat the boat. Ain't gonna shell out 500 bucks to fix an old outboard that was never meant for the boat. That's what I get for being such a dumbass and not having the outboard pulled and inspected!

I told the repair shop they can keep the dang thang. When they first looked at it, they said it would be $350 to fix. My gut told me then to just pass on it and just sell it and be rid of it. They talked me into getting it fixed, then I get an $650 invoice a week later! The owner of the boat repair place did all the painting and previous repairs for the previous owner (they shelled out $20k plus!). So when I took the outboard into their shop, they felt me out pretty good to see if they could make more money off me. "Need bow sprit and stern rails? Need new capstan? Need this, need that? Hmmm. We can help you! What's yer budget?"

tcul
Old 07-05-2013, 15:28   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

This is going to sound weird but I think I'd go get the outboard you just had fixed and pay the money. Sell it and get something a lot lighter. Yes, the boatyard saw you coming and figured if you can dock your boat at Pearl you must have lots of money (at least you are employed).
I'd sailed in and out of Pearl a gazillion times before there was a bridge but these days I don't know what the rules are sailing vs motoring. I've heard they had some strict stuff going on after 9/11. Might they have relaxed a bit?
Good luck on whatever you do but I would opt for a smaller lighter engine definitely.

Tags
columbia, outboard

« Mac25 | Surveys »