Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2017, 08:04   #1

Need advice on fair pricing for a new production boat

I need help. Iím working with a dealer to price up a new Beneteau Oceanis. Iíd like to better understand what the typical margins in these things are so I can know if Iím getting a fair deal.

The MSRP of the boat is around $280k. About 1/2 of that is the long list of options selected. The dealer offered $10,000 off that price in the first pass. I was so stunned that I just shut down and went home.

Of course, I want a win-win situation. I expect him to make money. But I donít want to get a royal screwing either.

If youíve gone thru this process recently on a NEW boat, what can you tell me? Thanks.

Old 22-11-2017, 11:24   #2

Re: Need advice on fair pricing for a new production boat

How about comparing a very recent (1-3 years old or so) similarly equipped production boat, account for some % depreciation and get a feeling for how far off you would be compared to the price you are getting? Just an idea given the lack of replies you are getting and are likely to get to on this forum...

Old 22-11-2017, 11:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

It depends on quite a few factors. Some are geography, dealer (whether high volume with large commissioning staff or shoestring operation), whether options are factory or dealer supplied, time of the year, and whether boat is in dealer's inventory or needs to be ordered. One large factor is how good a negotiator you are. Another is whether B is offering any specials.
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 11:54   #4

I went through this about two years ago on a new Hanse.

Most of the savings I was able to generate from the purchase was from being very judicious around which options Iíd purchase from the factory and which i would be better off doing myself, or a third party, post purchase.

Some items are best done by the factory. Many are simple plug and play options and I found the factory pricing really outrageous on several items. Be careful here.

There was a big factory discount available, concurrent with the fall boat shows that was quite a good value.

As I recall I was able to negotiate another 5% or so on top of everything. Less than I expected.

Iíd check a few other dealers, and take your time. Time is your friend.
Old 22-11-2017, 13:37   #5

Is it really? Boats ordered today deliver mid-July.
Old 22-11-2017, 18:36   #6

Six months sounds about right for a new production boat.

Iíd still take some time and get some additional prices. Itís possible the dealer, or the factory, may want to book an order more urgently later in December to fill out their annual order book.

From what I was able to gather, US production boat dealers have somewhere north of 15% margin in new boats, and some of that has to cover their warranty work. Not sure if Beneteau works the same way. So I donít think youíre going to see a huge discount off MSRP unless the factory has an incentive underway, or, maybe thereís a favorable currency play going on if your boat is made overseas in a weaker currency market, or, they are trying to add some units before year end, or trying to maintain a second or third shift on a particular production line.

Curious if thereís any further insight on dealer
margins.

As to factory margins, I know the Beneteau Group overall has a target margin of 8-8.5% for 2018. Google it. Iíd imagine their Oceanis line has healthier margins due to production volumes.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 22-11-2017, 19:20   #7

Boat: Shopping for my next one...

depreciation doesn't matter in terms of negotiation... what matters is current demand, cost basis, and supply. If you can get 5% you are doing well IMHO, more often than negotiate add ons (dealer fit).

Right now inventory is tight due to hurricanes/insurance payouts I hear.
Old 23-11-2017, 11:46   #8

Boat: Comet 41s

For Bavaria, if you are buying in Europe the best deal will be probably with Yates Allemanes in Palma de Maiorca. If you are going to sail the boat on the Med it can be just a nice deal.

On this time of the year I would say that if you buy there you can get a 9% discount. I don't know how many boats they are selling now but they used to be the biggest Bavaria dealer selling something like 200 boats a year. Nice guys too, a family business.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: