Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 14:29   #31

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Re: Need a Sailboat for a Work of Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big View Post
No, sorry...I'm not familiar about the New Orleans area. The boat draws about six and a half feet, if that helps any.

Then again, you did say the novel was a work of fiction right? Just make it up!
Assuming the depths are similar today as they were in 1984, anything more than a six foot draft might be problematic in the New Canal (alongside Southern Yacht Club) and entrance to the Municipal Yacht Harbor. But I'm sure for literary purposes, an inch or two of variance in appropriate draft. One way around it is that if we have sustained periods of easterly/northeasterly breeze, the lake can rise a foot or more along the southshore.

As far as navigating out to the gulf, once outside the point (breakwater) north of SYC and the harbor, there are two options (for deep draft vessles) one is the rigolets which is northeast of SYC and I'd say draft would be limited to 10' from SYC to Rigolets. Once in the Rigolets depths increase exponentially all the way out to the GCWW and the Mississippi Sound.

The other option is to head east along the southshore to the Inner-harbor Canal (locally referred to as the Industrial Canal) on the eastern side of the Lakefront Airport. The canal connects to both the Mississippi River and the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet (MR-GO) via the GCWW. The MR-GO has been closed since Katrina but was still a functioning waterway until 2005. The MR-GO is the most direct path to the gulf but the river route may serve for better story telling. You can also bypass the MR-GO on the GCWW and continue on to the mouth of the rigolets just west of the state line and into Mississippi Sound.

Hope this helps!
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 14:31   #32

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

If it is fiction then nothing on the boat will ever break

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 03-11-2015, 14:36   #33

Thinking more on the draft in the Harbor at West End, there is a J/130 that moors there which has a draft of around 8.5'. While it goes in and out fairly often, I've seen it run aground at least once right in front of the club. Keep in mind that running aground is almost a relative term in the soft muddy bottom of the lake...unless you hit a refrigerator.
Old 03-11-2015, 14:49   #34

Boat: Bock, 14'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Assuming the depths are similar today as they were in 1984, anything more than a six foot draft might be problematic in the New Canal (alongside Southern Yacht Club) and entrance to the Municipal Yacht Harbor. But I'm sure for literary purposes, an inch or two of variance in appropriate draft. One way around it is that if we have sustained periods of easterly/northeasterly breeze, the lake can rise a foot or more along the southshore.

As far as navigating out to the gulf, once outside the point (breakwater) north of SYC and the harbor, there are two options (for deep draft vessles) one is the rigolets which is northeast of SYC and I'd say draft would be limited to 10' from SYC to Rigolets. Once in the Rigolets depths increase exponentially all the way out to the GCWW and the Mississippi Sound.

The other option is to head east along the southshore to the Inner-harbor Canal (locally referred to as the Industrial Canal) on the eastern side of the Lakefront Airport. The canal connects to both the Mississippi River and the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet (MR-GO) via the GCWW. The MR-GO has been closed since Katrina but was still a functioning waterway until 2005. The MR-GO is the most direct path to the gulf but the river route may serve for better story telling. You can also bypass the MR-GO on the GCWW and continue on to the mouth of the rigolets just west of the state line and into Mississippi Sound.

Hope this helps!
Yes, it does help, thanks! I'm leaning heavily toward the Rigolets--it just sounds like a better option, and, in 1984, it also has the appeal of the rickety old lighthouse that at Hwy 90.

Also, it's good to know about the winds affecting water depths at the south shore of the lake--thanks.
Old 03-11-2015, 14:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
If it is fiction then nothing on the boat will ever break

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
I'm thinking it's that kind of tension and conflict that makes for great fiction!
Old 03-11-2015, 14:53   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Thinking more on the draft in the Harbor at West End, there is a J/130 that moors there which has a draft of around 8.5'. While it goes in and out fairly often, I've seen it run aground at least once right in front of the club. Keep in mind that running aground is almost a relative term in the soft muddy bottom of the lake...unless you hit a refrigerator.
Ha! Good to know! Hopefully there weren't too many sunken refrigerators in 1984!
Old 03-11-2015, 17:46   #37

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Here is a lady you may know.

http://www.sanjuansailcharter.com/about-us/

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:36   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Here is a lady you may know.

About San Juan Sail Charter: Bachelor Party Cruise | Business Cruise

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Oh my but the Spike Africa is a lovely boat! A lot more boat than I need, but what a great setting she's make for a story!
Old 04-11-2015, 14:58   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

If you want to have reference to the places we talk about, just get on Active Captain and look at the charts...
The Spike Africa is a great boat, but they are down maintaining it just about every day in Friday Harbor....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 16:37   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
If you want to have reference to the places we talk about, just get on Active Captain and look at the charts...
The Spike Africa is a great boat, but they are down maintaining it just about every day in Friday Harbor....
Thanks for the suggestion--all those charts will really come in handy once I 'set sail!'
Old 05-11-2015, 06:19   #41

The final decisions is: the Philip Rhodes 47' Bermuda Yawl, Infanta. She will be carrying 3, but not more than 4, passengers. It will make for close quarters, which is good for storytelling. And she has the added bonus as a racer, which will fit in nicely with her fictional history. And she has a strong love-at-first-sight appeal, which is important in developing her as a character. I'm still undecided upon a name. I'm sure something will come to me.

As a side note, I contacted the current owners and they informed me that they have removed the head from the forward cabin and use it primarily for storage. Makes sense.

Many thanks to everyone for your generous advice and willingness to help me out! I'm sure as the writing and journey progresses, I'll be posting more "Need ___ for a Work of Fiction" Threads!
Old 05-11-2015, 06:25   #42

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

JB, I hope your book is a great success. And with the proceeds you can buy "Infanta" and spend time on her writing your next book.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:52   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
JB, I hope your book is a great success. And with the proceeds you can buy "Infanta" and spend time on her writing your next book.

S/V B'Shert
Thanks! Of course it will need to be so successful that I can also hire a captain! In reality, I'll be happy if I get a few positive reviews.
Old 05-11-2015, 19:35   #44

Good luck to you. One possibility for setting up your character's sail from SYC, depending on time of year, could be participating in the annual "Race to the Coast" hosted by SYC. It is the oldest point to point sailboat race in US. The course includes the narrow, winding Rigolets and the various bridges that span it and ends in Gulfport, MS. Here is a brief article about it:
http://www.sailingworld.com/racing/r...-rite-rigolets

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-11-2015, 05:44   #45

Please let us know when it's published.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat