Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 13:34   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Good list on blue water items Andy.

(There is a guy in Ft. lauderdale with a Freya 39 also named Andy..Small world, or only guys named Andy buys them Freya39s...?)
Old 02-05-2007, 16:25   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
Good list on blue water items Andy.

(There is a guy in Ft. lauderdale with a Freya 39 also named Andy..Small world, or only guys named Andy buys them Freya39s...?)
Yo Rhapsody,

thank you. Keep them cards and letters comin'.

As you are aware, I simply ran out of time, and needn't pursue all of the items, but attempted to show that even your above-average racer/cruiser is far from a bluewater boat, and often $10's of thousands away from being so.

About the other andy/Freya--remarkable, as there weren't that many built (mine's #40, 1983). The original Freya reputedly won the Sydney-Hobart race three years in a row. I am confident it is a true bluewater boat.

The CSY has been all over, proving itself as a capable boat. Good choice.

Every boat buyer must do his own due dilligence. He/she must gain enough experience and knowledge to be able to recognize one when the right boat comes along. By the time one has accumulated this great body of knowledge, he will also be ready himself for bluewater passages.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 23:30   #18

Boat: o'day 22
wow thanks so so much u guys rock
bigwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:49   #19
Eternal Member

Zack,

Those $5 boats are some of the best. You find them at yard sales...typically, they come in a bottle. They're the only type boat which is truly maintenance-free :-)

One of the most affordable Water boats">blue water boats around is the venerable Tayana 37. This very popular Perry design has been around a long time, and has made many blue water passages and circumnavigations. In comfort and safety. They can be had for, say, $60-80K, depending on condition.

The Pearson 10M mentioned above is a great little boat. Once chartered one for 2 months and sailed her from St. Thomas thru all the Leewards to The Saints and back. Very nice boat, but I wouldn't put her in the "blue water" category. Yes, you can sail her from X to Y. People have crossed the Atlantic in little more than a plastic bathtub. But she's not a real bluewater boat, nor are any of the Pearsons I know about.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 16:08   #20

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors
Zack,

Those $5 boats are some of the best. You find them at yard sales...typically, they come in a bottle. They're the only type boat which is truly maintenance-free :-)

Bill
It would need a new head, hoses and holding tank if I bought it. Seems to be my curse
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 16:21   #21
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
The CSY has been all over, proving itself as a capable boat. Good choice.
Well, I did not really nominate the CSYs in general or my 33 in particular for a "blue water boat". Mainly due to the large cockpits.
The CSYs were built as charter boats with huge cockpits to "entertain". (Which I do plenty off)

Should one of these big cockpits get swamped with water, uh it would take a while to drain, and the boat would be dragged way down on her lines...way down.

Plenty of CSYs have been around the world, the right way and the wrong way, and no problems reported, but I seem to remember that a "blue water boat" needs a small cockpit to qualify....?
Old 04-05-2007, 16:23   #22

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach
I'd like some more information about these five dollar boats!
I got my Columbia 22 at an auction for $1 (no, it wasn't sunk - I was the only one that showed up :-)
Squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 17:48   #23

"AFFORDABLE" bluewater boats

Yo sailors,

dusting those bottles is such a nuisance.

The Tayana 37 is one of Robert Perry's greatest designs, and was fairly well made for a Taiwan boat of its' genre. Not without flaws, it has a lovely teak interior and beautiful lines.

Stan Huntingford's Rafiki 37 is another attractive boat, perhaps finished almost as nicely as the Tayana. These represent just one boat type which should be a good platform for a bluewater boat.

With the purchase of a 15-20 year-old boat comes the pressing need for a major refit.

A proper one can cost as much as the boat--or more.

Large cockpits present a special challenge. Except for those cockpits which are open at the transom, large cockpits must have super-size scuppers and drains. Sometimes it is practical to remove some of the flooded volume with icebox/coolers or the addition of a bridgedeck/watertight storage locker, or liferaft, etc.

best, andy
Old 04-05-2007, 18:08   #24

You want an affortable blue water boat, here's one in Seatle for sale $36K, ready to go.
This is Charles Gilmer's design Blue Moon, built by Bent Jespersen, one of the west coast premier builders.

Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 18:15   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Efraim,
Do you have any site information on this boat. It is a beauty and doesn't look too big. Which is good. External chainplates are good to be able to check from time to time. I'll bet its wood?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 18:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efraim
You want an affortable blue water boat, here's one in Seatle for sale $36K, ready to go.
This is Charles Gilmer's design Blue Moon, built by Bent Jespersen, one of the west coast premier builders.
Yo Efraim,

indeed this is a lovely small yacht, and you're right about Jesperson, a great builder. The wood construction and gaff rig will throw a lot of potential buyers off but I like it. And tiller steering--ideal. A great boat for the right lucky person.

best, andy
Old 05-05-2007, 03:49   #27

SkiprJohn,
More info and photos here: Yacht Brokerage, broker, cruising, sailboats, powerboats, for sale,
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 11:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Yeah, I'm with Gord on that one. There isn't an offshore capable boat that's affordable... unless you have a ton of money.

What's your definition of affordable? $5? $100? $10,000? $50,000? $500,000?
I most strongly disagree. There are lots of affordable blue water boats. They're just old, and most cases small. That's small by todays standard, where the PS34 is labled as a budget cruiser. Give me a break. There are about a dozen Westsail 32 for sale as I type, from 19K to 69K. Cape dory 25D, one of which I own, can be had for less than 20K (NOT MINE).

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 11:55   #29
cruiser

Good points, Randy.

I suppose when I said that, I was looking at boats that are suitable for a couple to live on and cruise, not boats a single guy can just hop on and sail off. In that case, there are quite a few.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 12:17   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"They're just old, and most cases small. " Not ignoring the fact that many small boats have circled the globe, you have to give some weight to the arguments of the larger race committees, who set minimum size limits on the entries. IIRC the Bermuda races all have 32? 36? foot minimum entry limits, and that's not just because the smaller boats are slower. If you read the stats in the back of "Fastnet, Force 10" you'll see that boats under 33' OAL took a heavier beating, with greater losses, than the 34-38' group, which still took more damage than the larger boats.

I suspect part of this is that the older, more experienced entrants with more money to spend on safety may also have been in larger boats--but the bottom line is that a 25' wave is bigger than some boats, smaller than others. And when you're dealing with "small craft" (however you define that, generally under 28 or 30 feet?) even common wave heights adversely impact them, much more so than they do 32' or 36' boats.

Nothing against a well-founded small craft--I'd just say the extra ten feet give you a much wider comfort/safety zone.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote