Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 03:34   #1

Boat: No boat, looking again.
My New Boat: Australian Endeavour 27

I have purchased an Australian Endeavour 27 made in 1985. Aparently the 27 footer was a cruising version of the 26 footer which was popular for racing.

It was supposed to be 'ready to sail away' but I have spent a month on her cleaning and polishing and fixing and it is almost 'sail away' but not quite. Little things which I won't sail far with but hard to see pre-purchase, like the fuel tap from the main tank not turning off, don't take that long to fix except I was in a strange port and things just seemed to take forever. And there were plenty of little things as well as obvious ones so it kept me busy.

Consequently, I have run out of time, left the boat up the coast on its moorings and am home planning a schedule to fix more stuff when I get some time and money together. Hopefully then I can sail her down the coast to her new home.

Despite the problems cropping up, I have managed to do 14 hrs at sea with her plus lived aboard for several weeks and think she is a great boat. The main problem seems to have been several owners who neglected her and the problems were hidden. Don't know why they would do it to such a nice boat.

Below is a foray out past Magnetic Island Townsville. Did 6.5 knots coming back which I was happy with since I didn't have the sails trimmed properly. I have heaps to learn (which is why I like it so much).

troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:52   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Well, you better change your Profile! : Boat: Still looking, looking, looking .

Our first family boat when I was 12 was an Endeavour 26!

What a fantastic boat there are still.

We used our both racing and cruising. Dad and me and friends for racing but the whole family piled on for cruises.

our first cruise was an Easter long weekend we spent anchored in Store Bay on Sydney Harbour. We hadnt beought a dinghy yet and it pissed down rain the whole time - just never stopped.
Dad wouldnt let us swim into the beach so it was 5 people on 26 footer for 5 days.
I, of course, had a wonderful time doing whatever 12 year old boys do on a boat at anchor for 5 days.

Just a few years ago at a family dinner my sisters were laughing at the most horrible weekend of their lives! Could they have possibly been talking about my best weekend of my life????

Have fun with your Endeavour 27, they are fantastic boats both for learners and experts

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:42   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Hi Troppo,

Sounds great, its always good to settle into a new (to you) boat.

Thanks for mentioning Magnetic Island; it reminded me of the time I sailed into Horseshoe bay for the night (enroute to Hinchenbrook) and ended up staying 3 weeks - just because it was so nice. Thanks for the memories.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:42   #4

Boat: Traditional 30
The Endeavours have a great association I hear. You should look them up if you havent already.

Btw, Great sailing around Maggie. I have only done it once on a trip back from hammo, but its a lovely part of the country. Where are you taking it too?

Cheers
Oz

Oh Rocky. That should be a great sail.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:08   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I sailed into Horseshoe bay for the night (enroute to Hinchenbrook) and ended up staying 3 weeks - just because it was so nice. .
Sure it wasn't cos you put it up on the turf and needed 3 weeks to dig it out?

Godszonecountry up there

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:13   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Troppo,

Way to go, mate! I'm always pleased to hear a newbie approaching his cruising life as thoughtfully as you are. We hear all too many tales of folks buying a "turn-key" boat and heading off straight away... into some disaster or another.

Incidentally, you haven't missed any good wx for getting south in the last couple of weeks. We've come down from Cairns and had nothing but SE winds of varying strength all the way to Gladstone. The GRIB files keep promising the elusive NE'lies, but they seem to evaporate before reaching us. Had a couple of days in Horseshoe on the way, and it's still a pleasant anchorage in SE winds.

Cheers and have a great time with your new boat.

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone Qld Oz, southbound
Old 22-12-2010, 17:18   #7

Boat: Roberts 31
Hi Troppo

Hi there. My first real sailboat after a 12 foot skiff was an Endeavour 26. It was an earlier version with a heavier layup and slightly less cabin headroom which made it a little stiffer than later models. My understanding is that the '27 was built in response to people wanting a '26 with a bit more cabin space so they increased the overall length by a foot and also reduced the cockpit size, resulting in a very nice boat without needing to make any other changes. I sailed my Endeavour on Lake Macquarrie where she still is used regularly and also sailed the coast of NSW extensively in her. The '27 you bought in Townsville was also of interest to me as I am looking for a similar boat at the moment but you beat me to it. As I live in Townsville I just thought I had all the time in the world to think about it. There were two '27's for sale here late last year and now there is none. I guess that just shows how well the boats are known. I have had three yachts in the past and the Endeavour was by far the easiest to sail. Very manouverable, not bad at sea, and fun to sail. I wish you well with your new yacht, you should get years of fun from her. Merry Xmas, Rick.
franrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 17:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Nice one Tropo..
She looks a sweet well put together little lady.... have fun on her... stretch her legs

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, endeavour