Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 18:39   #1

Boat: ...none yet
Need input...

Today I ended up checking out a 1981 Hunter 27', as a novice I have no idea of what to look for other than the obvious stuff. The boat has some minor damage on the outside, as per the current owner no other major problems. I posted the pics of the outside (no inside pics yet). Asking price is $4999.

Here are the pics:

Hunter27

Any advice/observation would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Ardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 18:44   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Need input...

I think you can do better for that much money, or get the price down a lot. At a quick glance that crack and rust stain at the top of the rudder would worry me more than the hull scratches.
Old 22-02-2013, 18:46   #3

One word, no ... two words of advise: marine survey.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 18:48   #4

What would a fair price then be?

All im looking for is a boat that I can use for a season or two to learn how to sail. Basically, as long as the boat is structurally sound and can float I would be happy! Is that naive?
Old 22-02-2013, 18:55   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Basically, as long as the boat is structurally sound and can float I would be happy! Is that naive?
That is a great way to learn, but I think you can find a better boat for the same or less money. That one at a glance looks like it needs a fair bit of work to be seaworthy. A quick CL search found this boat in RI for a $1000 more, but it also looks to be in much better shape. I'm convinced you could find something for $5K that is better than the one you showed us.
Old 22-02-2013, 19:00   #6

When I spoke to the owner he said that he would be willing to drop the price. It seems that i would be able to get it for 2500-3000, whats a fair price in your opinion?...As far as what you guys can tell form the pics, what are some things that need to be fixed and what would be their appx cost be? (by the way thanks for the responses, appreciated!)
Old 22-02-2013, 19:08   #7

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I'm convinced you could find something for $5K that is better than the one you showed us.
+1

I would recommend to keep looking too.

A little more than $5k, but much better condition.
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-...&ID=33150&mh=1
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 19:15   #8

I am aware that there are better boats out there, my question is what is this boat worth then? 1000? 2000? I am hoping to bring the price down to 2500. I think given the fact that all I really need is something to learn on, spending 5-6-7000 this year would not be smart or useful, since my plan is to get a nicer boat in a year or two
Old 22-02-2013, 19:15   #9

Boat: Mac 26X

I'm a cheap boat guy and I'd sure say to keep on looking! Now if you were to say the engine was near perfect, the sails were fully useable and the rigging was fit...then yeah maybe $3Kish. BIG ifs. For comparison I sold my Irwin 28.5, slightly older, but better shape, inboard good, sails good...took buyers out for a sail, worked it hard...for $3800. But I also have NO idea what things are like up there. If you come to Texas I can find you a really decent boat for $5K

IMVHO...in this price range, skip the survey. Now a good friend with some knowlege will be much MUCH better than listening to the PO.
Old 22-02-2013, 19:16   #10

That Hunter has NOT been loved. Looks like the sailing equivalent of a work-boat.

So, although the visible damage may be mostly cosmetic, I'm guessing the boat is long past due for a total refit. At $2500 for the boat, I have trouble believing the inboard is anything more than a retirement plan for a mechanic. What are the sails like?

I'd walk away, myself.

Kettlewell's find in RI - that's more like a boat that someone actually loved, and kept up. [edit] and that Bristol 24 that Rhapsody linked to... that's a sweet boat. Too nice for a beginner!

For $3k you could probably get a trailerable 20 to 23' mini-cruiser that will be cheaper to maintain, easier and more fun to sail, and alot easier to sell when you're ready to move up. My two cents...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 19:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
For $3k you could probably get a trailerable 20 to 23' mini-cruiser that will be cheaper to maintain, easier and more fun to sail, and alot easier to sell when you're ready to move up. My two cents...
Also a very good idea!
Old 22-02-2013, 19:27   #12

Interesting observation, when I was checking out the boat it seemed ok to me! Now, I know that the boat is not in the greatest condition but what im looking for is an affordable boat that I can actually sail this summer. So far every response was negative, again I know that its not the greatest boat but my thinking is as long as I can sail it I would be ok with payin 2500 and have something I can sail...
Old 22-02-2013, 19:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi View Post
Interesting observation, when I was checking out the boat it seemed ok to me! Now, I know that the boat is not in the greatest condition but what im looking for is an affordable boat that I can actually sail this summer. So far every response was negative, again I know that its not the greatest boat but my thinking is as long as I can sail it I would be ok with payin 2500 and have something I can sail...

Then DO IT MAN!!!! You asked, we answered.

I can't speak for these other guys, but I have boaught and sold and refitted and built like 6 boats in 4 years. I just sold a 25' Grampian for a friend who left town suddenly that looked the same outside and had a running ourboard and full and nice sails. We got a LOT less than what you're wanting to pay, and thought we did well.

What we're saying is, we believe you CAN get what you want for $2500...but that it could be better than THIS boat. But like I said, you don't have enough info. If EVERYTHING else is in the SAME BAD SHAPE as the pics you have shown...it's a BAD BUY
Old 22-02-2013, 19:48   #14

You can pay now or later ... or keep looking for a better buy.
This boat will cost you more than the initial purchase price.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 19:57   #15

I am def listening, hence posting here! Ive been looking for the past few months and most of the boats in the 2-3k range seem about the same, I guess Im wrong. Either way your advice is appreciated, thanks!