Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 20:15   #16

Re: Need input...

This was not $2-3K boat, it was $5k boat as advertised.

If you look for a better looking boat in $5-6K range, most likely you will get it for below $5k. Just keep looking, asking questions and learning as much as you can.

Good luck and keep us posted ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 20:17   #17

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi View Post
I am def listening, hence posting here! Ive been looking for the past few months and most of the boats in the 2-3k range seem about the same, I guess Im wrong. Either way your advice is appreciated, thanks!
And I'll say again, I don't know that area. but there ought to be lots of cheap boats there after Sandy!
Old 22-02-2013, 20:20   #18

Well, good point ... I was not even thinking about Sandy boats ... these go at auction for $100-200 staring bid.

The guy might really need a surveyor or a boating friend who knows how to check for water damage.
Old 22-02-2013, 21:09   #19

Boat: ...none yet

ah! the pleasures of buying a boat lol....after reading all the responses ive been browsing through the listings and ran into this one, whats ur guys take..

1985 Hunter sailboat for sale in New Jersey
Ardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 21:25   #20

Good first impression ... looks like the boat was taken care of.
Old 22-02-2013, 21:49   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Here's what I would look for in your situation. You want something that you practice and learn on for a year or two for the minimum investment.

That goal implies that you don't want something that you spend time and money fixing instead of sailing. So give a very careful look at the things that need to work to get you on the water.

1. Motor. Will it crank when you turn the key, go into gear and get you away from the dock? Do whatever it takes to make sure you aren't buying an engine repair project. If you aren't qualified then get a buddy who is or pay a mechanic a few bucks to check it out.

2. Rig. Check the wires, especially the fittings on the end to make sure the mast will stay attached to the boat. Also very closely inspect the chain plates, the bolts that attach them to the boat and the bulkheads where they are attached. Don't forget the one at the bow where the forestay attaches.

3. Sails. OK you are going out to win any races but trying to sail with totally blown out sails is a drag. First just look at them to see if they superficially look old, stained and ragged. Look at the stitches, especially in areas where the sail may chafe, areas of high stress, etc. Hoist the sails and look to see if they have a smooth curve when trimmed and sailing.

4. Rudder and steering. Make sure the rudder and bearings are tight. Not a lot of slack anywhere in the system.

5. Hoses and through hulls. Make sure these are all in good condition and the seacocks open and close. Good boat doesn't do any good if a hose pops and the boat sinks at the dock.

6. For your plans maybe not as important unless it got really, really bad. Most boats the decks are built in a sandwich with plywood or balsa between layers of fiberglass. Works great until you start drilling holes in it to mount winches and tracks and such. Over time water can leak in and rot the wood core. If you're keeping the boat this is a problem. If you want it for a year or so if the core rot isn't too bad and the decks are not delaminating I wouldn't worry about it. But I would point it out to the seller and lower the price.

For a learner most of the rest is just extras.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:39   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
ah! the pleasures of buying a boat lol....after reading all the responses ive been browsing through the listings and ran into this one, whats ur guys take..

1985 Hunter sailboat for sale in New Jersey
See! That one's a whole lot better. I think that first one was abandoned and then went through Sandy.
I would suggest you find an experienced sailor friend that would be willing to look at any boat you happen to like before you invest any real money. Some times it's takes a while but right now is the best time to look in the Northern States. Come summer, they'll go fast.
Old 22-02-2013, 23:14   #23

Boat: Mac 26X

That boat is like 1000 times better ON THE INTERNET! If a real life inspection doesn't change that opinion go for it. Do you have a friend who knows boats? I'm a huge fan of outboards on smaller boats and that's a plus for me. Sails inventory, lots of recent work done indicationg well cared for. Actually that sounds like one hell of a deal.
Old 22-02-2013, 23:29   #24

im getting better
Old 23-02-2013, 05:20   #25

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

As part of the deal, try seeing if you can get a sea-trial. That way you know for sure that it floats and does sail. The '85 Hunter looks much better.

I hope it works out for you. It does look pretty good to get on the water quickly without a lot of work to begin with.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 05:43   #26

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Quote:
I am aware that there are better boats out there, my question is what is this boat worth then? 1000? 2000? I am hoping to bring the price down to 2500. I think given the fact that all I really need is something to learn on, spending 5-6-7000 this year would not be smart or useful, since my plan is to get a nicer boat in a year or two
I'd offer 2500, and if the seller doesnt want to dance, go find one who will. Ya gonna be learning on that anyway. Drop 2500 on it, sail it as is locally, then re-sell it for 2500. No need for a marine survey on a cheap boat. IMO its a waste of money on a 2500 dollar boat.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 06:01   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Check Craig's list or local listings for inexpensive sailboats see what there is find a decent one offer 2500 if they don't dance give 1500-2 for the hunter and scrap it or sell it cheap when u move up... Just have fun

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 06:46   #28

Boat: Watkins 29'
The first Hunter is a pos and will be real hard to get rid of when you realize what a mistake you made buying it in the first place. The second Hunter looks good at first glance but should be looked over by someone who knows what they are looking at. 3 k seems like a fair price but keep in mind that's only the cost of admission... After you buy the boat there's tax and registration, insurance, slip, maintenance (bottom paint zincs etc) winter storage, upkeep. You may even need to get an insurance survey in order to get insurance which probably wouldn't be a bad idea anyway..
Old 23-02-2013, 07:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
The first Hunter is a pos and will be real hard to get rid of when you realize what a mistake you made buying it in the first place. The second Hunter looks good at first glance but should be looked over by someone who knows what they are looking at. 3 k seems like a fair price but keep in mind that's only the cost of admission... After you buy the boat there's tax and registration, insurance, slip, maintenance (bottom paint zincs etc) winter storage, upkeep. You may even need to get an insurance survey in order to get insurance which probably wouldn't be a bad idea anyway..
I figured there would be other costs. Im ok with all of them, as long as I get to sail .
The second hunter def looks better on paper than the first one. IM going to call the guy and check it out, will keep you guys posted.
Old 23-02-2013, 07:39   #30

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

This boat is worth $1200-$1500 tops! Use it to learn the basics of sailing, and learn how to fix "marine related issues". The guys on here, will suggest to you what you need to do to make it seaworthy...on the cheap. Consider it as a learning kit, and ALWAYS wear your PFD, and carry with you a fully charged phone when sailing it; dropped some hints there. Have fun! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote