Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 19:58   #1

Boat: Hunter 33
my first boat - 2008 Hunter 33

Hey guys,

Very happy to share this news I just closed the deal to have my 1st sailboat - a 2008 hunter 33. It's in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Previous owner is a motor cycle athlete and getting old(75 yrs now), he took unbelievable care of the boat. For me, a Chinese, it's very difficult to find a good condition private used small sailboat in Asia Pacific area. So finally I paid a little bit high but anyway I'm still very happy to start my marine life.

Here comes some questions and hope Hunter owner can help! Thank you!
* is it a must to have rigger's inspection for such a 11 yrs old boat
* where to find parts? such as cockpit upholstery, gas tank
* is she strong enough to cross ocean? my plan was to go to med after 2 yrs preparation
Stanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:08   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: my first boat - 2008 Hunter 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanz View Post
Hey guys,

Very happy to share this news I just closed the deal to have my 1st sailboat - a 2008 hunter 33. It's in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Previous owner is a motor cycle athlete and getting old(75 yrs now), he took unbelievable care of the boat. For me, a Chinese, it's very difficult to find a good condition private used small sailboat in Asia Pacific area. So finally I paid a little bit high but anyway I'm still very happy to start my marine life.

Here comes some questions and hope Hunter owner can help! Thank you!
* is it a must to have rigger's inspection for such a 11 yrs old boat
* where to find parts? such as cockpit upholstery, gas tank
* is she strong enough to cross ocean? my plan was to go to med after 2 yrs preparation
Congrats!

Personally, I'd have the rigging inspected. Especially if you plan on doing any extensive cruising.

The best place for parts/accessories is https://shop.hunterowners.com/ I have picked up stuff from them and the service has been good so far. AFAIK they do have cushions for most models.

Most people will tell you that no, a Hunter of that vintage/model is not the boat to cross oceans in. Others might disagree. I'd take mine coastal waters but would probably hesitate ate getting too far away from land. But I am not a naval architect so what do I know.

Enjoy you new boat!
Old 10-04-2019, 11:16   #3

Boat: B24

Congratulations; always liked Hunters although I’ve never had one. Macblaze probably summed up the best answers – even though, the only rigging failure I’ve ever had was within days after a rigging inspection by a rigger in a well-known sailing area – since then (for the past 30-something years) I’ve had my doubts about the talent-pool in the recreational/cruising world and the only one who has inspected the rigging on my boats is me. If I sailed near a place where there were a fair amount of racers and riggers who catered to them, I’d try to find someone again I suppose. Even if you don’t do that, grabbing a magnifying glass and having a look for yourself isn’t useless… In my case, years ago, after I had a little jumper-stay (not the right name, but… ) part on the mizzen, I looked around and found that the bob stay had several strands that had already parted as well – got to know Sta-Lock then…
Old 10-04-2019, 11:57   #4

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Congratulations!! After you sail her for a few years, you'll have an expert's view of what she can handle in terms of sea conditions and distances. There are many helpful sailors here on the forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions or share photos. We all like to look at boat photos - more than whatever our day jobs are--
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 00:16   #5

Thanks Macblaze! I'll definitely enjoy the boat!
I'm also thinking to install water maker, is there any recommendation?
Old 11-04-2019, 03:52   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
my first boat - 2008 Hunter 33

There is a Hunter owner group out there that is full of good, useful information. I’d find it and join.
This site is great for generic info like watermakers, but the Hunter owners group is great for detailed specific question on your particular model and year of boat.
Both are useful.

Watermakers can take up quite a lot of room, this can be minimized by careful installation of a modular one that allows parts to be separated.

However in my opinion you first need to decide if you are going to have a generator or not. If you are going to have a generator then a high volume AC Watermaker is the way to go.
If your not going to have a generator then you should look at a very efficient DC Watermaker, but if it’s going to be a DC unit, you need to be super efficient as DC power is very limited.
I decided early on that I wanted a generator so I went with a Cruise RO watermaker. A Honda suitcase generator is what a great many cruisers use, you don’t have to have a big built in Diesel generator.

If I had gone the DC route then I feel sure I would have gone with a Spectra. However be realistic with determining how much power you are going to have, and how much Solar you can realistically Mount. Not having to ration power excessively is why I decided to go with a generator, cause I think it foolish to regularly run your propulsion motor daily at anchor just to charge batteries.

Just my opinion, which will of course differ from others opinions.

Finally before you put too much money, time and effort in this boat, be sure that you don’t want to sell it and go to a Hunter 38 or 40 etc.
In other words get out and cruise for a while, then based on your experience decide what equipment you need as opposed to just want based on what you read. Peoples needs and wants differ from one to the next.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 14:18   #7

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Nihau Stanz,

Congrats on your new boat!

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...ner-forums.35/

The above will take you to a spot with tons of good hunter information.

The suggestions others have made on getting the rig inspected is a really good idea of the first thing to do. The next thing I would do is learn all about your diesel engine. Learn how to change fuel filters, bleed the diesel lines of air, change the oil, etc.

Your boat likely has batteries that need to have de-ionized water added from time to time. Check your batteries and top them up regularly.

Once you are confident in the rig, engine, and batteries... try to sail the boat a lot for a year before spending any money on upgrades. Things that may seem really necessary now may seem less so after you get to know the boat well.

Here is a link for your owners manual... https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downl...3_70861732.pdf

I'm not sure if the Hunter 33 is certified by the manufacturer as "Category A Ocean", or "Category B Coastal". If the boat is classified as "Cat B Coastal", then it may not be the best boat for a trip from SE Asia to the Med. However it will be a great vessel to learn and grow as a sailor in your local waters. We have a Hunter 410 and have been very happy with it for the last three years.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 02:36   #8

Thank you guys! Couldn't agree more! I believe that I'm bit too exciting and want to modify a Jeep to be Hummer in one day. Try to be calm down.
Previous owner kept 4 house batteries, solar panel, antifoul last year, bimini, sprayhood, radar, 29 hp yammar, freezer, microwave never used, even full hunter dishware is new
also left me a new 2 person dinghy with outboard 2.5 hp suzuki engine. super big boat cover due to heavy sunshine in SEA
Lucky enough!
Old 15-04-2019, 15:36   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

My thoughts. Not right, just mine. The Hunter properly equipped and sailed is a fine offshore boat. Many have circumnavigated. Whether it is a good one for you to do it will take time as others have said. While I would have the rigging inspected I'd actually replace it one size up before offshore sailing. I'd also have someone with experience review your rudder scantlings. Although I have had generators on my last two boats it would be the first thing off my must have list. I need the generator for my air conditioning, but I almost never need my air conditioning at anchor, only at the dock and there I almost always have dock power. Which leads to the water maker. The big advantage of the 110/220 volt watermaker is its high capacity relative to its 12 volt counterpart. The big disadvantage is that if either the watermaker or generator fail you don't make water. The typical 12 volt watermaker makes 15 gph. You should run it every day or two anyway so for me that is more than adequate. I have the best of both worlds perhaps as mine works on either 110 or 12. I have had two problems, both when running 110 so I only use 12 volt now.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 18:25   #10

Boat: Riva 48

I love Hunters and I would take my H31 anywhere. That being said, as with any second hand boat, you need to learn the systems and get to know your boat first. This takes time. Start with the simpler systems first, plumbing, electrical, electronics, then tackle engine, rigging, etc. I would not worry about the watermaker now. Give it a few months first. In general, if you want a long distance cruising boat under 35 feet, you need to solve the electricity generation problem first (solar, petrol generator or a bigger engine alternator - you need 2/3 of those) and storage and tankage (you will need additional fuel, most likely a bladder somewhere). The watermaker allows you to convert one gallon of fuel into 25 gallons of water, so once you solve the fuel problem, then you would know how to tackle the water problem.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hunter