Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 02:00   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Need help in purchasing my next boat!!

Dear fellow sailors,

I am new to this forum. I am looking to purchase a boat for "kindofliveaboard" and could use some help: however, unlike all the posts I have seen so far, I know pretty well what I want/need, so this time don't expect to get away with a "it depends" !
(and please, forgive me the English mistakes, as it is not my first language)

Before starting: This request is actually quite a challenge. I have technical, comfort, and price requirements, that require extended knowledge of all brands and models throughout the past 20 to 30 years and of the used market situation. If you don't have any answer, please simply do not answer. But don't tell me it doesn't exist. It does

So here is the situation:
- I am looking for a boat to liveaboard together with my wife b/w 3 to 6 months per year, it is to say when I am not working in some random area of the world.
- Ideally I would keep the same boat for extended cruising (up to 1 year) involving ocean crossings once in a while.
- I want to be able to singlehandle this boat, and do not have the budget for a "fancy all electric", so I want to keep the size imperatively under 42". Also size comes with a price at purchase and in the marina, so the smaller the better.

Technical requirements:
- b/w 30 and 42 feet. The smaller the better, as far as it matches other requirements.
- safe, strong, seaworthy.
- low maintenance
- diesel engine
- complete electronic for offshore navigation, recent or upgraded electric system (nothing done in the US before 00', nothing done in Europe before mid '80s).
- if it comes with correct standing rigging so I don't have to change it all, better.(s/t winches, lines arriving in cockpit, clean deck.)
- in good overall condition, hull in excellent condition.
- simple rigging setup (not a ketch: less is best)
- center cockpit is a plus.
- speed under sail is not a main requirement. Although I enjoy it, I understand I will have to compromise at some point (with budget and comfort)

Comfort Requirements:
- the best stateroom/owner suite possible (mandatory: a queen size bed or bigger, walkaround if possible, standing height in the berth). NOT A V-BERTH.
- a real good bathroom (mandatory: shower, head, lavatory, enough space) - enough water storage capacity (I think about 200g would do the job)
- a correct galley (mandatory: 2 burners, ice box, stove, 1 sink. Ideal: 2 sinks, microwave).
- hot/cold water would be great but not mandatory.
- good storage capabilities.
- outside space!! Enough FLAT space to enjoy the deck on sunny days or eat comfortably outside.
- correct number of ports so I don't feel like it's night at midday when on the nav table.
- autonomy of at least 5 days (cooking/showering/using electricity): I don't know if it means a good battery or if a generator is necessary, I don't have enough knowledge here.

I do not care about anything else. 1 head, 1 berth. No need for extra head, extra berths, extra space, big living room... All that is unnecessary to me and if I can avoid it, less things to pay for and care after.

Budget requirements:
- I want to keep it under 40k, ideally under 30k (USD). Before I get comments, I know it is possible. I saw a hunter 40 in mint condition at 45k and this boat had twice as much as I need. So why not a 33 or 32 with less stuff and space, in the same condition, for less than 30? I am ready to go up to 50k, but this would be for a real crush. Ok, it's a headache, but if it's easy it's not worth it It just requires the ability to think out of the box. Of course I am not expecting a Beneteau or a Cheoy Lee to come as an answer.

Thanks to whoever feels like giving me a hint here.
Cheers,

Decca
decca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:22   #2

Re: Need help in purchasing my next boat!!

Correction: 200 liters of water, not gallons. = 50g.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:38   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Have you tried using Google?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:44   #4

Very funny. You are exactly the kind of people who would answer "it depends, there is no perfect boat for liveaboard" if it was an open question. And this being specific, that's all you've found. Congrats.
FYI I have a list of about 20 boats that could fit the bill and I am extensively searching. But experience of other people is always good to take. When they have some.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Bottom up analysis?

If you already have a list of possible boats why not post a few of them? It's possible some members would know them well.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25   #6

OK. So far I have been considering a few different models. Here are what I believe to be the closest match (in the older models: it is easy to find a good match in the newest 30-33 range boats, but the price...)

Westsail 32 cutter
Hunter 40 (1985)
Coronado 35 CC (well, maybe not for the ocean crossing part)
CC landfall 39
39 O'day
Lancer 40
Morgan OI 41

Good but not so close to what I am looking for:

Hunter passage 42
Gulfstar 41/43
Bombay clipper 31
Cheoy Lee 36 cc
Irwin 42
Endeavour 38
Maple leaf 42
Whitby 42 (perfect if it wasn't a ketch and slightly too big) also over budget.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

To get all you want in a boat in good condition for under US$40K will be difficult. Not impossible but will take some looking and you will probably have to settle for a boat that is in not good cosmetic condition and needing a lot of repair and replacement of equipment.

If you are considering the Morgan OI41 you might want to also consider the OI36. Possibly the roomiest 36' sailboat ever built. The layout is very similar to the 41 and like the 41 does not point well but does ok off teh wind.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:47   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome aboard Decca. Good luck in your search.

It's very good that you have been specific in your requirements but I am confused in that I don't know if you have a question.

- Your requirements are specific
- you have a list of potential boats, although quite diverse.

Do you want to know if you can find this boat for 30-40k? Or do you want boat reecommendations?

What will be the most challenge is to find this boat in "sail away" condition for the price you want. But you already know that so I am still confused about this question.

I do not have experience with all the boats you listed but would be partial to the Westsail 32 as I am sure it can do what you want. One in sail away condition traded hands here in Singapore about 1 1/2 years ago at your price point.

So your job is to find all the boat selling sites and do the search.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:16   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

You have some interesting choices. Sometimes location is very important to finding the right boat. I don't see Columbia or Cal on your list of boats but I see Coronado.

Do you have the opportunity to walk the docks and see what you have actually listed? Can you approach boatowners and ask to see below decks. Are there any brokers in your area so you can look at boats?

kind regards,
Old 07-01-2012, 12:42   #10

@skipmac: thks, the morgan OI 36 is actually even better, the size suits me more. Will be added to my top list!
@ex-calif: my requirements are what I am looking for ideally. Then, on request, I listed what I have found so far, that is sometimes a pretty good match (e.g. westsail 32, I agree with you one of the best match) and sometimes less... What I am expecting from this thread is that people will either add boats or remove boats from my list because either they know about a boat matching better my requirements, or they know that one of the boat I listed simply doesn't.
Of course if someone comes up with a specific boat for sale that matches, I won't say no. But that is not what I am asking for. I can do the research myself (and did) but I wanted to crosscheck with other people's experience and see if I missed something or if I got something wrong.
@skiprjohn: unfortunately I cannot see any boat from where I am and there are no brokers (in the Pakistan/Afghanistan mountains...). I have a friend who can survey in the US, and for the rest of the world I would survey myself+professional. Location is not an issue if the boat is in sailing condition. If not I prefer in the US/central america. I will be back in May/June and would like to have a boat by then. So I can take my time and wait for a good opportunity.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43   #11

I just spent a few hours looking for boats, and I came accross the Bayliner 32 buccaneer. I know, I know. BUT, here is my question: if someone managed to put 2 double berth and 2 heads and a roomy interior + 1 real single berth + 1 living room + the biggest galley ever in less than 32" of course compromising with the seaworthiness and sailing capabilities of the boat, why not a boat about 30" with half less (no need for extra berths and head, but still I would die for this aft full size stateroom) and good sailing abilities?

Come on, it has to exist!

Tags
liveaboard, purchase, purchasing, sailing