Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2018, 13:13   #1

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27
My first boat 27' Catalina?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...620293246.html

Need your feedback.... Good purchase? I know the marina. Great people. Will look at the boat this weekend. Should I hire a surveyor? The boat is in the water.

Thanks for your input...
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 13:20   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: My first boat 27' Catalina?

You should hire a surveyor. I know a dangerous amount about boats (a little), but I learnt so much more every time I hired a surveyor. He found all sorts of little nasties I would never have found. Eventually, one boat he surveyed he pronounced to be one of the best built boats he’d come across, and I bought it. Still he found a few things that previous owners had stuffed up and I have since had those potential future problems dealt to. There is no way I would ever put an offer on any boat without a good survey.

Naturally, look at the boat yourself first and check that you like it!
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 13:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
You should hire a surveyor. I know a dangerous amount about boats (a little), but I learnt so much more every time I hired a surveyor. He found all sorts of little nasties I would never have found. Eventually, one boat he surveyed he pronounced to be one of the best built boats he’d come across, and I bought it. Still he found a few things that previous owners had stuffed up and I have since had those potential future problems dealt to. There is no way I would ever put an offer on any boat without a good survey.

Naturally, look at the boat yourself first and check that you like it!
Thanks.... especially because it's an old boat....
Old 19-06-2018, 13:42   #4

found an interesting Catalina 27 assessment on Practical Sailor

https://www.practical-sailor.com/rev...Printable=true
Old 19-06-2018, 14:17   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

A survey would be a very good idea.

Buying any Catalina model as a first boat is very good idea. Parts are readily available from a company called Catalina Direct, most models have an active International Association. And, typically, by signing up with one you will receive the Catalina Mainsheet magazine. Has helpful projects and info. Good luck.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 16:01   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Google “catalina 27 keel gape” and the deck is cored with regular plywood that may be rotten if water found a way in. Test that you are not too tall for the V-berth and that you fit (together with your better half).

Very fun little boat. I cruised mine for extended stays of up to two months but that’s with two people max on board; otherwise it gets very, very crowded.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 16:17   #7

Boat: Seaward 22

Catalina 27 is a fine first boat. Great as a bay sailor. I have cruised the bay and raced on several for about 20 years. They are readily available. If this one has issues, move on. Too many out there to get one in bad shape.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 17:14   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

The Cat 27 is a good boat, especially for the Chesapeake.

I've seen that boat from the outside and it looks fairly good. I've worked on a few of these Catalinas and there isn't too much need to hire a surveyor on these boats. That said would probably change the chain plates right off if they are original as they are prone to breaking.

Shoot me a PM and we can set up a time to look at it.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 17:42   #9

Outboard or inboard? Inboard has extremely cramped access and literally no access to the stuffing box, so guess what.

Otherwise, great boats. I've had C22, C25 and now C34, skipped the 27 & 30.

They sail quite well.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 19:45   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

What they said. Good basic boat, good inshore weekender for a couple, good day sailer for two couples or a family. Outboard engine gives you more room. The alcohol stove is not a plus... you can starve to death before you get anything cooked on it. You can modify a SeaSwing gimbal to accept a primus type kerosene/diesel burner (don't operate it with the boat closed up!!!!!) for more heat. There is a nice aftermarket regulated burner that fits on most of them including the el cheapo Butterfly I use.

This was and still is a very popular small sloop. They are EVERYWHERE. Not as roomy as its close cousin, the Cal 2-27 but okay if you are not too tall or wide of beam. This is a very cheap way to get your hand in the game, and if you keep it up, you can always resell it for not much less than the current asking price.

My only real beef with it is the vee berth is nowhere near as spacious as the Cal's vee berth. It's a decent sailing boat, and an easy single hander, though you may want a couple extra winches, and to lead everything back to the cockpit.

If you have never done any sailing, this is a pretty good learner boat. If you have never done any motoring either, well, maybe not so good. The outboard is kind of hard to manage for a newbie. For anybody, really. Your first purchase should probably be lots and lots of fenders. Walmart has them for less than half what Worst Marine charges.

The problem with the keel joint on this boat is widespread but not universal. I would say that even though the price is less than $5k, since (1) it is your first boat, and (2) the keel issue is a deal breaker, and (3) it is apparently already hauled out, get a fresh survey done before you make the final decision. Depending on the type of insurance you are getting, you may need a survey anyway.

There are a lot of benefits to buying into such a popular model or class. Lots of peer support, owners groups, organized regattas and rallys, aftermarket bits and parts, and so on. Every yard knows this boat inside and out, making repairs go much smoother.

I bet fully 10% of all US sailboat owners have some tiller time in a Catalina 27 or even owned one as a first boat. You are looking down the path well traveled.

Oh, you will find the companionway AC to be very unhandy. Make a scoop/housing/mount out of foam and fiberglass and fit it to your forehatch, is what I would do. Or spring for a rooftop RV AC.

Before you even call a surveyor, check for spongy deck topside, and in the cockpit sole. Around the mast step and to either side of the companionway hatch seem to be very prone to core rot. Keep in mind that to have a yard repair this can cost a bundle, though it is not totally out of the question to DIY. However that should bring the price waaaaaaay down. I bet the rigging is original. Have some budget set aside for all new wire and fittings. They mostly corrode and fail inside the end fittings where you can't see the wire, and when they let go, well, that sucks. Check the mast, especially at the top, for electrolysis. That is severe wasting away of the aluminum where it is in close contact with other metals. That isn't a dealbreaker, but it is a price lowerer. You can cut the top 6" off the mast or get a used or aftermarket mast for this boat pretty easy. But you have to factor in the costs to the final price.

This one LOOKS like a pretty decent example of the model, and appears in the listing to be a likely buy. However, sellers of this sort of boat know that their main market is first time or relatively inexperienced boat buyers, and will often try to pass along a problem boat without properly disclosing its faults. So again, inspite of the small amount of money changing hands, I would recommend a full survey.
Old 20-06-2018, 09:46   #11

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

My first "big" sailboat was a Catalina 27 (1985). Loved it. Had the 9.9 longshaft Evinrude outboard since we raced it and wanted the least resistance possible (something like a 6 sec. delta on PHRF as I recall).

Anyway, other than some cavitation on the outboard in heavy seas (i.e. 6'-8') the only problem I ever had was with hull blistering. I'd get about 50 to 100 tiny (fingernail-size) blisters under the waterline each year. I became an expert at fixing them. When the Interlux 2000 system came out, I stripped the VC Tar off the bottom and used that to great success.

Get a surveyor, and have the boat pulled to at least inspect the bottom and see what you're in for (if anything). Since the bottom will be wet, moisture readings won't be able to be taken, but you may still be able to evaluate the general condition along with the rudder and the keel/keelson.

Sidenote: As much as I loved the Catalina 27, I'd have much rather (in retrospect) have purchased a Catalina 30 (tall or std. rig). That is great boat - and much more "livable" on weekends than the 27.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 10:29   #12

Boat: Scout 30

I have to agree with ztsf. While the Catalina 27 is a great first boat the 30 is really a huge step up & is easily found.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 12:47   #13

Boat: Nonsuch U30

Ask the seller if you can check the torque on the keel boats? Then walk the deck, if you feel no soft spots. Then check the rigging, especially the "U" bolts that pass through the deck. If all of this is OK, then buy the boat, you will love it. One of first things to add is an autopilot. I had a 27 for several years and sold it for more than what I paid for it.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 20:53   #14

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

From the photo look and the price (both good) a survey would also be good depending upon the cost. It might provide a price negotiating tool or prevent a bad purchase. At first visit you might want to take your own hammer, and consider a conditional deposit pending survey if you want to move forward.
Old 21-06-2018, 02:51   #15
cruiser

Boat: 320 Catalina

The Catalina 270 is more a scaled down 320 as it is simply a more modern yacht with more beam, better facilities and layout than the 27. It handles well, the wing keel keeps it sailing very well for a shallow draft yacht and even having a wheel does not disguise that it has good manners. The hull is about 300mm beamier than a Catalina or Jaguar 27.

When Catalina changed the model to the Catalina 275 they retained the hull and keel/rudder layout, only changing the deck and cabin to make it a less capacious ‘weekender’ rather than the family cruiser that the 270 is.
Bryndar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, catalina