Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 21:05   #1

Need advice on Elan boats

Hello all, new to the forum. Need advice with Elan boats, particularly interested in the Impression series.
The plan:: 3 year sabbatical. Purchase a 40-45 footer live aboard in the Med, spend a year in Turkish coast/ Greek islands get repairs and upgrades done. Sail west for the second year and catch up with ARC fleet. Cross the Atlantic and spend the rest of the time in Caribbean until money runs out. Sell her in Caribbean or in Florida and go back to work.
The crew: : Wifey and I - no kids, no pets, no friends - looking forward to make some during the adventure.
The boat: After long consideration and research we have decided to buy a production boat. So lets just leave it there. Until recently I was convinced Beneteau 423 was the boat for our needs. There is ample amount of resources available for 423 which was tremendous help with the decisions. Than we came across Elan Impression series. I really like what I see so far however for a series that has been in production for almost a decade and a half there is barely any info available hence looking to connect with those who can enlighten us or point us the right direction. Particularly interested Impression 444 or her predecessor 434.
Looking forward for your comments.
zilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:37   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Need advice on Elan boats

I would say that the Elan is better built than the Oceanis, meaning that it uses technologies that are used in more expensive boats and better resin but in what regards used boats the condition of the boat is probably the more important factor.

I once meet a impression owner (for several years) and he only had nice things to say about the boat.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:56   #3

Thank you Polux for your input. Point taken in regards to condition.
I understand Elan hulls are built using technologically advanced methods than hand laid laminate. Elan website claims the "3D VAIL" vacuuming result in lighter and stronger and stiffer hull but not sure if that is reality or marketing fluff.
Primary focus in my research is construction quality and built. I know they are designed by a well respected naval architect, they are relatively fast, folks cross oceans with them, well kept examples hold their value, have relatively good AVS and STIX which is all good stuff but how about construction details. Hull deck joints, bulkheads (I noted in some other elan models Elan claims they are truly structural but not sure if it is the case in Impression) , rudder post, keel joints -are they really overbuilt as Elan claims?
Old 05-10-2018, 17:02   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilli View Post
Thank you Polux for your input. Point taken in regards to condition.
I understand Elan hulls are built using technologically advanced methods than hand laid laminate. Elan website claims the "3D VAIL" vacuuming result in lighter and stronger and stiffer hull but not sure if that is reality or marketing fluff.
Primary focus in my research is construction quality and built. I know they are designed by a well respected naval architect, they are relatively fast, folks cross oceans with them, well kept examples hold their value, have relatively good AVS and STIX which is all good stuff but how about construction details. Hull deck joints, bulkheads (I noted in some other elan models Elan claims they are truly structural but not sure if it is the case in Impression) , rudder post, keel joints -are they really overbuilt as Elan claims?
No, not overbuilt but I would say better than Oceanis. More expensive boats use almost all infusion technics (3d vail is that) and cored hulls, on this case only above waterline, a system used for instance by Oyster.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 17:32   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

I cannot comment on Elan build quality as I never built one. But I sailed some. Overall, they were performing truly well - light on the helm, balanced - more of a sailor's boat than many other modern plastick fantastick boats. The ones I sailed, I liked sailing them.

I would definitely NOT think they are overbuilt in any way. Btw overbuilding does not warranty long life or strength. It only makes the boat heavier, which in turn makes it weaker. Look for overengineering rather than overbuilding. If anything. When things are well designed and well built, they do not need to be overbuilt.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:08   #6

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

I was almost going to purchase the Elan 45 impression just about a week ago! BRAND NEW from the Southampton boat show.
Of all the production boats I walk on, it just felt really well put together. Cabinets aligned, material better than average, and I love the Vacume hull Constructuon.
Plus, the sales guy was the most helpful of all the manufactures.
But, I ended up buying what i came for...a Beneteau Sense 50.
Is there a way to do a private message on this site???
Hit me up, I’ll share more about my research with you.

In all though, I give the Elan double thumbs up!
Cheers
Hunterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:12   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

We have friends with 43.4. Excellent boat. Having cross the Atlantic on Ben42.3 I woul take the Elan instead without thinking much.
Old 06-10-2018, 17:06   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

I took the Elan 43 from the Caribbean to Cape Town via Brazil and Tristan da Cunha last year. Apart from the backstay parting, she behaved pretty well....

Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 17:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdog View Post
I was almost going to purchase the Elan 45 impression just about a week ago! BRAND NEW from the Southampton boat show.
Of all the production boats I walk on, it just felt really well put together. Cabinets aligned, material better than average, and I love the Vacume hull Constructuon.
Plus, the sales guy was the most helpful of all the manufactures.
But, I ended up buying what i came for...a Beneteau Sense 50.
Is there a way to do a private message on this site???
Hit me up, I’ll share more about my research with you.

In all though, I give the Elan double thumbs up!
Cheers
Thanks Hunterdog- would love to pick up your brain. The forum wont let me send you a private msg bcz I am new but please reach out to me kaslaner@hotmail.com
Old 06-10-2018, 17:37   #10

Thank you all for your input. This is great. Please keep it coming.
Hunterdog- love to pick up your brain re your research. I tried to PM you but the forum wont allow me bcz I am new. Anyone aware of datasets, booklet or user manual of these boats-are they posted anywhere? All I was able to find is a company brochure.
Old 07-10-2018, 00:50   #11

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

Email me at duane.heil@gmail.com
Hunterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:05   #12

Boat: Salona 44

have you given any thought to a Salona 45? I have sailed one from to Australia, done several really tough Sydney Hobart races in one and I believe that it is one of the better mannered and strongest boats that I have sailed (My first Sydney-Hobart race in 1983)
No Fixed Addres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:21   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need advice on Elan boats

Have delivered an Impression 45 from Greece to Turkey to reset the clock then down to Malta for the new Aussie owner..
Comfortable, sailed well, easy to single/shorthand sail..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 16:22   #14

Thanks boatman61. Speaking of Aussie owners. It would be interesting to see the global sales data. Not many made their way to US, especially to west cost where we are. Interesting enough looking at yatchworld and other sites biggest inventory following Europe seems to be in AUS and NZ which is long ways from Slovenia and I wonder how they become so popular there but not here.
Old 11-10-2018, 17:23   #15

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

With only three years ownership. it seems ease of sale at the end would be a huge part of the equation. Will the rarity of an Elan in the US market help or hurt vs a Benny? I don't know, but I'd ask a broker in the US what they thought would sell quickest.

Matt

Tags
434, 444, beneteau 423, boat, Elan, impression