Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2017, 18:39   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Mystery 12 foot boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatsam View Post
In school we (Well I was) are though that the early Indian allies of New France were the Hurons, the Algonquin and the Montagnais. Myself like most Quebecois (pronounced [kebekwa]) have some native blood. Didn't give me super powers though.

I though you were either a snipper or an intelligence man.

Daniel
final word in US foreign policy. ( in the 80's. My job was to keep it out of the papers)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:59   #32

Boat: Sirius21, Siren17, Crossbow, O'day Sprite

I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it and have some background on this sailboat model and why it is so rare/unknown.

From the pictures I've seen on this thread, it is an Arrow. Sawyer Sailboats in Calgary made these and Crossbow sailboats (15 foot) in the mid 70's. I have owned a Crossbow since 1998 and am looking at an Arrow that I came across here in Ontario.

The boat builder was a partnership between Murvin Sawyer and the Canadian government (Indian Affairs). Here is a link to an article in MacLeans magazine about the company: Aground on an Ottawa reef | Maclean's | NOVEMBER 6, 1978

It seems that only a few boats were built at the time. My Crossbow does have a hull number. It is on a metal strip on the transom, riveted on. I did see a few of both models in Calgary when I lived there. Not surprising, given that that's where they were built. I do know of two Arrows in Ontario, and suspect there are more.

My Crossbow had the same furling system as the photos on this thread and mine failed as well. The furler was incorporated into the forestay and frayed the bottom of the stay resulting in a demasting. Luckily, my event occurred on the trailer while I was rigging. I replaced the forestay and put a drum furler behind the forestay. I still had to use the plastic tubing as the jib is a sleeve rather than being hanked on.

In regards to the sails, mine came from Genco Sails out of Toronto. I don't think they make sails anymore, but probably still have the patterns. The last time I dealt with them was in 2000 purchasing sails for a Siren 17 and an O'day Sprite that I also owned. Nick Genco was the contact at the time.

My crossbow is a very fast boat and I suspect that the Arrow is as well. It is a riot to sail.

Just thought I'd add this info, in case anybody is still searching for info.

btw, I'm living aboard a Sirius 21 in Owen Sound.

Ken
Palliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 13:00   #33

Boat: Arrow 12

Sam -

Do you still have your Arrow 12?

I have one as well, which I have had since @ 1985. Am resurrecting now with a fresh coat of paint and some minor repairs.

Unfortunately, I have lost the jib. Did you have any luck with new sails, and did you ever find any documentation?
laura3740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 15:48   #34

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura3740 View Post
Sam -

I have one as well, which I have had since @ 1985. Am resurrecting now with a fresh coat of paint and some minor repairs.

Unfortunately, I have lost the jib. Did you have any luck with new sails, and did you ever find any documentation?
If you are close to good sail loft, they can send someone out to measure and sew the sail but, at what cost?
Old 21-04-2020, 15:59   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Sam -

FX Sails Instant Online Sail Pricing
Choose custom boat and enter rig dimensions
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/arrow

Those 2 should get you close
Old 21-04-2020, 17:13   #36

Quote:
Sam -

Hello Laura.

I still have the Arrow and I still am trying hard to sail it. GRR. Always real life in the way.

I never did get documentation on it. Only what is in this tread.
As for the jib (Original) It was in tatters but I had it copied locally.

I did get to use it a few times and it worked well. I can't say if it was an improvement or a poor version.

The main sail as to be removed when not in use but to remove the jib the boat as to be demasted. So I can see that owner just left it them out (Furled) to burn in the sun.

My new jib as an edge of sunbrella though I never have left it outside when not in use.

Do you need dimensions and pictures to have it copied?
Old 21-04-2020, 18:55   #37

If you would be willing to measure the jib for me, that would be fantastic!

Two more questions:
  • What kind of saw did you use to cut the holes for the deck plates?
  • I have always struggled to remove the centerboard. Do you have the same problem? It has to be at the perfect angle to lift up, and seems to require the right touch. I have considered making a mark on the centerboard to indicate where that angle is.
Old 22-04-2020, 00:46   #38

Quote:
If you would be willing to measure the jib for me, that would be fantastic!

Two more questions:
  • What kind of saw did you use to cut the holes for the deck plates?
  • I have always struggled to remove the centerboard. Do you have the same problem? It has to be at the perfect angle to lift up, and seems to require the right touch. I have considered making a mark on the centerboard to indicate where that angle is.

That's funny.
I don't recall mentioning that I cut holes in the deck. Wonder how you knew.

Here are pictures I took at the time.

Just used a drill bit to do an initial hole then used a jigsaw with a wood blade on it.

I cut two holes up front to access the "Chain plates" as they were wiggly-loose and replace the bolts on the cluthes. Could barely reach them.

And one in back to replace the broken drain plug. The nuts fell inside when I unscrewed the bolts.

The covers (There is a pouch-pocket thing that comes with) are a mixed result. I have now stowage but the boat flex enough that if screwed in on land they cant be opened in the water and vice versa. Probably-partly because the covers are flat and are screwed to a curved surface. They are strained.

I don't recall the board being hard to pull out. I have a hard time keeping it down as it want to float out and take a funny angle. I use a bungee to hold it down hard. Which is annoying if I should hit a rock.

Daniel

PS I have a few pictures of my sails when first installed on the Arrow.
I will post them in the morning and measure the jib sometime in the PM.
Old 22-04-2020, 07:35   #39

Hello Laura.

After getting my copied jib I realised that the previous owners DIY had changed the length of the shrouds and forestay with odd bits of hardwares. The mast wasn't perpendicular to the boat and the jib didn't work well.

I am guessing that will not be a problem for you. After the initial panic I had that the sail was "Wrong" all was fixed well enough.

The sail maker added a UV resistant fabric to the leach and foot. But should have added a bit of it on the head of the jib as it left the fabric exposed to the sun when furled. Indsight and all that.

Old 22-04-2020, 09:54   #40

Hello Laura, here are the dimension of the original jib.
I of course don't really know if that is an original or a second generation version.

My cat wouldn't be denied this strange game of string.
I hope I am using the terminology correctly.

Tack showing the sheet for the furler foil.

Cat being helpful. Thanks.

Head

Head detail

Clew

Tack to clew

The foot is rounded.

Tack to Head

Sheat size

Leech

Old 19-05-2020, 08:00   #41

This is very helpful! Many thanks!
Old 01-09-2020, 07:25   #42

Hi there
I am new to this group- but I too have an Arrow- bought a few years ago in the Ottawa area for our cottage. A very speedy and fun boat. But I have lost the gooseneck (the piece that attaches the boom to the mast. Anyone have suggestions on how to replace it? Can another boat make be substituted?
Meanwhile- on the sail question- Genco sails in Toronto made these ones- which came with the boat.
Byersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:30   #43

Here are pictures of my mainsail and a closeup of the logo. Click image for larger version

Name:	0C93EF25-523A-48E3-BC84-3991B27ED442.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	222470

Click image for larger version

Name:	E295B2E5-085C-4526-9851-74AC447A8A86.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	222471
Byersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:59   #44

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Genco are still alive and kicking in Mississauga. Make a few sails but mainly dodgers and the like. Tom Taylor sails have to be more than 40 years old. The sailmaker at Taylor, the late, great Joe Fernandes, left to start his own company Triton Sails. It is now run by his son.
Old 01-09-2020, 14:55   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byersd View Post
Hi there
I am new to this group- but I too have an Arrow- bought a few years ago in the Ottawa area for our cottage. A very speedy and fun boat. But I have lost the gooseneck (the piece that attaches the boom to the mast. Anyone have suggestions on how to replace it? Can another boat make be substituted?
Meanwhile- on the sail question- Genco sails in Toronto made these ones- which came with the boat.

Hi.

By gooseneck do you mean this part?:

How did you lose it? I would have to remove rivets from the base or the top of the mast to remove it from the track.

I do not know where to get one. I imagine it is possible to have one cast or 3d printed.

If you need measurement I can remove the rivets and take photos and measurements.

Tags
boat