Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 23:51   #1

Boat: Currently Boatless!
My First Boat Purchase...

Hi all,

I've been drifting in and out of this site for a while; I've been looking for, and dreaming about owning, a boat for even longer!!

The day has finally arrived...I have bought myself a '94 Moody 336. I have viewed and surveyed many a boat over the past few years but not one gave me the same feeling as she did the moment I stepped aboard. I just had to have her - so I did - decision made there and then!! :-)

They say that when owning a boat there are only two days when you are happy; the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I am going to make the most of this first bit of happiness!

You will be seeing a lot more of me in here now...
settlednomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 02:44   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: My first boat purchase...

G'Day LBH and congratulations on your first boat purchase. The old saw about only two happy days is a load of rubbish! We've had so very many happy days on all of our boats that I couldn't begin to count them.

Buying day - happy? Well, pretty excited but not so happy. All those doubts circulating through your head... Was it the right thing to buy/do? Did I miss something in my survey? Are there hidden faults?

Move forward a few weeks. You've had a few sails, found some issues, cured them, learned some of the inevitable quirks of your new love, and suddenly, you're sailing along and everything is sweet and going like clappers... THAT's your first really happy day, and it will be followed by many others, some even better. Then there is your first foreign landfall... that's a real rush. Or if you're more a racer type, the day that your get your **** together and pass that guy who has been beating you every race... those are the sort of happy days we should be thinking about, not buying and selling. That sort of thinking is for used car dealers!

Anyhow, enjoy your boat and come tell us about your adventures... good and bad (if any).

Jim
Old 25-07-2014, 15:05   #3

Boat: Currently Boatless!
Re: My First Boat Purchase...

Hi Jim,

Totally agree with your comments. The only thing that I am not too happy about is the timing of it all :-)! I've bought it but won't be able to see it again, let alone sail it, as I've had to come back to Africa to finish a project! However, Oct, Nov and Dec are in the diary for my return, 3 months, or there about, getting to enjoy her, learn about her and just generally getting to grips with things in and around the Greek islands. Much excitedness going on in this little camp!!! :-)

Darren.
settlednomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 18:28   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: My First Boat Purchase...

Congratulations!

Tags
purchase