Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 09:58   #46

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Re: Need a Sailboat for a Work of Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Please let us know when it's published.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:08   #47

Boat: Bock, 14'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Good luck to you. One possibility for setting up your character's sail from SYC, depending on time of year, could be participating in the annual "Race to the Coast" hosted by SYC. It is the oldest point to point sailboat race in US. The course includes the narrow, winding Rigolets and the various bridges that span it and ends in Gulfport, MS. Here is a brief article about it:
Racing in New Orleans: Rite of the Rigolets | Sailing World

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yeah, I came across that in my research. Actually, that race fits in nicely for some of the characters' backstories. I was especially interested in what sailing opportunities might have been available (through the Southern Yacht Club or anywhere in the vicinity of New Orleans) for a teenage girl in the mid 1950s, especially races. I contacted the SYC and received this response:
"Indeed, the 1950s saw a boom in participation by female sailors both in the junior ranks and in all-female competitions both locally and around the nation. A 14-year-old girl could have participated in many 'skipperette' regattas and junior events.

For example, the annual all-female championship for our regional Gulf Sailing Association (which spans the Gulf Coast from Houston to St. Pete) is called the Knost Regatta and was started in 1954. At that time, the regatta would have been sailed in gaff-rigged Fish Class sloops."
It appears that the South has been very progressive regarding women's sailing given the more exclusive men-only attitudes in the North during that time. I found this article very interesting: Sailing Beauties of the Gulf | Deep South Magazine – Southern Food, Travel & Lit

At any rate, one of my characters would have sailed in the "Race to the Coast." Thanks for bringing that up!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:22   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Please let us know when it's published.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I sure will, but it's going to be a while. Im only 40k words into the first draft, and I haven't even boarded the sailboat yet! At least now I have one!

I should also say that this is the third book in a series, the first two being Portrait of a Girl Running and the second, Portrait of a Protege. I should also mention that the main character, Leila, is seventeen at the outset of the story, however, it deals with mature themes. Although some have tagged it Young Adult, it would be more accurate to say its simply General Fiction with a wide appeal. Oddly enough, grown men tend to like Protege, whereas it rouses very mixed emotions, especially with my younger readership. One of my best reviews on Amazon was a 3-star from one such reader!

For anyone who's curious, the descriptions of the books are on my blog (in my signature).
Old 06-11-2015, 13:19   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sounds like a coming of age story in the modern genre.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:12   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sounds like a coming of age story in the modern genre.
You nailed it!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:36   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Thinking more on the draft in the Harbor at West End, there is a J/130 that moors there which has a draft of around 8.5'. While it goes in and out fairly often, I've seen it run aground at least once right in front of the club. Keep in mind that running aground is almost a relative term in the soft muddy bottom of the lake...unless you hit a refrigerator.
HA HA!

From what they say... There is no such thing as the mafia... Or bodies in refrigerators for that matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBChicoine View Post
Ha! Good to know! Hopefully there weren't too many sunken refrigerators in 1984!
Please see above...

Bravo on the research... Sounds like a wonderful read JB... Can't wait...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:25   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
HA HA!
From what they say... There is no such thing as the mafia... Or bodies in refrigerators for that matter...
Bravo on the research... Sounds like a wonderful read JB... Can't wait...
Thanks! This is just the tip of the research--hopefully it will make a good read...
...and when NOLA_sailing mentioned hitting refrigerators in Lake Pontchartrain, I thought he meant post-Katrina debris! Ha! Maybe he did, but the mafia and bodies in refrigerators is better story making!
Old 07-11-2015, 16:16   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks! This is just the tip of the research--hopefully it will make a good read...
...and when NOLA_sailing mentioned hitting refrigerators in Lake Pontchartrain, I thought he meant post-Katrina debris! Ha! Maybe he did, but the mafia and bodies in refrigerators is better story making!
I don't think they have it copyrighted.... but the phrase. ..

"True enough I was there. ... but I had nuttin' ta do wit' it.... "

Has been uttered more in an an Italian accent than any other. ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 07-11-2015, 17:13   #54

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

2) The captain is a 25-year-old Creole woman who grew up living on a sailboat. She also has a US Coastguard certification.

3) She runs the family-owned bareboat cruise business, catering to high-end customers, so I’m thinking something in the 60-70 ft range, but I want as small a crew as possible (easier for me and my readers to keep track of).
If it's a bareboat then the charterers don't need a skipper. Drop the bareboat term.

A 60-70' boat is unlikely to be allowed to bareback unless the charterer has a long history of handling large boats. A classic wooden boat needing lots of maintenance is also a relative non-starter for bare-boat.

My recollection is the Feds were pretty down on folks visiting Cuba unless they were very roundabout. Visiting by you boat except in extremis would involve forfeiture of the boat's USCG documentation. The Cubans weren't very receptive either, most US visitors were assumed to be spies. If still want to include Cuba work all that into it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 18:02   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Depth won't be an issue. The NO marina was deeper 25 years ago than it is now. Long story, but basically in the 80's a drainage canal was plugged which has lead to 30 years of silting inside the marina.

Do you know the mast height of the boat? I am not sure what year it was built, but the I-10 bridge has a control height of 66 feet. If you are close you can heel the boat over with water bags to reduce air draft.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 23:09   #56

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
If you are close you can heel the boat over with water bags to reduce air draft.
...a situation fraught with peril, if a line is chafed......

No charge, Chicoine.

A
Old 08-11-2015, 06:50   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

No charge, Chicoine.

A
I'm going to be hugely disappointed if this isn't played out...

(Ann... Maybe we can beg to be 1st draft editors... )

Old 08-11-2015, 10:34   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
If it's a bareboat then the charterers don't need a skipper. Drop the bareboat term.

A 60-70' boat is unlikely to be allowed to bareback unless the charterer has a long history of handling large boats. A classic wooden boat needing lots of maintenance is also a relative non-starter for bare-boat.

My recollection is the Feds were pretty down on folks visiting Cuba unless they were very roundabout. Visiting by you boat except in extremis would involve forfeiture of the boat's USCG documentation. The Cubans weren't very receptive either, most US visitors were assumed to be spies. If still want to include Cuba work all that into it.
Thanks, I will bear all that in mind about Cuba. Fortunately, I have come in contact with a skipper who was sailing to and around Cuba in 1984, and she will be very helpful! As for the charter issue--yeah, I had to rethink not only the size of the boat, but the chartering part. Apparently, what will work for the story is a skippered charter of sorts, and on a 47ft Bermuda yawl which has been in the family for years. The are accustomed to its upkeep. Thanks for chiming in on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Depth won't be an issue. The NO marina was deeper 25 years ago than it is now. Long story, but basically in the 80's a drainage canal was plugged which has lead to 30 years of silting inside the marina.

Do you know the mast height of the boat? I am not sure what year it was built, but the I-10 bridge has a control height of 66 feet. If you are close you can heel the boat over with water bags to reduce air draft.
I don't know the height--didn't state it in the specs, but for the sake of fiction (and the fact that this skipper is very familiar with New Orleans, Pontchartrain, and the Rigolets, we will assume the boat won't have trouble clearing the bridge.

Quote:

No charge, Chicoine.

A
Although I'm certainly not opposed to situations fraught with peril, I'm going to wait until they are underway in the Gulf before introducing the perils. Chafing lines before they even get out of New Orleans waters might spook my main character and tempt her to abandon ship, and that would not do!

Quote:
I'm going to be hugely disappointed if this isn't played out...

(Ann... Maybe we can beg to be 1st draft editors... )
Sorry to disappoint...and be careful what you suggest to Ann about editing first drafts! Actually, no writer in her right mind would send out a first draft to anyone--first drafts all pretty much suck. But at some point, during revisions and before final edits, I will surely need some experienced sailors to check those particular scenes for errors and credibility...
Old 09-11-2015, 05:39   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint...and be careful what you suggest to Ann about editing first drafts! Actually, no writer in her right mind would send out a first draft to anyone--first drafts all pretty much suck. But at some point, during revisions and before final edits, I will surely need some experienced sailors to check those particular scenes for errors and credibility...
You're stuck with us now!

The thread subscription list can be a pretty handy thing...

So... Do you think you'll be done by Friday????

Old 09-11-2015, 10:17   #60

Quote:
You're stuck with us now!

The thread subscription list can be a pretty handy thing...

So... Do you think you'll be done by Friday????

Ha! As helpful as these threads and all of the contributing posters are, Friday might me a tad unrealistic...but I do appreciate your vote of confidence (or is that just unbridled enthusiasm?)!

Tags
sail, sailboat