Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-02-2007, 09:28   #16

Boat: 26' Clipper Marine
Send a message via AIM to Drexel Engineer
More Info

Well I thank you all for the advice so far....its pretty much been 50/50. No help. My plan is to to do a lot of the wood working myself. For example, on the profile picture the front hatch needs to be re made this is something I am confident I could design or just copy and do on my own. In fact, I don't plan on OEM'ing anything on this one. I will go back and make some more considerations to the moisture test. The hanging paint in the cabin, that is ater damage? Can I just repaint that fiberglass so long as the material is not soft from water? Also, the boat has not seen water in 10 years. So I take it the only water damage could be from pooling inside the cabin? The hull looked pretty sound when I checked her out.

The possible buyer

Old 13-02-2007, 09:48   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
If the hull and deck are sound the Columbia is a good starter boat. Figure it will take you three times as much time to do the work as you think. If you like projects like this and you aren't looking trying to break even (or make a profit) then this may suit. It does look like the guy is trying to get you to pay him to get rid of his problem though, though this can be hard to gauge with just a few pictures.

FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 10:44   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
I used to own a 70's Columbia 26 and that one isn't one. C26's do not have the clipper bow and the interior is different.

Mark
Old 13-02-2007, 11:09   #19

The side of it says "Clipper MK 26". Is that good bad? Is this model any good?
Old 13-02-2007, 11:28   #20

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Is there a poptop cabin ?
Old 13-02-2007, 11:29   #21

Yes, the area above the cabin comes off.
Old 13-02-2007, 11:41   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah, it's a Clipper Marine boat, not a Columbia. Don't know anything about them.

Mark
Old 13-02-2007, 11:44   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

But I do know how to google: "Clipper Marine Sailor"

Seems there is some connection between Clipper and Columbia - Bill Crealock designed the original (MK1) Columbia and the Clipper MK26, although they don't share many similarities.

Mark
Old 13-02-2007, 11:45   #24

Check out this link. It could be the CM/26.

history

Paul
Old 13-02-2007, 11:54   #25

Boat: C&C 27
This could be fixed but there are better project boats out there. Think of this like an art car project. You are going to pour a lot of money into it that you will never recoup. Also you may never be able to get rid of the finished boat unless you give it away. If you want a challenge and a challenge is more important than the finished product this may be OK. Along our local waterfront there is a large number of boats that are freebees, just haul it off, so you may wish to look around a bit before you commit.
Old 13-02-2007, 12:09   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"GO FOR IT, IF YOU CAN GET A SAILBOAT FOR $250 "
Isn't that the question? Can anyone buy this boat for $250?

I submit to you that no one can buy this boat for $250, they can only put down a $250 down payment on it. The balance will consist of five or ten thousand dollars worth of "necessary repairs", even if there are no other problems. And, unless the buyer has a trailer and/or cradle and a yard to keep it in, the boat can cost another $2500-5000 for the first year's storage costs while they are working on it.

What you pay up front, is the least part of what the boat costs. Unless you can take it right down to the water and start using it. I'm guessing that for most people working solo, this boat is 1-2 years away from the water. And a lot of dollars.

Almost every good engineering job has to involve some accounting, and the question of "Is this economically feasible?" Unless the boat is so uniquely beautiful she's the Venus de Milo, and absolutely MUST be saved.<G>
Old 14-02-2007, 04:30   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

As already said, work out if you can afford the mooring or storage costs - but if so I would say "go for it". It's a boat for $250!

As long as she floats and the rig goes up with sails then IMO anything else is just a bonus. Indeed I suspect that if you can get her rigged and floating you will have no problem getting yer $250 back and quite possibly a few more dolllars. Time & effort cleaning up and painting stuff will make a great deal of difference. Just accept that without good cash you will not be ending up with anything flash - but IMO more than servicable / liveable. Indeed I would say that for this type of boat out of CHOICE I would not throw good cash at it.

My main consideration would be to know whether all the rig was present. Engine wise it would be nice if she had a fully functioning inboard - but out of choice on something this size I would choose an outboard for cost / ease of replacement. If this is how she is powered at the moment then IMO great, if not fitting an O/B bracket and finding a s/h small O/B should not be any great problem.

The next question is whether she leaks! But Fibreglass / Epoxy can work wonders. I suspect that any problems would be around fittings (seacocks and possibly the rudder). The cheapest way to deal with leaking / unsafe seacocks would be to remove them and fill the holes! (Chemical Toilet or Bucket for the head and a basin tipped overboard for the sink will work). Water coming UP = bad. Water coming down = PITA, but can be lived with / dealt with in due course. (I am excluding the absence of a main hatch here!).

