Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 11:22   #76

Re: My marina was supposed to wash my boat... Painted it too what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieBones View Post
Ok, now I feel like more of an idiot than usual, I thought bottom paint was expensive.

So here's an update. On the phone this morning I told them I didn't ask for paint, they said Oh? and I said I'd come in to talk.

I walked in there, said how much was the paint anyway? They said $100, I said, oh that's not worth arguing over, I'll just pay it. They said, no we didn't have a work order we'll scratch that from the bill. The end.
hahahahahaha... Sorry, but we deserve to hear of a hammer and tongs fight now after all this.. We paid for it with lots of words. Go back and tell them they have swapped your engine with an old one or something. Tell them its the wrong boat and yours was a 50 foot oyster!! - Glad you got it sorted anyway.
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 11:28   #77

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post
hahahahahaha... Sorry, but we deserve to hear of a hammer and tongs fight now after all this.. We paid for it with lots of words. Go back and tell them they have swapped your engine with an old one or something. Tell them its the wrong boat and yours was a 50 foot oyster!! - Glad you got it sorted anyway.
We enjoyed the lots of words. Some sane some insane.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 19:34   #78

Boat: Swan 432

Only $100 for a paint job!!!!!
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 19:41   #79

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Ok, now I feel like more of an idiot than usual, I thought bottom paint was expensive.

So here's an update. On the phone this morning I told them I didn't ask for paint, they said Oh? and I said I'd come in to talk.

I walked in there, said how much was the paint anyway? They said $100, I said, oh that's not worth arguing over, I'll just pay it. They said, no we didn't have a work order we'll scratch that from the bill. The end.
There, all this angst for nothing!
Amazing what simple polite communicatiion can achieve.
Not my part of the world, but sounds like a yard I would be happy to use if it was.
All the best.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 19:53   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Skip..."to haul out" is to take a boat out of the water that may not be "trailerable" boat. In this case iris "lifted" out of the water with a "Travel Lift" which has large "straps/slings" that are positioned under the Bow and one normally jus forward of the shaft exiting the keel/stern tube. Hope this doesn't confuse you more..��
Well I think I'm pretty clear. Since the OP's boat was "hauled" at a marina, has bottom paint so one assumes lives usually in the water, has a cutlass bearing so an inboard, then odds are the boat is a bit big for hauling out of the water on a trailer with your F-150.

Would make a small wager that it was indeed hauled with one of them big machines with them belts hanging off the sides attached a coupla big ole pulleys and a bit ole motor to turn'em around.

On my boat the aft sling goes aft of the prop and I'm not confused about that at all.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 19:55   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
There, all this angst for nothing!
Amazing what simple polite communicatiion can achieve.
Not my part of the world, but sounds like a yard I would be happy to use if it was.
All the best.
A phone call, polite discussion AND, Bob's your uncle.
Old 15-05-2015, 19:56   #82

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:

Good on 'em! That's what we like to hear. Let us know who they are.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 19:56   #83

Boat: Skookum 53'

Many years ago, I once got some left over bottom paint from a US Navy ship and it did last 5 years.
Old 15-05-2015, 21:02   #84

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
There was no bad communication on my side. The details I'm sketchy about were what paint was on my boat and other stuff that is irrelevant.

I asked them to haul it and wash it, they asked if I wanted paint, I said no. They said they were backed up and would call me when it was ready to be hauled. Three weeks later I got a call saying it had been hauled washed and painted.

The main reason I made this post was to ask what others would do regarding paying for the paint, I shouldn't have even brought up the cutlass bearing.

They are good people, it was a miscommunication on their side, I'm going in now to talk to them I'll post an update after.
Probably a screw upon their part. 3 weeks backed up, so they were on automatic and who the hell is going to remember 3 weeks later unless something is in writing that they can refer back to. In fact, I've never heard of a yard that didn't put things on a "work order".
So, being fair, tell them what happened and offer to buy the paint but they eat only the labor for painting. that would be fair.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 21:27   #85

Boat: Tayana 52

'Normally' a yard will send an estimate for the agreed work and you sign the estimate and return it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 22:18   #86

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Sounds like the yard was looking out for the boat but didn't communicate with you....

Haul my boat annually, which always includes a power wash. This includes inspection of hull, paint, propeller, and zincs. So, hull-touch up, propeller treatment (barnacles love my propeller), and zinc replacement as needed. New bottom paint every two years. Your maintenance needs will be dependent upon your climate and water conditions.

My boat's annual costs exceed that of my "dirt" home. It's a matter of priorities.
Old 15-05-2015, 22:45   #87
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Great outcome

And a fascinating thread giving those of us downunder a real insight into the psyche of the North American USA consumer!

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 23:02   #88

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

As the lawyers say, "Oral contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on."
Old 16-05-2015, 12:04   #89

Boat: Rafiki 37

The last time I used a boat yard, installing the PSS which I guessed would be under a thousand and a day or two turned into over $6000 and almost two weeks (they had to cut the shaft and replace the prop, but still).

I won't use them again.

edit: oh yeah they also didn't reattach my rudder properly so it leaked heavily under power, that was an annoying Saturday fixing that
Old 16-05-2015, 12:22   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
The last time I used a boat yard, installing the PSS which I guessed would be under a thousand and a day or two turned into over $6000 and almost two weeks (they had to cut the shaft and replace the prop, but still).

There has to be a story behind this one. How come they had to cut the shaft? I could see maybe replacing a prop due to damage or deterioration due to galvanic action but the shaft.

Tags
paint