Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 09:14   #1

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Mystery Plug Identification and Shower Drains?

My apologies for the poor quality photos. I forgot the digital camera, so I was limited to the cell phone, which is not so hot in low light.

However, my first question is, can anyone tell me what these red plugs are? My best guess was some kind of speedometer (please fill me in on the correct name for this) because it has a spinner on the end, but the one with the cable attached isn't plugged into anything. Also, there's two through-hull fixtures here. If the red plug is the speedometer, what would the other one be?

Second question, in the head and rear sink area, there's nowhere for water to drain. It just pools up in that fiberglass floor between the bulkheads, which makes it very slippery. I picked up a grip mat to cure the slipperiness, but that does nothing to solve the standing water issue. Is there a way to install a drain in that area, so that I might even be able to put a shower head off the sink?

Thanks for any help.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:47   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The red thing lying on the bottom with the wire is the impeller for the knot meter. The other red one in the through hull is a plug. The plug is put in when hauling or when you're sitting a long time and want to keep growth from the impeller. The other black one is the transducer for you depth meter.

Can't answer the second question without more info.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:48   #3

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
The red one sitting in the bilge is a knotmeter impeller. It should be connected to your knotmeter. The one in place is a plug that keeps your boat from sinking while you are cleaning the inevitable weeds off the impeller. The other is probably a depth sounder transducer.

Dick PLuta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11   #4

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Thanks so much guys.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 14:09   #5

Don't put a drain in- rather epoxy/glass some cleats to the frames just below the level of the cabin sole and get a nice grating made of teak or the likes. Slap a cheap little bilge-pump in between the frames with a pipe threaded below the cabinetry and t-ed into the basin outlet and a stopcock so the basin doesn't drain into the bilge-pump and you'll be away. The Rule 360gph will likely take care of business for you, and if you put a little waterproof hooter-button on the basin vanity to push whenever the water gets over your toes you'll be perfectly set! Good luck!
Splash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug, shower