Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2008, 03:19   #1

Need help with serious boat problem!!

I have been driving past an 1981 Ericson 26' sloop. It stares at me!!!!!!! And whispers at me too!!!!! "Buy me! Buy Me!!!!" I don't know what to do!!

LOL!!! It is driving me crazy!. I am looking for a sailboat about 30ft that can be used for coastal cruising and Bahama trips. It needs to be big enough for two to live on. And where I can standup init, I am 5'10". I am not sure about this boat, thats why I am asking.

This boat has an outboard motor in a well. It needs work but I think I can get it cheap but I am not sure if its big enough for what I want to do. I am looking for something under $10,000. I have not been able to get on the boat or get with the owner yet. It is on a homemade trailer. I can see the potential but as I said, I am not sure it is big enough or that an "outboard" motor will hold up to "cruising". (I really want a diesel engine).

Abb
Newbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 03:45   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473
As far as I am concerned size comes down to comfort. How comfortable do you want to be?
How long will you be cruising?
I have crossed over tho the Bahamas and felt like I could have waterskiied the whole way. On other occasions I was wondering if the 42 foot boat I was on was large enough.
Cheap isn't always good and used outboards that need work when you first buy them have a tendency to never be reliable...ever.

What does your oher half think? That might be near the top in the list of important questions.

Take a good look at the boat and determine what you will have to buy to make it ready to cruise then add that amount to the sale price. Take that number and go back to the market. I bet you can find a slightly larger boat thats been cruising in that price range. If its being used regularly now, chances are more systems on the boat will be serviceable without additional cost. If that makes any sense.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 09:28   #3

I agree with SilentOption.

Also, all the Ericson 26s I could find on yachtworld had diesels - presumably that's what these boats were designed for. If you want to support any reasonable degree of electric devices/amenities, you need an inboard engine or other charging source.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 12:50   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'd say keep on driving or take another route.
A 26' gets pretty cramped in a short time. For 10K there are lot more options!

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ncedSearch.jsp
Old 18-10-2008, 13:33   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I owend a couple 26 foot outboard powered sailboat that I took to the Bahamas on 5 or 6 trips of 1 - 2.5 months each, most were in a Westerly Centaur which as more interior space than most 26-foot boats.

A smaller boat can get the job done, but personally, for not much more than you mentioned, I'm currently purchasing a 30 foot Morgan Out Island which will have notably more space and a solid inboard engine. (I know there was another on the market with an asking price of 12.5K) While I got by and had many wonderful trips in a 26-footer with an outboard, unless trailering is really important to you, I really think it's worth considering an inboard diesel and a boat with a bit more space for trips to the Bahamas. Also consider the shape the trailer is in. Replacing a trailer in a couple years can cost almost as much as the boat you are considering.

Another thing to look into is insurance. Insuring a 26-foot boat on a trailer with an outboard for Bahamas coverage may prove problematic.

I think you will also find that 30-foot boat costing around 10K may not cost you any more to dock/store or insure than a 26-footer. My docks charge for a minimum of 30 feet and insurance is going to cost X amount regardless fo the boat length.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 00:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I have a 26 foot boat with inboard power. I have made 50-60 mile 3 day trips. I couldn't really imagine extended cruising in it. It's a great learning and weekender.

I wouldn't really want to do ocean trips with a transom mount outboard either.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 03:05   #7
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I have a friend that has a seidelman 29.9 for sale that fits your needs. Six foot plus headroom , beamy, diesel, under ten K. Email me off topic and Ill give you his phone number if your interested. Boat is located in St pete florida.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote