Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2011, 16:13   #46

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Multihullers, tell us what you like about monohulls!

This trimaran has solved its berthing problems.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 16:50   #47
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Multihullers, Tell Us What You Like About Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueayes View Post
And then it was said and to be:

One house, one car, one hull.
And then man evolved from the cave man and it became one house, two cars and two hulls. He could have had a second house but then he wouldn't be able to afford the second hull.:
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 18:36   #48

Boat: Lagoon 420

Chartered a 40' Beneteau Oceanis and a Lagoon 400 this year.

For joy of "sailing" and the traditional experience, a monohull wins out. A cat is a bit like sailing around in your house. Mono's also win on styling and design as others have mentioned.

But, if I was full time cruising, the cat gets the nod as it is more comfortable, roomy and gets you to more places. And more comfortable for the Admiral also.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 21:13   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The average 40 foot cruising mono sails more predictably, although not faster than a 35-40 cat. The feedback in heeling tells more about what the boat is doing, monos point better and tack better in general.

I am a hot climate guy. Cooking below on a mono is miserable in 25-30 degc temps. A pilot house mono with galley up or a catamaran wins hands down IMO in terms of livability.

Haluouts require more planning for the cats. Berthing rates for the beamier equivalent cat will be higher but if you live on the hook, who cares
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 21:33   #50
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

As the OP requests, advantages of a monohull...
  • generally less expensive to buy
  • always less expensive to maintain (vis-a-vis 2 hulls, 2 engines, big beams=high cost berths, etc etc)
  • usually (although certainly not always) point better
  • usually (although certainly not always) give a smaller tacking angle
  • provide more sailing status (wind etc) information through vessel response to changing conditions
  • often (although not always) regarded as 'prettier', with the classic or traditional lines
All the above from a formerly (and for MANY years) monohull sailor here, but now VERY converted to 'the dark side'...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 21:59   #51

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

The attributes of monos are obvious -- better feedback to wind pressure, more forgiving of misjudgments by the crew when carrying too much sail, better load carrying, and (in some) better pointing. The pointing issue is NOT a function of mono vs. multi -- it isn't affected by how many hulls a boat has.... it is determined by the sail plan, the sheeting angles, the shape and depth of the keel or centerboard(s) and rudder(s), and other sail/rig dynamics.

Trimarans have some of the best attributes of cats and monos when they sail. My Dragonfly 1200 tri points as high or higher than most cruising monos, and heels only about 5-10 degrees. But we do heel, so we have the "feel" people often miss in a cat. We don't have as much cabin volume for equal length compared with cats or monos, but we can fold in a slip or for winter storage.

The image below shows our wake when sailing at 14 knots in flat water. Note the angle of the top rail with respect to the horizon.

SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 22:45   #52

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Our current boat is a Gemini 105Mc catamaran with the Sreecher sail on furrler and really fast we've had it a little over a year, bought it in San Diago and crused it up to Catalina Island and the Columbia River . Our last boat was a monohull a McGregor 26 M an 07 with everything full enclosure, heat, TV, chartplotter, radar ect. and it was very very fast at 60 miles an hour on the trailor we could treck to lots of lakes and the Salish Sea aka Seattle and the San Juan Islands really easly, I guess that's the best thing about our last monohull it traveled really fast at 8 ft beam sure can't do that with a 14 ft beam cat behind our 350 van. I have lots of buddies out of Pudget Sound that have ketches and sloops in all sizes up to 65 ft, I hope to sail with them next year if we can make the 1200 mile treck there and back it was sure easier to trailor our monohull across the Cascade Mt's.
Old 27-11-2011, 23:33   #53
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I can't help but notice that a fair portion of the multi crowds "compliments" were back handed at best. And a surprising number misread the OP and thought they were supposed to be touting the glories of multi's in this thread instead of vice-versa. Very revealing...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 23:51   #54

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Do the French ever take their time?
Over lunch of course.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 00:24   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I can't help but notice that a fair portion of the multi crowds "compliments" were back handed at best. And a surprising number misread the OP and thought they were supposed to be touting the glories of multi's in this thread instead of vice-versa. Very revealing...
My post was the truth about how much I missed the trailorability of my monohull, I missed out sailing the San Juan Islands this year because we have a catamaran
Old 28-11-2011, 00:34   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Multihullers, Tell Us what You Like About Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Cheap
That's not really an advantage of a mono, I'm afraid, if you compare like for like. It's a fallacy to compare a 45' cat with a 45' mono. A 45' cat has 90' of hulls, after all. A 45' cat is more like a 55' mono in terms of volume inside, and will cost about the same (if you compare like quality), and should be similar in terms of speed, too (except upwind).

I guess that's yet another argument that it's really just a matter of taste.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 00:48   #57

Re: Multihullers, Tell Us what You Like About Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's not really an advantage of a mono, I'm afraid, if you compare like for like. It's a fallacy to compare a 45' cat with a 45' mono. A 45' cat has 90' of hulls, after all. A 45' cat is more like a 55' mono in terms of volume inside, and will cost about the same (if you compare like quality), and should be similar in terms of speed, too (except upwind).

I guess that's yet another argument that it's really just a matter of taste.
My wife fell in love with a 50 ft monohull before we settled for our little 34 ft catamaran, they both have 3 staterooms with the same sized beds 2 std double and one std queen bed. The beam is about the same at 14ft. She lost out I grew up sailing Hobie cats.
Old 28-11-2011, 04:43   #58

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Well of course, the original post that started this thread was a "troll" so what did you expect? I ignored it the first few times I saw it, as the title told me I should expect it to start going downhill and gain momentum into the usual plunge. The devil got the better of me though, and I made the mistake of clicking the title.

Will unsubscribe from this thread now.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 04:59   #59
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Funny as I would say the same thing about some of the mono hullers in the opposing thread on the multihulls forum.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 11:41   #60
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I can assure you, SailFastTri, this thread and the reciprocal one in the Monohull forum were not 'trolls'. Quite to the contrary, it was an effort at defusing some of the tensions between the two camps and getting all of us to acknowledge that we can appreciate either type of boat. To some degree, I think it has worked.

While I had discouraged back-handed compliments, some were bound to appear. Some (in both threads) seemed to have been written in good humour, some not.
However, just look at D&D's post above to see an example of a fair list of advantages as viewed by someone with experience with both types of boat - but who is nonetheless, now firmly in the mulithulll camp.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone can see it useful to compare camps in terms of the quality of, or relevance of, or even the sincerity of their replies. Put another way, what is achieved by drawing generic conclusions, or generalizing about either group based upon posts which we don't like?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote