Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2005, 19:18   #1

Need Pricing on New Boat Engine

I’m looking at picking up a boat and was told it needs a new motor and need to get an idea of what this will cost me. Any ideas?

It’s listed as having an Isuzu, C240 (4 cylinder)

Since pictures are worth 1000 words, here’s the picture they have posted of this engine.

Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 21:58   #2
Kai Nui

$8000.00-$12000.00 plus labor for a comparable engine. Perkins or Yanmar would be tour best bet. You may be able to get the pisces rebuilt for around 6000.00-7000.00. Depending on what is wrong with it.
Old 18-09-2005, 07:11   #3

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Motor

I recall when it was customary to rebuild motors. Is that possible with the yellow motor?
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 09:21   #4

Send a message via AIM to Cool Change
Engines

Some years ago I needed to replace two Diesel Engines on my then 38' Bayliner. I contacted the "Mercury Test Center" they often have engines available, I was able to secure two (one had never been run anf the other had about 8 hrs, on it) Volvo TAMD 41 comperssor turbo charged 230 Hp Engines including transmissions for the paltry sum of $16.000, removing the old engines (Chrysler Mitsubishi 130Hp engines) and installing the new Volvos came to $4.000 ( I gave the mechanics the old engines, apparently they would be usefull as spare parts for commercial fishing vessels.
Not a bad deal?
Ib
Cool Change III
Cool Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 12:26   #5
Kai Nui

In most parts of the world, the isuzu engines are still very popular. Rebuilding is still an option,and a very good one at that. THat is why reman engines have a core charge. Still, it depends on the damage to the existing engine. THere are real advantages to sticking with the engine you have. One is the availability of parts. A lot of Isuzus out there, and even the industrial engines and road engines have parts that will interchange. The other big advantage is the installation. BY the time you retrofit a different engine, you will be into the installation cost at least 3 fold, plus all those annoying little parts that will not fit, such as wiring harness, exhaust, and water intake hose. Of course, few things will increase the resale value of a boat than a new engine with a warranty. Most reputable rebuilders wil give a warranty of 3-6 months. A new engine will have a warranty from 1-5 years.
Old 18-09-2005, 14:58   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
What about the rest....

It is easy to forget when looking at an engine that the engine is only part of the picture.
If you change an engine then all the associated parts (contols, fuel system, exhaust, engine mounts etc.) also have to be changed or upgraded. It can come to a lot more money than you might think.
Why not find out what is wrong with the engine. Michael Comptons book "Troubleshooting marine Diesels" is a good place to start.
Instead of a new engine the money may be far better spent (if you must) on upgrading the electrics, fuel system, exhaust etc.
These are the parts that cause problems. The basic engine, well cared for, should give long reliable service.
If you need a price for a new engine then contact your local Yanmar distributor, ask your local mechanic how much to install, and then deduct that from the asking price, along with all the other items that your surveyor will come up with.
Old boats are very hard to sell, so do your homework and bargain hard, maybe moaning about how expensive and difficult a new engine will be.
Then if you buy the boat try fixing and maintaing the old engine. You never know how good it will be until you use it.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 20:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Get a price fro never-monday on this board. I bought a Beta genset from him and it is all that I could ask for. He know what he is doing.
Old 18-09-2005, 20:25   #8
Kai Nui

I agree. His posts speak well of his expertise. He will also be able to help weigh the additional costs of upgrading.

h
Old 18-09-2005, 22:59   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I tried replying to this this morning, but I had an internet problem with the BB.
You have had good replies, and I will just add strength to some good replies. What exactly is wrong with this engine???
Isuzu make a good reliable engine, parts should be easy to get and not expensive. Just depends on what other work needs to be done, and how much you can do yourself, as to if rebuild is worth it. I suspect it will be worth it. Kai Nui was accurate in saying the cost of fitting a new design can be much much more expensive than just the purchase price if the engine. However a Yanmar would be a good choice for that situation if you want to go that way.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 07:40   #10

Try and rebuid your existing engine if it goes that far.Putting in a new (different make)engine will probably have a different footprint.$ New starter and alternator$ Prop shaft will change in length,with my luck too short$ New control panel $ Might need to use a different prop due to engine torque curve and operating RPM $ New coupling.....Well you get my point.If you have the money go for it,or by the sounds of it you are trying to sail on a budget,than fix/rebuild.That`s why I have an old chugging 4108,got one in a small loader,genset ,old tractor, welder and 3 more laying around just in case.
Dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 09:24   #11

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
this is for info not for sales.

In a four cylinder Yanmar starting at 54hp all the way up to 100hp the list prices are as follows

4jh4-e 54hp $13,316.00 fresh water cooled

4jh3-te 75hp $15,339.00 turbo/fresh water cooled

4jh3-hte 100hp $17,719.00 turbo/fresh water cooled

These prices reflect a complete drop in engine with panel, basically drop in hook up, align and go. 2yr/2000hr warranty.

The hp you need is dependent on what the hull displacement of your boat is. An example 11000lb displacement START at 22hp.
In your labor figure a good mechanic is going to estimate 30 to 40 hours labor.

As a Isuzu dealer here in the United States I can tell you that parts are not easy to get. They are out there but hard to reference. Manuals are related to the industrial side of your engine. The c240 was used in forklifts and such. Pices was and I stress was the marinizer of your c240 and they're no longer. There is an outfit in Canada that still carries some of their parts.

windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 15:37   #12

Windthief,
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that. I was told that if I repowered with an engine other than OEM it would have to meet all of the current EPA standards and that the USCG was really hard on EPA standards right now.

I found a this same engine, (new), and with a warrenty for $5900.00 plus $300.00 for shipping. My concearn is it is only the engine and I would have to pull the wireharness, transmission, mounts, brackets, etc. off the old engine for the new one.

When you said the parts are hand to find did you mean 10 to 20 phone calls or next to impossible and six months to a year to find a part?
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 16:44   #13

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
REPOWER

To answer the E.P.A issue. The Coast Guard isn't too concerned about the E.P.A regulations when it comes to rebuilding an original engine. But a new repower does have to be up to specs. Any new engine supplier worth looking at for a non O.E.M. repower will be up to speed with the E.P.A.

Now when I have to get parts for people with Isuzu engines I, in most cases need the serial number and model. I go through the old and outdated parts books I have and then confirm the order with the nearest distributor to my dealership. Usually one or two calls to a specific person will get me the right part for the customer. Who ever you get parts from make sure they have a great relation with their supplier.

best of luck.
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 17:34   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
That is the first that I have heard of EPA regs with regards to marine engines.

What is the story on that?

In other words, what exactly does the EPA regulate with regards to a non-OEM substitute engine?

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 20:36   #15
Kai Nui

A "drop in" is not quite that. You will have to make modifications. A short anecdote: A customer of mine, who's Atomic 4 I had been nursing for about 5 years, finally HAD to repower (I refused to putty it back together anymore). He purchased the Beta Marine "Atomic 4 replacement". Besides, modifying the fuel tank, new filtration system, heavier cable for the starter, and complete replacement of the exhaust system fromt the truhull forward, after the stringers were redrilled for the different spacing, and the companionway step was rebuilt to accomadate the longer engine, we realized that the oil fill was on top, and the engine was only 1" below the cockpit. We solved this by installing an access port in the cockpit.
So, there's your drop in. I realize you are going from diesel to diesel, not gas to diesel, but these problems are guaranteed for any retrofit.
As for the EPA, I know the California smog Nazis really limit what can be sold new or installed in new boats, but I have never heard of anyone enforcing the rules after the engine is purchased for a used boat. Although, they have talked about extending Opasity testing to off road vehicles, thay have not done it yet.