Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 07:58   #76

Re: Need a boat for circumnavigation

OK EVERYONE. This is the last post that you will see from LasVegasBob. I get it. I will pull back as I was prior to my first post and just watch all of the other threads and do my best to learn as I go. I will be taking much of the advice that has been posted and do my best to once again join in posting on this site.
Thanks to everyone who posted positive comments.

Bob Chase - LasVegas
Old 03-02-2015, 09:30   #77
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Good on ya, Bob.

To the others re Ex:
If someone said am I am army officer I would say I am an ex-army officer, however my Commission as an officer is still current and remains so until retirement age... But I have not served for 30 years. (If a war happens I will run away. Iv'e learned stuff )

If Bob is 85 he may not have served for 60 years, or 50 or 40. He probably would feel a bit dopey to tell people 'I'm a Marine' at 85. Ex-marine probably sits more comfortably, and as an ex marine he can do what he likes

But insulting somone by questioning it is pretty low and Bob deserves an apology.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 03-02-2015, 11:22   #78

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Bob, you are not too far from me (on the coast). I'll take you out to get some practice if you are in the neighborhood!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 03-02-2015, 14:59   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
....But how about we hear from him first before people who have not served in uniform chime in and make accusations?
Looks like it will not happen. It's a shame. I would have apologized to him. Everyone I know would have stepped up to the plate instead of backing down.

In the U.S. there is a thing called stolen valor. Some of us take this very serious, and some just don't care. I have seen/heard people claim to be a marine/ranger/seal/purple heart/blue angel/etc. who were not.

Just saying it wrong is a very large clue as to if they were not what they claim to be.
Maybe lasvegasbob really is a marine....and typed it wrong. maybe I mis-read what he typed. We might never know as he has backed down.

No marine I know would have backed down from this, and I know quite a few marines.....the oldest is around LVBs age. Funny thing is, the older they are the more incensed they are when/if someone questions them about it and they readily prove they are, as they are proud of what they did and rightfully so.
Another funny thing about all of this is, two of my uncles are marines... Korea and Vietnam. Same age as LVB...One word of advice? Don't ever call them an EX-marine.....They'd want to fight over that, and Uncle Bill can still whip some *ss. Uncle Dutron would definately try....and try again....He would keep on trying......until you moved to a different city.
Apparently some people will never understand how serious some people take this.

The thing is, it is so easy to prove if one is a marine/ranger/seal/blue angel/etc.
BTW...Markj........were you an officer in the U.S. Army? what rate/rank? What base(s) were you at? what years? Do you feel offended that I asked you this? If so why?
Maybe I just wanted to know if we knew each other or if you knew my younger brother.
Old 03-02-2015, 15:24   #80
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
BTW...Markj........were you an officer in the U.S. Army? what rate/rank? What base(s) were you at? what years? Do you feel offended that I asked you this? If so why?

Nah, I'm Australian

Boing, boing, boing. <------ Another damn kangaroo

Lt 1977 to 85 Reserves, not Regular, now 'Reserve of Officers List'. Inf platoon commander and MG Platoon Commander.

Re offense, no. But it is kinda personal. Different cultures, I guess.

Old 03-02-2015, 15:48   #81

Yeah, no one I know, or aware of went to the land down under.....

How the heck do you people keep from falling off the earth? Do you have special magnetic feet? How do you keep the blood from rushing to your head? I know, I know, you have heard this before... quite a few times, I suppose....but really, how do you? Just kidding. I know personally of only around 6 or 7 who have crossed the equator. They won't tell me how the kept from falling either....LOL. Although they did tell me they had to sleep on their side....
Old 03-02-2015, 15:59   #82
Long Range Cruiser

Thats the reason I am in the Caribbean

Old 03-02-2015, 16:15   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Thanks for all the comments. Thread closed, as not much can be added now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-02-2015, 16:16   #84

I am a friend of David Clark, who either holds or held the Slocum Society record for oldest single handed circumnavigator. He also has some sponsors, but paid for lots himself. Your goal is admirable, but you may be asking too much to get all free. Good luck if you pull it off.
Closed Thread

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation