Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2016, 13:43   #46

Re: Need opinions on this boat

From the c-list ad:
"One who is willing to do a little sanding and painting, a bit of fixing up. But don't doubt that she isn't ready to go to sea at a moments notice. The price reflects that she has minor needs, she is easily worth more than twice what I'm asking."

Each time you see a "TLC" or some such wording in a boat ad you can immediately translate it to: "Too damn expensive for me to fix". And you start from there. If, as the seller claims, she could be worth $25K with "a bit of fixing up" why does he not fix it up "a bit" and put her on the market for $25K?

It seems that this boat can be a good project (most boats over 30 years old are projects, some are good and some not so good) for anyone who is a) handy with all kinds of repairs, b) has tons of free time on his hands (or is very marginally employed) and 3) has very few $$ for the initial purchase.

And never, never estimate initial purchase price+your investment into repairs/refit (both of time and money) as a benchmark of what the boat will be worth once fixed up. Most, I'd say 90+% of such fixed up boats, are not worth nearly enough after the refit. You'd be lucky to get 50% of what you put into her after all work is done. But if you plan to keep and cruise the boat long term than this investment will make perfect sense as your goal would be not a boat which is a money saver/maker (an oxymoron ) but a boat which will take care of you and your loved ones for years to come.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 13:48   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

by the way--if boat is in san diego--take it to mazatlan.look me up first. if boat is in guaymas, bring to mazatlan.look me up first. i know how to make these boats good with littlle dough, as it is not necesary to invest tons of dough to properly repair and restore a boat, especially here. remember my 100 percent rebuilt runaway engine was under 4000 usd including all fuel system rebuilt as well as engine.
my new boom is under 100 usd-- was 1200 pesos. exchange is 18 peso to one usdollar.
now find more excuses not to buy survey be damned., if it is in san diego, use kjels christian as surveyor. ,he is honest. 100 percent honest. christian and assoc. tell him i sent ye. he knows me as karen. most of the brokers in sd refuse to use him as he finds too many things .. lol...

as for island times words--- these are not production boats and are very well worth the time and effort to keep em going. ye cannot beat em for ocean cruising.

oh!! i have yet to sand mine. i have owned my 41 since 2008. i wash it with salt water, 3m scrungee. perfect/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 14:12   #48

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
... i know how to make these boats good with littlle dough...my new boom is under 100 usd...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
...40 yr old tanks are not an issue--reweldable nicely...i just finished re welding much of my taiwan built tanks...
Reminds me of the famous axe that had given such good service--it had only had its handle replaced 5 times and its head replaced twice.

I have a feeling that what you consider "good enough" might not be everyone's cup of tea. Like a $100 boom or 40-year old tanks that have no issue, but need re-welding.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 14:26   #49

As usual we have two camps here. The well to do "nothing less than a Bristol shape boat, no expenses spared" (nor considered) and the other - plucky DIY types who'd rather be sailing in a leaky tub (figuratively speaking) than not sailing and dreaming of sailing someday in a perfect boat.

I remember a while ago a discussion here about replacing a mast on a 35-40 footer with the first type quoting prices of $20-30K and up and the latter saying that these masts can be obtained used from boat yards or private parties for under $5K, often well under that.

OP probably knows which camp he belongs to and will act accordingly.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 14:27   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

What is in the bottom of the keel on this boat ? I read some where that some may have steel balls (scrap Pachinko(sp?) balls) and/ or punchings mixed with and without cement..I dont know what the truth is concerning this statement but it has been passed around for yrs.
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 14:29   #51

Steel punchings in concrete is true.
Old 24-01-2016, 14:34   #52

It depends, the ballast can be most anything since a lot of those ct's were built to order, mostly by naval personnel. Some have lead external, a lot have concrete internal, and others have external iron. Each boat really is different. Again, an experienced surveyor is essential(most surveyors are poorly trained as we have found out when repairing a boat or testifying in a lawsuit when the new owner found out the boat differed significantly from what the surveyor said).
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 14:36   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
What is in the bottom of the keel on this boat ? I read some where that some may have steel balls (scrap Pachinko(sp?) balls) and/ or punchings mixed with and without cement..I dont know what the truth is concerning this statement but it has been passed around for yrs.
Islander yachts had loose steel balls as ballast.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 14:53   #54

sorry you feel the need to bash the re fitting work of others. you are dead wrong. as usual.
take a look at my 1200 peso boom. it is PERFECT. i will be allowing the wood to hang out, with a clear coat over the epoxy sealer.
eat your heart out.
ipe/perota/huanacaxtle/guanacaxtle.
1200 pesos.
i win.
as usual.
re-welding my tank should make it last a lot longer than i will be needing em, as i will be resourcing the stainless to other needs, creating built-in integral tankage, fuel and water, while in mazatlan, among other changes and additions.
those of us who have the resources are able to use them. those without get to spend a lot more money . what i am doing , in usa would cost thousands of dollars. as i am at the source, i am golden. my total should be, when completed, under 10,000 usd plus what i have in my engine, a bit under 4000 usd, including entire fuel delivery system.
it is a shame more folks donot know how to utilize resources. it is also a shame that these same folks try so hard to scare others away from a potential purchase merely due to ignorance of reality.
there is more than one reality in the world of boat building and rebuilding. not everyone has standards as low as are yours, nor ignorance as deep.
my refit is what cheechako would estimate at closer to 100,000 usd, and will only cost me centavos on the dollar.
i win yet again.
oh yeah. the bubbles seen in the epoxy coating on my perota mizzen boom will be gone by the time the boom is finished. and it will still come in under 100 usd. estimated value in usa-- priceless. hand crafted perota wood mizzenboom. research it and tell me how my thousands of usdollars i SHOULD have paid for it. it is 13.5 ft long. original bronze fittings. ss bale and endpiece..

BALLAST in ct is concrete in an encapsulated keel. add yard findings to concrete and have many wild rumors .
Old 24-01-2016, 15:07   #55

Zee--I think you got what you paid for...a $100 boom. Looks exceedingly solid and heavy. But the grain seems inappropriate for a solid spar.
Old 24-01-2016, 15:16   #56

Another consideration is the apparent absence of some cover over the cockpit. Any cover needs to work with sheeting such as for the main or mizzen, or hanging tender. If you envisage cruising, then a successful cover is absolutely essential. Looks nice though!
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 15:20   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
As usual we have two camps here. The well to do "nothing less than a Bristol shape boat, no expenses spared" (nor considered) and the other - plucky DIY types who'd rather be sailing in a leaky tub (figuratively speaking) than not sailing and dreaming of sailing someday in a perfect boat.

I remember a while ago a discussion here about replacing a mast on a 35-40 footer with the first type quoting prices of $20-30K and up and the latter saying that these masts can be obtained used from boat yards or private parties for under $5K, often well under that.

OP probably knows which camp he belongs to and will act accordingly.
the third camp is to contract a mexicarpenter to recreate one new one exactly as the old one. the work is immaculate and impressively inexpensive. i am coming in at around 80 usd for a mizzenboom of 13.5 ft made of perota , and i will also be remaking a main boom and a set of repairs on my main and mizzen masts and mebbe re building a sprit of perota, just because i want one. this stuff is awesome gorgeous. quite pricey when yer not in mexico, also.
these hollow box spars are not rocket science. built right and maintained correctly, they last over 50 years easily.

with non production boats, one MUST think outside the box, which seems to be the main problem most have with these solid and excellent cruising ketches.

as for covers...rodlmffao--shirley you jest. covers are nonessentials and created easily and inexpensively of beautiful woods here in mexico while underway, so you know what you WANT, not what some yottie thinks would mebbe be cool for cocktails at the dock.
Old 24-01-2016, 15:28   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Zee--I think you got what you paid for...a $100 boom. Looks exceedingly solid and heavy. But the grain seems inappropriate for a solid spar.
ok you have shown your hand. you lost.
formosas do not use solid wood spars.
they use EASILY REPAIRED hollow box construction with reinforcement blocks in masts and stringers in booms.
my boom is not as heavy as it appears. you may wish to research construction and boatbuilding before criticizing someone you donot know.
you may as well also lay off criticisms of formosas and cts as you have proven to know NOTHING about them , not in the manner of construction nor of the materials used to construct them.
there is nothing production about them, and there is nothing cheap about the materials used in the construction. except the ballast, which is encapsulated concrete inclusive of yard findings, aka metal stuff. the encapsulation is complete.
Old 24-01-2016, 15:50   #59

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Go get em girl

I posted this earlier today on another thread

When your opponent sinks to the level of the asinine, it tells you he has already lost the argument.

I see you are making some real progress in your jobs list Tis great to hear.

HUGGLES
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 15:59   #60

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

to the op;...with your budget I would recommend a bit more modern design, while this boat is pretty,...too much wood, too much maintainence, too slow, just my 2 cents