Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 13:45   #1

Nauticat 44 how well does it sail?

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are looking at a nauticat 44 motorsailer. I like the idea of an all in one package but am curious how she handles as a pure sailboat. with this puppy, how often and under what conditions do you think we'd be able to kill the engine and truly sail? Thank you have a nice day
Brandond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 14:26   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Nauticat 44 how well does it sail?

Hi, if you do a search here there is already a thread somewhere. The 44s have different underbodies depending on.The year. The S&S designed hulls apparently sail quite well where the full keel versions not as well. Thats just from my memory from reading the thread mentioned.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 15:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Nauticat 44 how well does it sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandond View Post
Hey everyone,

My wife and I are looking at a nauticat 44 motorsailer. I like the idea of an all in one package but am curious how she handles as a pure sailboat. with this puppy, how often and under what conditions do you think we'd be able to kill the engine and truly sail? Thank you have a nice day
Howdy Brandon! Welcome Aboard CF!

The Nauticat 44 is one of my favorite designs for a motorsailor. I have looked at every one I could online, read about them, and viewed videos and such. They appeal to me for several reasons, one of which is the raised pilothouse (saloon) and the space for "liveaboard" comfort and the quality and thoughtful design.
They are not a typical "fin keeled" sailboat, but they do sail. That said, there are other Nauticat designs about the same size that may have better sailing performance, but then every boat is a compromise.

I encourage you to view some of the videos on YouTube. I don't have a link handy, but you will see one video that shows a 44 sailing well and from many angles. The owners of that boat also have a blog, where they wrote about their travels from Scandavia (Sweden?) to the UK and coastal cruising the UK.

More recently, a CF member had their 44 moved from Mexico up the Pacific Coast, but I expect that was mostly motoring, which most would do on that route.

For more reading and research on the Nauticats within CF, here is a list of the past threads of discussions about them:
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...044&gsc.page=1

There is a vast amount of information here and many helpful members who have extensive experience.

My Favorite CF Forum Tip: Use the Google Custom Search Function

I know that most people who are new to this forum might try the ordinary search function of the forum when they have a question in mind. Unfortunately that always yielded few results for me when I tried that when I first joined this forum. In contrast, a standard Google search outside of the forum can produce a bewildering list of links too. It was only later that I learned to quickly and easily find great links to archived or previous threads on a topic.

I only use the Google Custom Search field on this forum when searching this forum, and I find all the answers I need here too using that.

I find it superior to an ordinary search using the standard "search" field and usually get the answers I want very quickly. So, it is my "number one tip" to newer forum members. .

Note! The Google Custom Search field is found under the "Search" menu seen at the top of your browser window when you are in the CF forum on any page. However, it is NOT shown as an option if you are viewing the Forum site using the CF Mobile app. Use a browser like Safari instead.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail