Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 18:27   #1

Need newbie advice please

So my wife and I are moving to Alaska in a yea or two and will be taking up sailing so that we can explore the Southeast part of the state. We will both be taking several sailing classes up there, I might start taking some now here in Oklahoma. I know there are some large lakes nearby and I drove past one and saw a marina there with some sailboats in it.

My questions are these...for now.

1) Please recommend a solid beginner vessel that can be gotten for less than say... 20000$. Something that is forgiving and easy for a single person to handle.

2) What things would you Definitely want on your beginner vessel to make life a bit easier?

3) As our experience and skills grow we are looking to possibly going up to something like a cal 40. Our thoughts are that the larger craft will be more comfy on longer cruises and we may someday want to tak it to mexico or Hawaii or even further. Is the Cal 40 a good craft for some with low to moderate experience? If not what craft is that is 30'+ in length and is blue water worthy?

Thanx for the replies and help.

Dropy
Dropy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, paracelle