The keel is for me the biggest unknown, I have no personal experiance of these types, albeit I seem to recall reading that some designs are easier to live with / renovate than others........

Obviously if you were intending to be heading off around Cape Horn your modifications and equipment levels would be slightly different - but I am assuming this will be used as a weekender. If once you buy her and get stuck in you then realise it is too much work for you, then you may lose your $250.........but I suspect not, even if you could not sell her on you could well E-bay some of the equipment.......and then chainsaw the hull into a skip

Do you have a list of the equipment on board? or even stuff that you know to be missing / not working? Maybe folk could help in pointing out anything else you will need to factor in.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 06:15   #28

Boat: Westerly 33, Dunkers of Tintern
David has a good point. For $250 you can't go wrong if you have a cheap place to store her. If it turns out to be a can of worms then you could sell the mast and boom and get you money from those alone (assuming that they are in reasonable condition).

If you use her for weekending then it would be like camping under fibreglass instead of canvas. A vacuum cleaner/brush and lick of anti condension paint will make a big difference to the inside. The exterior could be given a clean and a lick of paint and voila - you are afloat and sailing. You can pick up second hand sails, in fact by asking around you will probably be given someone's old ones for nothing. Don't invest heavily in her but keep building up the kitty for the boat you really want to buy and in the meanwhile you can get some time on the water for virtually nothing!
Old 14-02-2007, 06:22   #29

Dunkers has said it perfectly. Go for it.
Old 14-02-2007, 10:15   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

Have just had another look at the pictures..........you appear to have a fridge! For me that is called posh If it doesn't work, just use it as a cool box .........if it doesn't work as a coolbox stick it in a skip and you have instant extra storage........the same approach to everything else.

In any event that Main hatch looks easy / cheap enough to sort out.

The forehatch and the binnacle compass both look worthwhile sticking on E-Bay (if push comes to shove). I am sure you have a few more goodies that someone somewhere would love to have..........

If you need cheap "wall coverings" for the hull / cabin sides particularly for the forecabin..........in the past I found carpet tiles work very well in covering up a few sins as well as tidying things up no end. The advantage over using a whole piece of material is that they are easier to fit. You mess up one - just use another. Carpet tape is all you need to hold them in place. And the good news is that the really cheap and nasty ones made of 100% plastix (Nylon ??) work / last best.

Wherever possible AVOID anything sold with the word "Marine" attached to it...as it will be a lot more expensive. The same quality can often be sourced elsewhere, in any event many things do not have to be "Marine", for fitting out an interior / soft furnishings etc you may well find that a Caravan / Motorhome shop / website sells acceptable stuff for far less.

That headlining however looks a real cosmetic disaster. Not economic to get a proffessional in, doable by DIY but a real PITA to do yourself. Before you decide to rip it down and put it the skip, try and use it to make a pattern for a replacement - hopefully the headling material will be glued / fixed to panels, which I suggest you keep if at all possible. Plenty has been written about replacing headlinings, you don't have to repalce exactly like the original. In fact no need to replace them at all (or at least not immediately) apart from mainly cosmetic reasons. (I only mention this now cos it is easy to end up going "skip crazy" and afterwards think to yerself "I wish I had kept that" )

Oh, I "did" a small boat once! - hence my enthusiasm . Actually she came back on the market twice last year. Once for Free and then flipped for &#163;1k after someone had walked away for a couple of years - unfortunately after taking the forehatch home..........I was really gutted that I missed her by a week, I would have been quite happy to have had her back and started all over again...............mainly cos on a small plastic boat their can be relatively little that needs doing - even if quite a few things that would be "Nice" to do............

If you take this project on (even if you walk away after a month and then E-bay her bits) you will have learnt a lot which will stand you in good stead later - and WILL later save you far more than $250 from first hand experiance. If you keep her this will also be true, plus you will learn far far more from refurbishment and then from ownership than from any books (or websites )..........and of course it is fun to own a boat!

Whilst I am not going to say that the circumstances of the sale are "good", possibly the owner will be happy that someone with enthusiasm will be taking her on, especially if the boat has good memories - and depending on his knowledge / experiance he may be someone who would be willing to help / advise on things / or just talk through stuff as the refurbishment progress - in any event if you can keep on good terms with him you may well be surprised how often useful things later "get discovered" in the back of the Garage...........

Not meant as a criticism and whilst pricing things up IS essential, I get the feeling that you may have the same tendency as yours truly, to kinda anaylse some things carefully - and sometimes this translates into a bit too much thinking and not quite enough "doing"..............of course it is always easier to spend someone else's money!

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: