Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-05-2013, 19:10   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Re: Need advice - what to do with my old boat?

What other details do you have about the boat? I live here in St Thomas, work in the industry and know a few people. I have to agree that you aren't going to get much money if any out of the boat here. But you might be able to find a decent home for her. If you are contemplating a sail to FL the rig and sails must be in decent shape, or were when you laid it up? I assume it's at Independent Boat Yard? When was the last time anyone inspected the boat? Four years is a long time to be closed up with water leaking in in this environment. Mold and rot of interior surfaces are going to be an issue as well.
Jay

Old 23-05-2013, 21:26   #32

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Do someone else and yourself a favor...give her away. In regards to the Mrs. After the boat is gone...continue saving $500 @ month for the next real blue water boat...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 00:05   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Need Advice - What to do With my Old Boat?

You say the wife "…has no idea of the sentimental value, the bond, the not entirely eliminated (though dusty) idea of long term trips…".

So the idea of returning to any kind of cruising only really exists in your mind.

The Hunter is a physical connection to the past, and somehow you're hoping that you can return to the past, in spite of the new realities that circumscribe your current life. You're keeping the boat, and the hopes that only you have, on life support, and it's costing you $6k/yr to go nowhere each year. That life is gone. It's time to pull the plug and let go.

Be a sensible man. You're domesticated now. It was your choice, and a family is a good thing.

Would your wife be enthusiastic about the idea of spending $6k/yr on activities that bond your family together and create lasting memories? I don't know her, but it may be that in her mind, that's what that damned boat is robbing from her.

You're going to have to build this from the ground up: swimming lessons for the kids, then bring up the idea of sailing lessons for the kids; eventually maybe a trailerable dinghy, or whatever you think she will agree to, and get everyone enthused. It must be enjoyable for them, or you will go nowhere, because they're going to have to say "Yes" to each new idea, experience it, like it, and then see the possibilities in the next step.

You may get lucky: your wife and kids may take to it like ducks to water, and some day you may catch them looking at World Cruising Routes around the kitchen table when you come home from work; however, it's more likely that the best you can hope for is to get them out on the water a few days a year. And even that will be good, because you'll be living in the present you have, instead of the past that you don't have.

Fair Winds,
Jeff
Old 25-05-2013, 07:29   #34

Boat: 16ft Hartley Flareline
Send a message via MSN to djaustralia

Who's idea was it to get married? Who's idea was it to move to chicago and leave you boat behind? As for the kids, they could be your one saving grace. I would suggest a sea change. Take your family back to st thomas, find a cheaper place to store the boat and fix it up with the leasure of time and your family by your side. Sounds to me like there's two major loves in your life, the boat and the wife/family so combine the two. Have you and the wife discussed moving back to the boat and making good the repairs. If I were you I wouldn't want to abandon my boat or my dreams. If the wife is giving you an ultimatum, that isn't fair for her to do so. She should be offering help and guidance, not making demands. If your wife isn't willing to help with the serious decision making process then YOU need to figure out whats more important and what's best for YOU. I bet if your wife's car broke down on her way to work and you refused to help, she would arrive back home with a tow truck and divorce papers. They say "happy wife = happy life'...but what about your happiness? I know I sound selfish, maybe abrupt verging on rude but I've been forced (by others including loved one's) to make impossible decisions most of my life, but I'm the one responsible for me and the position I'm in today. " I " think you should Start with a brief trip back to st thomas to thoroughly assess the boats condition. Then take photos. Then work out/ estimate repair costs either while your there or back at Home, I would suggest at home with the wife's input. If you decide against repairs, use your photo's to aid in selling it. Tough choice my friend. Your kids won't benefit from a divorce but they may benefit helping dad fix his boat! Best of luck with YOUR decision.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47   #35

Boat: Hunter 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
What other details do you have about the boat? I live here in St Thomas, work in the industry and know a few people. I have to agree that you aren't going to get much money if any out of the boat here. But you might be able to find a decent home for her. If you are contemplating a sail to FL the rig and sails must be in decent shape, or were when you laid it up? I assume it's at Independent Boat Yard? When was the last time anyone inspected the boat? Four years is a long time to be closed up with water leaking in in this environment. Mold and rot of interior surfaces are going to be an issue as well.
Jay
Hi Captain Jay,

Yup, "Angels Quest" is at Independent Boat Yard. Know any decent/honest surveyors that would be willing to make a list for me?

Cheers,

j
Old 07-07-2013, 11:04   #36

Boat: Hunter 37

So here is my update, for anyone still following the thread.

I visited two weeks ago and found her in decent shape, actually, which was a bit of a surprise. I visually inspected the rigging and sails which were good other than what appears to be a mouse-chewed hole in the main There was little to no mold or mildew in the cabin, and even the cushions which I was sure would be disintegrating could probably survive with a good washing. No rust on the chrome, and the inlaid wood on deck needs some varnish, but other than that no damage. In short, my poor boat has held up well to neglect.

After seeing her I have had second and third thoughts of sinking or abandoning her. I just can't do it. Other than the missing engine she has only cosmetic issues to solve. Looking into "legally" sinking her for a dive site turns out to be quite a bureaucratic nightmare. I talked to quite a few people about giving her away, and basically I would have to get in line, if you can believe it. There are apparently *scores* of boats free for the taking there if the takers are willing to pay the yard fees. I can only imagine that the yard is full of boats that aren't paying their dues. Sign of the economy and the times I suppose.

I also discovered that I am so far back in the yard while they stack them in for hurricane season that even if I *wanted* to pull her out and sail to Florida, that won't happen before November anyway. So I have a few months to make a plan.

I'm now considering the fixup and keep plan, which involves minimal cosmetic repairs and a new engine. I don't think I mentioned it, but I originally took the diesel engine out (which is nothing better than a mooring anchor after four years under a tarp in the yard) to do an electric conversion. I had done a ton of research back then into the gear required... then I had a baby

So I have started looking into it again. Prices for this conversion have not only come way down, but it seems there are many more options now, and lots of folks that have done it and posted their experiences. It may very well be less expensive than replacing the diesel, though I will suffer on range. It is a sailboat after all

So front runner plan (which I am still haggling with the wife over, but she isn't dead against it) is to return over Christmas break and spend two weeks installing the electric pod motor I have selected and new batteries, plus a general cosmetic repair (varnish, chrome polish, some minor carpentry in the cabin, and a new cockpit dashboard) and thorough deep cleaning. The windows I have discovered eventually stop leaking if you don't open them Possibly new cushions. The result should be a boat I can launch in the spring.

Back for Spring Break I will launch and sail her non-stop to Florida to the cheaper yard.

Back to that yard next summer for a full paint job - bottom, hull, and deck, then a possible cruise around the Bahamas with the family.

THEN I will talk about selling her. In the shape I hope to get her in, and being somewhat uniquely electric, I think I can get most of this investment back (though clearly not anywhere near what I have over the years sunk into the boat). But again this isn't about the financial impact really at all. Lets face it - none of us invest in our boats for profit

The other option at that point will be to slowly get her to Chicago, to be the family training boat for the "big trip" which is not just my dream - it is something we have both talked about since we met.

I'll keep updating this thread as I purchase the materials and plans firm up. Very curious what responses I will get to this, as it does seem that 90% of you think I should abandon the boat

Cheers,

j
Old 07-07-2013, 11:23   #37

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Well, I say good on you. If it doesn't lead to domestic friction then it's noble to save her and perhaps generate a couple more memories. I like people who treat things well - it says a lot about their character.

Good luck!

Onno
Old 07-07-2013, 18:14   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you are able to anticipate the bits most likely to have failed from disuse, and bring them with you as spares when you go back to the boat, you might be able to pull it off. It's going to require a huge lot of pre-planning, and perhaps a plan "B" or two. Everything that in normal use has contact with fluids is likely to fail after 3 years dry. That's one starting point.

If you're only going to sail it back to FL., wait on replacing the cushions. Maybe that's something your good lady would like to be involved in.

Any chance of re-installing the original engine? or was it running when you removed it? Shame to waste it. If you can get your boat into the water, then sail it back, you could hire a tow to wherever you wind up going. Not the safest, though. What does your wife say? Is she just asking you to show her a plan that seems as if it has a good chance of working?

Ann
Old 07-07-2013, 18:43   #39

Boat: Watkins 29'
Well I guess you are bonded to this boat and not ready to give her up, understandable... If you are going to refit I think the smart money would be to go diesel, the electric power systems still suffer from mediocre performance and limited range issues, resale would be easier with a fresh diesel in a cruising sailboat, I wish you luck on whatever you decide.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: