Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2011, 09:23   #1
STG

Boat: Coronado 35
Need Advice About Tight Steering Problem

I am pretty new to sailing larger boats with wheel steering and need some help. The steering wheel seems very tight and I am not sure how to lube or loosen. I have only had this boat for a few months and so do not know the history or if it is supposed to be like this, but as I wish to install auto pilot at some time, I am not so sure that it can handle this load. It is a real work out after a few hours out there when the wind and waves move me off course and I try to correct. (Even worse for my teenage daughter.) Wheel acts almost like it is already locked and the wind and won’t turn the rudder on their won without my turning the wheel. (Can’t feel the rudder).
Description: It has a pedestal similar to Epson (might even be) with about a 36” wheel (guessing by memory). The locking knob is loosened to rule that out. When I removed the compass on top, I can see a gear with chain going down the pedestal. From underneath (center cockpit) in the engine compartment it has at some point switched to about a 1” red rubber hose looking thing which I assume is some sort of cable. It is not the standard double cable and pulleys as this cable goes straight to the arm of the rudder where the rudder comes up through the hull and has a metal rod coming out of the hose end. It looks like just a very large heavy cable similar to an oversized throttle cable or something.
So is this considered “cable” steering like the bare wire and pulley type? Where would I start looking for the sticking problem? Should I be lubing something? (I don’t see any grease fitting or anything). Should I disconnect from rudder and then see how easy it turns? Any advice (based on actual experience) would be a huge help.
Thanks (in advance)
Steve
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 09:30   #2

Re: Need Advice About Tight Steering Problem

Most likely the cable assembly needs to be removed, cleaned, inspected and lubricated as specified by the manufacturer. It's a good job for a professional or experienced owner.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 09:35   #3
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

If anyone knows what kind of steering system this is (based on the description) I would like to find the manufacture and get more information. It is something I will work on myself (to become an experienced owner).
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 10:08   #4

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

you will most likely find that the grease in the bearing supports each side of the chain and sprocket has gone hard in the bearing housing i had the same prob 5 weeks ago just gave it some wd40 and disconected the cable from quadrant and gave it a few flicks away she went
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 11:01   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

First step is to disconnect the rudder and see where the friction is--rudder bearings or pedestal.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 14:17   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

As above, disconnect cables at rudder, check rudder swing, follow cables and check pulleys for rotation, check cable and chain in pedestal.

AND LAST, CHECK STEERING BRAKE on the side of the pedestal, THEY CAN TIGHTEN UP BY VIBRATION...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 14:26   #7

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

It could be an Edson Pull-Pull conduit steering setup.

Check the top center link here and see if the parts look familiar. I think there are some manuals on the site also.

Check the accessories link for grease and oilers for the cable if the setup is Edson.

Steering Hardware : Edson Marine Store

edit,... Looks like the pull-pull doesn't use a rod to arm attachment. So that's probably not it.

The Edson CDi geared steering does use an rod straight to the rudder arm. But it uses a ring and pinion gear in the top of the pedestal.

Check out these pdfs by boat type for Edson. I clicked on Coronado and Columbia 35 and neither show a setup like you describe.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/s...ts/index.php#C

So maybe it's not Edson after all. But who are the other manufacturers of wheel steering for sailboats?

I'm drawing a blank so far with Google.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 14:33   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Before ripping stuff to pieces....

Had my wheel slowly tighten up over a period of months.

Took a couple of splashes into the water wiv mah lil mask and flippery bits and small scraper to really work on the top of the rudder and around the post where it goes into the hull.

Slowly began to ease the wheel and now it works like a bought one

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering