Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2015, 07:36   #16

Boat: Tanzer 27
Re: Need a boat for circumnavigation

Hoorah

Have fun with that but make sure you watch "Deep Water" first -

Documentary on Netflix that does a terrific job of outlining the perils of a solo crossing that you wouldn't normally consider.

Cheers & Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-01-2015, 11:44   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Your post has piqued my interest. How did you select your boat size range? I think we all need more info on you before we can give helpful advice. How much experience do you have already? It's ok if you have none, that just helps direct you to the info and people who can help you.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 23-01-2015, 12:19   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Nothing wrong with folks of any age pursuing a dream, but you don't mention your sailing experience or what expertise you have that lends itself to achieving your goal? If you don't have the money, I suppose that sponsorship is something you'll have to attempt to line up eventually, but at this point I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to spend their money on you pursuing your dream? If you're an experienced sailor and just neglected to mention that, then maybe you are headed in an appropriate direction with this. But if you aren't, then your first priority, WAY more valuable than anything a sponsor can offer you, is to gain the knowledge and experience that will give you a reasonable chance of being successful. Once you have gained that, THEN will be the time to begin serious planning and preparation for your circumnavigation. Good luck achieving your dream, but first things first. Even Chesty Puller didn't go directly from high school kid to American hero without learning, training, and paying a whole lot of dues along the way.
What's this? A sensible reply? I have to agree, for so far your qualifications that would lead a putative sponsor to give you money are solely enthusiasm, age and military history.

Your saying that you will establish a world record is about like a 12 year old little leaguer saying that he will play center field for the Yankees one day soon. If you have the knowledge and experience to back up your enthusiasm, show it to us and establish your bona fides. Then you might get some realistic advice re the details.

I am an elder sailor myself, with decades of experience, and know what an undertaking it would be for me to do a single handed non stop RTW. To attempt to do so without similar experience would be foolhardy IMO.

I admire your spirit but doubt your viability in this effort.

Jim
Old 23-01-2015, 12:31   #19

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

At age 80, I'm still trying to circumnavigate Catalina Island in our Formosa 30 ketch without tearing up a sail or two.
Old 26-01-2015, 04:55   #20

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasBob View Post
This is probably the most far out beginning thread even on this site,
I am planning to circumnavigate the globe in early 2017 when I will be 85 at the time. I am planning on establishing a Guinness book record for the oldest man to circumnavigate ALONE in a sailboat. I need all the help possible in obtaining Sponsors for EVERYTHING including the boat (27'-34') fully equipped for the task. This would include Boat, and ALL POSSIBLE equipment required to perform this monumental task. All help and advice is appreciated.
I am physically fit, an ex US Marine in excellent physical condition.

I do not need any comments about hair brained schemes, I get all of those from my son.
You want to sail around the world in two years and have not started yet? I doubt you could get everything together by then even if you had the money now. You do not say what your experience level is.
Old 26-01-2015, 06:47   #21

Boat: Island Packet 35

Assuming this is a serious undertaking or goal, if sponsorship is going to be "critical" to this adventure, I recommend and would think obtaining someone to do this on your behalf is a must. You will pretty well have to market yourself to companies, general public, tv/radio, ect.. and as previously said, you need a well documented sail plan to pass yourself off as serious and/or capable.
This will be interesting to watch develop
Old 26-01-2015, 09:49   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Sponsorship is critical... And may be an insurmountable problem on one basis along: sponsors don't want their adventurers dying during the voyage for other than cataclysmic (preferably filmed ) reasons.

At 85 years old he has a 14.6% chance of dying in any year without putting foot on boat. (Assuming from a Western Nation, a Paupa New Guinean probably has 50% mortality rate at tha age).

Sponsors do like their adventurers to come close to death, vis a vie Jessica Watson and her collision with the Chinese cargo ship when she didnt think the AIS was a useful tool. And a sponsor would have had a tempory increased website hit rate on her death. I can imagine cartoons showing the evil Chinese Captain running over the hapless girl, breasts heaving.... Damn, I mentioned it! Las Vegas Bob ain't got no breasts, heaving or otherwise!

A sponsor thinks book deals after the voyage and Ghost Writer comes to mind because at 86 the mortality rate is even higher, who is gunna do the publicity circuit and signings?

I am sorry if the advertising industry is shallow... But thats way it is.

One of the following are sponsorable. Guess which.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 26-01-2015, 09:57   #23

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Since LasVegasBob has not responded here I am guessing he has changed his mind.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-01-2015, 10:07   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I also have to ask about your sailing qualifications.

I do agree that, at least in theory, nothing is impossible but I would say the odds of someone with little to no sailing experience getting sponsorship would be very small.
Old 26-01-2015, 13:39   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

At least I have a goal in 2042...
Old 27-01-2015, 23:19   #26

To All who have posted replies, I will be answering you all within the next 24 hours.
Old 28-01-2015, 08:13   #27

Hello all and thank you all for your input. I will address all of the many questions that have been posted and will simply ignore all of the wise-ass remarks.
Newt, I will be there to cheer you on.
Skipmack, I have absolutely NO qualifications at this time but will be well versed within the next two years.
Don C L, No mind change and will respond.
Mark J, Was originally going to ignore but decided to respond. If there is a 14.6 chance of dying (Please quote source of info), that naturally means that there is an 85.4 chance of NOT dying. Also wise ass, you are right I do not have breasts heaving or otherwise. As for the writing I am an accomplished author with many published works and I will be doing my own touring as well as signing. I have connections in the media and have set into motion the wheels that will get me to the talk circuit. As for the shallow depths of the advertising industry, they only sink to the lowest common denominator which in this case is YOU.
Nicholson 31, I am working on the sailing plan and all details that will be involved in the successful completion of the task. Thanks for a sensible post.
Deluxe68, As stated previously experience is nil. Anyone in the many past years that said I couldn’t do something has always been proven wrong.
Bill Seal, You sound like an “old” 80.
Jim Cate, Again I appreciate your insight but see the reply to deluxe68.
Don C L, Boat size was chosen for two reasons first because of lack of experience I felt that this size range would be best handled on an extended journey solo. And as stated no experience.
Sea turkey, Thanks for the tip this has become my number one “Must See”
Jtsailjt, See many of the previous comments and by the way, I served with Chesty Puller.
Time2Go, Good one, Red Bull just hit the top of my list.
Atoll – Ignored
Ozskipper, Thanks
Old 28-01-2015, 12:59   #28

Boat: Tayana 47

Lots of overconfident people have gone to sea without giving Neptune due respect, and it rarely ends well for them.

It seems odd to me that someone such as yourself, with a military retirement and such success in everything you've ever done, including being an "accomplished author," doesn't just write a check for a suitable boat and then take it wherever you like. Why waste valuable time with the sponsorship/publicity slant? Surely someone such as yourself doesn't need the attention or to get his ego stroked by hustling publicity in pursuit of an obscure record that almost nobody cares much about? My advice is to just do whatever you want and if it turns out to be notable in some way, write a book about it afterwards if you want to cash in or feel the need for public acclaim, or just enjoy the feeling of accomplishment privately, by yourself. For now, I'd suggest that you google "Stanley Paris" for some reading that might help you gain much needed perspective.
Old 28-01-2015, 13:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasBob View Post
This is probably the most far out beginning thread even on this site,
I am planning to circumnavigate the globe in early 2017 when I will be 85 at the time. I am planning on establishing a Guinness book record for the oldest man to circumnavigate ALONE in a sailboat. I need all the help possible in obtaining Sponsors for EVERYTHING including the boat (27'-34') fully equipped for the task. This would include Boat, and ALL POSSIBLE equipment required to perform this monumental task. All help and advice is appreciated.
I am physically fit, an ex US Marine in excellent physical condition.

I do not need any comments about hair brained schemes, I get all of those from my son.
This is hands down the best boat for you.
Falmouth Cutter 22 Honu For Sale | Art Of Hookie
Old 28-01-2015, 13:37   #30

Boat: Niagara 35

Are you planning a non-stop via the capes or through the canal on the coconut milk run? This will make a very big difference to choice of boat, chance of sponsorship, and chance of survival.

Is there a Guinness World Record for this category?
Closed Thread

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation