Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 11:54   #31

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!
Re: My search for a boat may have just happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
“... The one real problem with the Vanguard’s basic structure is the keel (it’s not a problem as long as you don’t hit anything, but groundings, for the curious cruiser, are as predictable as the tide). The lead ballast castings were set in a bed of resin inside the hollow keel, which is part of the hull mold, then glassed over so that water entering the keel cavity will not enter the cabin. Without fiberglass reinforcement, the resin bed is brittle and provides little added protection from a grounding. Voids between the ballast and keel sides were filled with various types of material over the years, including sheets of balsa, which can soak up water like sponges if the keel is holed ...”
https://www.practical-sailor.com/rev...rd-1229-1.html

The venerable Pearson Vanguard This grandÂ* old dame willÂ* always be someone

pearson vanguard at pearsonvanguard.org
Thank You for this information Gord. I hear many different views regarding internal ballast verses keel bolts. Most people say internal is better. I think high quality boats like Shannan and Caliber use internal ballast. Then PSC uses keel boats except maybe the Dana. I really do not know so really do appreciate your input. I can see your point as Keel bolts can be checked and even replaced where as if it is internal and part of the hull then what to do if problems arise like you mention? This is why I love this website as there is such a vast amount of knowledge. In fairness a little much knowledge for me can scare me off. So I have to take things in stride. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-04-2018, 12:18   #32

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Not to muddy the waters, but have you seen this:

1964 Pearson Vanguard Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Quite an awesome boat!
Yes Ham.. That is the exact boat I am talking about. I think I posted a link already for people to view. It is at a dealer in Kema TX. You see how clean it is and all the professional restorations done? That is why I am so excited. A classic plastic that is nearly fully restored.

I am about to call the broker in a few minutes. I need to clarify about the deck delamination. I mentioned this in an earlier post. I believe the source was already resolved so no further intrusion. The quote to repair is $5200 by the yard- the yard is part of the dealership. I need to inquire where and how big a deal it really is or may not be.

I have read some thread on here saying it is not really that big of deal. Again there are no shortage of opinions lol.. That thread was on a Morgan.. someone suggested a product called Injectadeck | The soft boat deck repair.. Again there are mixed opinions reading that thread. I am not very handy and do not believe I am able to do a restoration which is why I am excited about a boat that is already restored.

They are doing an in the water boat show with some 500 boats. That number may have been their embellishment not sure. So I have to be patient and get them when I can. Plus they are TWO hours ahead of me.

Another person on this thread posted the cost to transport the boat would be a deal killer and the boat would not be worth it. Guess I have to take peoples opinions in stride as it deal kill some excitement I have lol.. I was roughly quoted 6K for transport by a broker. I believe that is very low. When talking with a broker in WA state he stated I should add close to 10 - 12K for decommissioning- transport and to re commission. That was transporting a PSC 31 from the great lakes region! So I really have no idea.

I will call today and ask for that survey they were going to email me yesterday. Like I said they are busy!

Thanks for the Post Ham.. That is the boat!
Old 11-04-2018, 12:32   #33

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfish View Post
Yes Ham.. That is the exact boat I am talking about. I think I posted a link already for people to view. It is at a dealer in Kema TX. You see how clean it is and all the professional restorations done? That is why I am so excited. A classic plastic that is nearly fully restored.

I am about to call the broker in a few minutes. I need to clarify about the deck delamination. I mentioned this in an earlier post. I believe the source was already resolved so no further intrusion. The quote to repair is $5200 by the yard- the yard is part of the dealership. I need to inquire where and how big a deal it really is or may not be.

I have read some thread on here saying it is not really that big of deal. Again there are no shortage of opinions lol.. That thread was on a Morgan.. someone suggested a product called Injectadeck | The soft boat deck repair.. Again there are mixed opinions reading that thread. I am not very handy and do not believe I am able to do a restoration which is why I am excited about a boat that is already restored.

They are doing an in the water boat show with some 500 boats. That number may have been their embellishment not sure. So I have to be patient and get them when I can. Plus they are TWO hours ahead of me.

Another person on this thread posted the cost to transport the boat would be a deal killer and the boat would not be worth it. Guess I have to take peoples opinions in stride as it deal kill some excitement I have lol.. I was roughly quoted 6K for transport by a broker. I believe that is very low. When talking with a broker in WA state he stated I should add close to 10 - 12K for decommissioning- transport and to re commission. That was transporting a PSC 31 from the great lakes region! So I really have no idea.

I will call today and ask for that survey they were going to email me yesterday. Like I said they are busy!

Thanks for the Post Ham.. That is the boat!

The dealer/broker that is representing that boat has no yard associated with them. In the immediate area surrounding the boat though there are 5 yards within 15 minutes by boat from the boat. As well as numerous independent contractors.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:37   #34

Keep in mind I do not believe this boat will last for long. That thought creates a little anxiety for me. Plus realize I am still going to hire a surveyor of my own- not just take the brokers survey (I do believe him to be honest). Plus There is the cost of travel and lodging which is why I need to be sure I am not wasting my time and money! I know I previously posted I would consider transporting it to San Diego. That would be a future quest of mine. I am actually considering bringing it to WA state and getting any needed work done as well as getting to know the boat.

Thanks for taking the time to read posts and offer me constructive feedback. I really do appreciate it greatly!

Thank You Very Much! Michael!
Old 11-04-2018, 12:48   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The dealer/broker that is representing that boat has no yard associated with them. In the immediate area surrounding the boat though there are 5 yards within 15 minutes by boat from the boat. As well as numerous independent contractors.
I will take you at your word sailmonkey. I was just stating what I was told during my phone conversations. I was also talking with them about "what I was led to believe was their yard" regarding chain plate replacements in Island packets. Also about a restoration of a Cape Dory 25D.. Again I am not being confrontational or trying to argue with you. I spoke "what I was led to believe". Sometimes it can be easy to misunderstand a person. Perhaps they have a yard they associate with? Realize they are also a dealer for Catalina, Hunter, Pacific Seacraft! Most dealers have a yard they work with on a regular basis. At least that is my understanding- perhaps I am wrong! I was under the belief that when a boat manufacturer delivers a boat to a dealer it does not have the keel, rudder, amongst other things installed. Perhaps the reason for having a yard or being associated with one. again I really do not know and appreciate your input! If I misspoke it was not intentional so please accept my apology. Thank You!
Old 11-04-2018, 13:18   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Shipping cost will kill that deal. Not a cheap price on a boat that old anyway.
If I had not quoted this before. A boat of that age transporting it that far does not make much sense. It seems you have been taking for granted condition and transport costs from people wishing to make a sale. Get a plane ticket, call a boat transportation co., hire a surveyor who is working for you. Not necessarily in that order. I think it is folly. A person living there may buy it as a heck of a deal but not someone on the west coast. Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 13:33   #37

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am definitely a kindred spirit when it comes to the classics, and I too can certainly confess to being so enamored with a boat and its deal, in a far away place, that I was willing to abandon a certain amount of good sense to get it! Fortunately, my finances were/are extremely limited and as it turned out the boat I wanted was already here! I would say if you are planning to visit Texas often and are planning to cruise in the Caribbean, then it is perfectly understandable to get that boat. Now as much as I love the old Pearsons, I think there are other classics in that size range, of that vintage, and possibly in that condition and price range that would provide all the positives of the vintage along with a little better performance, so I wouldn't limit your scope to just this one boat or design or builder. As an example, my own boat was designed to compete with the Pearson Triton, and though the Triton is a very nice boat, mine has certain advantages... a little more speed and a fiberglass rudder are 2 that come to mind. So all I am saying is to be open to very good deals on very good boats closer to where you want to be, and don't be discouraged!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 13:46   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If I had not quoted this before. A boat of that age transporting it that far does not make much sense. It seems you have been taking for granted condition and transport costs from people wishing to make a sale. Get a plane ticket, call a boat transportation co., hire a surveyor who is working for you. Not necessarily in that order. I think it is folly. A person living there may buy it as a heck of a deal but not someone on the west coast. Best of luck.
Thank You Cadence,

I value your feed back. Just got off the phone with the broker. Will post about that conversation. Just wanted to reply to you. I take nothing for granted really I do not. The owner poured a lot of money into this boat against his wife's desire. He put it up for sale in October- I did not know that Cadence. There was an offer that fell through. The guy wants the boat sold as I think it keeps peace with the wife. Guys can relate. I had a surveyor in WA State I know and trust. Before I made any decisions I wanted the broker to send me a recent survey. Keep in mind for me to evaluate this boat It would cost me TWO flights and lodging plus my survey. I would be bringing a surveyor from WA State. That is very costly! I did check on the transport. The quote did not include decommissioning or a re commission. The transport was less because of the boats narrow beam and deck stepped mast- per brokers view. I have no actual quote! Your last sentence is what just broke my heart! Much Thanks..Michael
Old 11-04-2018, 14:08   #39

Some Very Sad News...

I just spoke with listing broker Josh Johnson. Before he could send me a copy of the survey "just one day" someone put in an offer. The boat is under contract and I am next on the list. What's sad is if he asked me to make a contingent offer I would have but he was saying he would send the recent survey. I will be making a 'back up offer" my words lack of expression. I actually think it is mute as the seller wants the boat gone to keep peace with his wife. I get that one.

The delamination is throughout the deck and has a 5,200 dollar quote to fix. I do hope this scares off the potential buyers who are new to sailing and are looking for a cheap boat. Who knows?

I want to address Sailmonkey. I think I did apologize if I misspoke about them owning a boat yard. You are correct as they do not. They are dealers of new boats and work with a local yard as well as a rigging contractor. I cleared this matter with both Josh and the office manager. My information came from emails, phone calls and a post about IP chain plates on this site. This was all in two days so I misunderstood the communication. That was attributed to my excitement of this boat! I do apologize sailingminkey. Hope no hard feelings. They do market yard work albeit not their yard. An honest mistake.

I may miss out on what I believe to be a great boat. That is the problem with doing business out of state! Like any good sailor we just adjust our sails when the wind changes. Life Happens!

Thanks and wish me good luck please.. Thank You Michael!
Old 11-04-2018, 14:09   #40

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfish View Post
Thank You Cadence,

I value your feed back. Just got off the phone with the broker. Will post about that conversation. Just wanted to reply to you. I take nothing for granted really I do not. The owner poured a lot of money into this boat against his wife's desire. He put it up for sale in October- I did not know that Cadence. There was an offer that fell through. The guy wants the boat sold as I think it keeps peace with the wife. Guys can relate. I had a surveyor in WA State I know and trust. Before I made any decisions I wanted the broker to send me a recent survey. Keep in mind for me to evaluate this boat It would cost me TWO flights and lodging plus my survey. I would be bringing a surveyor from WA State. That is very costly! I did check on the transport. The quote did not include decommissioning or a re commission. The transport was less because of the boats narrow beam and deck stepped mast- per brokers view. I have no actual quote! Your last sentence is what just broke my heart! Much Thanks..Michael
Take it for what it may or may not be worth.
An old fart that realizes that, that point is not in the cards.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 14:16   #41

This is the survey I was expecting the other day. In fairness the brokers who are sales people are doing a boat show.

https://mail2.spectrum.net/index.php...?folder=INBOX/
Old 11-04-2018, 15:41   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I am definitely a kindred spirit when it comes to the classics, and I too can certainly confess to being so enamored with a boat and its deal, in a far away place, that I was willing to abandon a certain amount of good sense to get it! Fortunately, my finances were/are extremely limited and as it turned out the boat I wanted was already here! I would say if you are planning to visit Texas often and are planning to cruise in the Caribbean, then it is perfectly understandable to get that boat. Now as much as I love the old Pearsons, I think there are other classics in that size range, of that vintage, and possibly in that condition and price range that would provide all the positives of the vintage along with a little better performance, so I wouldn't limit your scope to just this one boat or design or builder. As an example, my own boat was designed to compete with the Pearson Triton, and though the Triton is a very nice boat, mine has certain advantages... a little more speed and a fiberglass rudder are 2 that come to mind. So all I am saying is to be open to very good deals on very good boats closer to where you want to be, and don't be discouraged!
Thank You Sir,

Yes I planned to sail the Bahamas's which I know some say are over rated. I want this classic as it has all the restoration's I am unable to perform. Still will work with seacraft for my PSC31 but here is a nice Cape Dory. Just think it is to small. 1978 Cape Dory 28 sailboat for sale in Washington WA State boats are very clean!
Old 11-04-2018, 17:06   #43

Well, I think the CD28 has about the same waterline length as the Vanguard. Sure it will have a little less volume but it too is a very well-proven and well-regarded boat. It's a little underpowered (by sails) to my taste, but that's just me!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 11-04-2018, 18:01   #44

I was thinking that considering you are in the PNW, why not focus on what may be up for sale in California. If something pops up it is considerably easier to come down to check it out. And it is not too hard to relocate a boat (sail) from SF/Santa Cruz/Monterey to southern Cal.
This is probably more boat and more money than you are thinking of, but there is a really nice-looking Bristol 40 in my harbor (Channel Islands) listed at $29,900. Just a thought.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 11-04-2018, 18:57   #45

Boat: Tartan 40

I posted on the other thread also, but just in case:
I’d probably also not share awesome deals on CF until you have sealed the deal. You may have tipped someone off to get an offer in ahead of you. That was a sweet deal, though I agree that spending 40% of purchase price on shipping is slightly absurd.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, boat