Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 13:20   #31
udo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Looks good Udo. You shoud pay attention to the chainplates (looks like some seeping there in your photos).
A straightforward fix, but one that needs immedaite attention.
Thanks,

Picture 9 correct?

I actually got to know someone at the local club who is having a wooden Koster as well (not laurin, but koster) so that might help help hopefully a lot.

What would you do with the issue of picture 9? Get a flexible transparent coating like coulan to stop anything coming in?

Thanks for any feedback,

Udo
udo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 13:33   #32
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Yes, picture 9. I wouldn't use Coelan there. Unbolt the chainplates and remove them, see if they're corroded (stainless doesn't like a wet- oxygen deprived environment) if they're okay, clean the up and rebed them (bedding compound or butyl tape). If the wood is soft around the plates you can address that then.

You can fix the discoloration when you revarnish later.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 13:41   #33
udo

Quote:
Yes, picture 9. I wouldn't use Coelan there. Unbolt the chainplates and remove them, see if they're corroded (stainless doesn't like a wet- oxygen deprived environment) if they're okay, clean the up and rebed them (bedding compound or butyl tape). If the wood is soft around the plates you can address that then.

You can fix the discoloration when you revarnish later.
Thanks S&S
I knocked on the wood on all these kind of places, and could not discover any softwood. but the present owner does not use Coelan, but Epifanes and Hempel, so indeed have to check.

Sailing season is probably in 1.5 month over. temporarily cover it with a tiny bit of Coulan of immediately unbolt the chain plates and check?

Udo
Old 04-08-2010, 13:46   #34
udo

btw: the boat probably never got scraped back to the wood, which in a sense is actually better as I understand, because many woodies in Sweden seem to be scrape sick, but I am temped to at least scrape back to the wood the benches (top sides) in the cockpit and the side walls at the entrance (on the outside). (Got the best possible orbital sanders you could possibly get, so I might sand it down without scraping in order to achieve a minimal loss of the wood.

But the hull seems to be good enough, to just leave it and continue with the regular maintenance. The cockpit is where you sit the most and see the most, so maybe nice to get it perfect.

Good idea? or am I just too fussy?

Udo
Old 04-08-2010, 13:48   #35
S&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by udo View Post
Thanks S&S
I knocked on the wood on all these kind of places, and could not discover any softwood. but the present owner does not use Coelan, but Epifanes and Hempel, so indeed have to check.

Sailing season is probably in 1.5 month over. temporarily cover it with a tiny bit of Coulan of immediately unbolt the chain plates and check?

Udo
seeing how you'll have to get it off later, I wouldn't put something like that on now (for a month and a half). Put a little varnish around the plate and that'll hold you until the end of the season.

Best would be to fix it now. If the plates are corroded, it could be problematic.
Old 04-08-2010, 14:30   #36

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Dear Udo,

Did you sail the boat and did you have someone along with wooden boat experience?
I would think from looking at the boat from the photos and your comments that it would be a very good choice. The design looks as if it would be easily driven even in light winds and in generally good condition. My only concern would be to sail it and have it checked by someone experienced who could assess cost of any needed repairs IE chainplate and anything else. Which can be deducted from your offer.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 14:49   #37

Boat: Bristol 34
There are so few of those beautiful classic wood boats left and simply owning one would be reward in itself. However, knowing what you are in for can only be learned from someone who has maintained a 50+ year old wood boat, and hopefully there are a few folks on this forum to steer you in the right direction.

No expert advice here, but 30-40 hours a year on maintenance sounds too much like a sales pitch and I would think 30-40 hours a month would be closer to reality. I have spent that much time on a two inch teak toerail this summer and it's still not finished!!
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 15:22   #38
udo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglooff View Post
Dear Udo,

Did you sail the boat and did you have someone along with wooden boat experience?
I would think from looking at the boat from the photos and your comments that it would be a very good choice. The design looks as if it would be easily driven even in light winds and in generally good condition. My only concern would be to sail it and have it checked by someone experienced who could assess cost of any needed repairs IE chainplate and anything else. Which can be deducted from your offer.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, maybe I am not business man enough! I explain: The present owner did such a professional job with placing a complete new marine plywood epoxy coated deck (all over the boat renewed!), new floors in the cockpit, and making the deck support for the mast much stronger than the original design, taking in consideration that he said: the boat still needs some work, is not 100% finished + a price, which is so embarrassing low that i did not have the courage to talk the price a lot down. yes a little bit, not a lot. These boats are on the Dutch market for 2.5 times the price I paid now. I spoke with one of the directors of the local boat club who is having himself a Koster boat (double ended nose) and he told me that the simple reason of these low prices is that nobody on Sweden seems to be interested anymore in buying them or at least hardly anyone.

I just thought he did such a splendid job, I think he deserved the price and not lower.

Yep, not business man enough I guess,

Udo
Old 04-08-2010, 15:27   #39
udo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
There are so few of those beautiful classic wood boats left and simply owning one would be reward in itself. However, knowing what you are in for can only be learned from someone who has maintained a 50+ year old wood boat, and hopefully there are a few folks on this forum to steer you in the right direction.

No expert advice here, but 30-40 hours a year on maintenance sounds too much like a sales pitch and I would think 30-40 hours a month would be closer to reality. I have spent that much time on a two inch teak toerail this summer and it's still not finished!!
I guess, really depends on what i am going to do.
If I just do the regular maintenance and give the boat a few coats a year, listening to many wooden boat owners in Sweden, 40 hours should be enough. the 40 hours is not a sales pitch because it did not came from the seller. But, in case I decide to make the boat more beautiful, by sanding the cockpit down all to the wood, yes, of course we start to look at many more hours and probably i will spend many more hours in the first few years.

Udo
Old 05-08-2010, 11:08   #40

Dear Udo,

Your last post doesn't quite state that you are now the new owner...If so then allow me to be the first to congratulate you... of (what is her name). However it atleast seems that your choice is made and you are just awaiting the paperwork and formalities to be completed. I am sure she shall provide you and your family with many great experiences.

If I am anywhere near I hope that you will invite me onboard. I shall bring the smorbrod and akavit.

regards

Alan
Old 05-08-2010, 13:22   #41
udo

Quote:
Dear Udo,

Your last post doesn't quite state that you are now the new owner...If so then allow me to be the first to congratulate you... of (what is her name). However it atleast seems that your choice is made and you are just awaiting the paperwork and formalities to be completed. I am sure she shall provide you and your family with many great experiences.

If I am anywhere near I hope that you will invite me onboard. I shall bring the smorbrod and akavit.

regards

Alan

Yes Alan, your guess it spot on! Legally not the owner yet, but have paid a 10% deposit! Wanted to sail it over, but time is pressing, soon have to go back to work. Fortunately the seller managed to find a transporting company to move it from the west to the east coast of Sweden. On the way back from one of their own transports, so was able to get a reduced price of € 1000 (SEK 10000) + VAT (moms) and that means I am able to take the boat trailer as well inlcuded in the price. 550 kilometers is the yourney. I am going to pick it up also myself and wil be present when the boat will be lifted on to the truck and the trucking company is giving me a lift on the truck back to their new home port. Love to be present during transport! even if it takes 10 hours or more. And the name is: Caballero.

and thanks for your commends,

All the best,

Udo
Old 05-08-2010, 13:23   #42
udo

Quote:
Dear Udo,

regards
Alan
Of course! Always welcome!

Udo
Old 05-08-2010, 13:32   #43
S&S

Congratulations! Please keep us posted on your adventures- I'm glad the boat got a good owner
Old 05-08-2010, 13:43   #44
udo

Quote:
Congratulations! Please keep us posted on your adventures- I'm glad the boat got a good owner

Thanks, will post some images of the transport (hopefully) next week,

Udo
Old 06-08-2010, 10:54   #45

Dear Udo,

Well then formal congratulations and best wishes for the future...You now have a lovely looking boat and she does look very well in the photos. The only "possible fly in the ointment" is that "her" name is Spanish for "gentleman" but a bi-sexual boat isn't such a stretch is these times...strong, honest and protective on one side...sexy, flamboyant and caring on the other.... a perfect balance

I hope she provides much pleasure.

The downside of your successful purchase is that we now lose the "eye candy" parade of classic northern European wooden boat which you have been providing. So keep us updated on your new "gentleman friend"

Regards

Alan