Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2016, 09:44   #1

Moving a boat from Midwest to Gulf.

How difficult/expensive would it be to move a 37.5 boat from Missouri to the Gulf? An option would be to sail it from Kansas City but the boat is about 2.5 hours south of the Missouri River in Kansas City.

I'm curious more than anything in case I find something in my area that's too good to pass up.
tropicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:03   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Moving a boat from Midwest to Gulf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicala View Post
How difficult/expensive would it be to move a 37.5 boat from Missouri to the Gulf? An option would be to sail it from Kansas City but the boat is about 2.5 hours south of the Missouri River in Kansas City.

I'm curious more than anything in case I find something in my area that's too good to pass up.
If you are a member of BoatUS (you should be for any number of reasons) you can get a good transport quote for free from uShip which has affiliated with BoatUS (which can also provide the necessary/advisable insurance for the trip). Click over to the BoatUS web site for a link.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:39   #3

I believe the Missouri River is navigable past Kansas City. The downside is there isn't much in the way of facilities for pleasure boats. Just eyeballing the map, I would think a couple of long days would get you down to Alton (north of St. Louis) and then you could rest and fuel up before doing the run down to the Tenn-Tom and the gulf that is typically taken by Loopers.

If the boat is not on the river and you have to truck it regardless, I would suggest considering trucking it straight to the gulf. By the time you pay to have the mast pulled and put back up and load the boat onto the truck, it shouldn't cost that much more and then you dodge the more challenging aspects of going down the river (unless of course, you see that as part of the fun)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 11:25   #4
cruiser

I wonder if railroads would transport yachts? Seems like the cost effective sensible answer? Prolly wouldn't cuz the liability/lack of insurability and threat of vandalism/theft of parts?

I mention this as there is a Downeaster 32 on lake texahoma that's priced right and I could see me calling one of those "the last boat" especially as a friend of mine has one/circumnavigated the world on it.
Then again, I don't wanna do the real life version of Tristan Jones and sea dart after he left Lake Titicaca supposedly overland to Amazon River in his book Incredible Voyage.

I do know a guy who drove his M/V (stink pot) from Lake Erie via the canal to the Hudson, into Delaware River-Chesapeake and to Florida Keys...course it's not a show room looking fresh water boat anymore after the five year journey...why he bought a steal hull boat and didn't leave it in the Great Lakes I'll never understand?
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 11:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
I wonder if railroads would transport yachts? Seems like the cost effective sensible answer? Prolly wouldn't cuz the liability/lack of insurability and threat of vandalism/theft of parts?

I mention this as there is a Downeaster 32 on lake texahoma that's priced right and I could see me calling one of those "the last boat" especially as a friend of mine has one/circumnavigated the world on it.
Then again, I don't wanna do the real life version of Tristan Jones and sea dart after he left Lake Titicaca supposedly overland to Amazon River in his book Incredible Voyage.

I do know a guy who drove his M/V (stink pot) from Lake Erie via the canal to the Hudson, into Delaware River-Chesapeake and to Florida Keys...course it's not a show room looking fresh water boat anymore after the five year journey...why he bought a steal hull boat and didn't leave it in the Great Lakes I'll never understand?
I don't think it's a cost effective issue using rail. If you were shipping a dozen a week or it could fit in a standard shipping container, it might be an option but for a one off, arranging rail transport is probably more hassle than it's worth as I doubt there is a rail head to the marina meaning you would have to truck it at both ends anyway. Once you get it on the first truck, it's just easier to drive to the destination and unload it. Lots of truckers do this type of work.

Lots of people run the Erie Canal every year. Not really relevant to the OP as once he gets to the Mississippi, it's easier and much shorter distance to work your way south on the Tenn-Tom then go north up the Illinois River.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 11:38   #6

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:

There are plenty of abandoned or project boats around where your intended sailing ground is for close to nothing, I would not bother to buy any boat and move her across the country.

YMMV
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:02   #7

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

Trucking is the best way. I swore when I moved out west and buying a boat it has to be trailer sailor. After dealing with uship I found you REALLY have to shop around. Sorry uship not ever on my list again. Pure amateur, and tried to triple my quote. I've shipped a lot so shop around and be careful. Everything in writing with specific terms a must! But shipping is your best choice. IMHO. Good luck brother...
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:08   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT attempt to sail her from Kansas City to the Mississippi. Not navigable. Mud bars, muddy water, floating logs/trash, uncharted unforeseen underwater obstacles. This is not a part of the country to attempt a river voyage, especially in a sailboat. Have the thing trucked... it will arrive in one piece, and you will still have enthusiasm for sailing. Besides the trip is really, really boring.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:21   #9

Jonathan Raban wrote a book about his trip down the Mississippi called Ole Miss, IIRC, in an open runabout. Great book and a great reason to never attempt it in a sailboat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:47   #10

Boat: Spirit 28

I live in Springfield, MO and sail on Stockton Lake here in Missouri. I got a quote from Leslie Transport (Sailors Moving Sailors) to move my 28 ft sailboat to Mobile area for abt $3300. They advertise in the back of a lot of sailing magazine. They are based out of Tennessee I belive. The price includes is complete turnaround. They will even do bottom job while on the trailer for very little extra dollars. Look them up on the web they have qa great site.
Jim
Old 23-03-2016, 10:48   #11

Lake Michigan to Gulf in 2006. Lessons learned: Moved my Gulfstar 45' sloop to Gulf in November. Too late but was cheaper a number of the marina's along the way were closed.

Took the mast down and built it up unusually higher so I could get under it with out much work. My lesson was I should have shipped it ahead to Dog River Marina or Turners next door both in Alabama who put it back up.

We loved the trip learned to get off the River early to find an anchoring spot. The tugs pushing 16 barges can not stop for you. Always announce over VHF radio your approaching Mile marker and blind turn in River in advance. Have your papers for the boat and ID for the locks. Have adequate and ample fenders to fend off walls and other boats. Extra lines handy for emergencies.

Be sure you have all the paper maps to find a place to hide at night. GPS a most, used radar line for heading the GPS was down graded at time of our travels and it put us on shore.

Captain James
www.jamestholtzingere@yahoo.com

Great fun and experience we are glad we didn't ship the boat by truck. Big hint ship mast to Turners in Mobile Alabama or Dog River Marina next door to Turners.
jamestholtzinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:10   #12

Boat: Hunter 30

I shipped from Carlyle Lake Il (outside St Louis) to Punta Gorda Fl. I was able to save some money by waiting until the shipper had a deadhead trip from the midwest. They don't like to travel without a load. This was 15 years ago so I don't recall the price. I do remember he arrived within 10 minutes of his ETA.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 14:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccraw View Post
I live in Springfield, MO and sail on Stockton Lake here in Missouri. I got a quote from Leslie Transport (Sailors Moving Sailors) to move my 28 ft sailboat to Mobile area for abt $3300. They advertise in the back of a lot of sailing magazine. They are based out of Tennessee I belive. The price includes is complete turnaround. They will even do bottom job while on the trailer for very little extra dollars. Look them up on the web they have qa great site.
Jim
It looks like the overwhelming majority of boats for sale in Missouri are on Stockton. I think it's probably better just to look for one in the Gulf or Atlantic.
Old 23-03-2016, 14:07   #14

Thanks all. Looks like it would be more trouble and expense than it's worth. I'll keep looking along the coasts.
Old 23-03-2016, 14:41   #15

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Thanks all. Looks like it would be more trouble and expense than it's worth. I'll keep looking along the coasts.
Excellent, wise call!!! Part of the fun in sailing is boat shopping.

Just remember,
1. sometimes a free boat does not mean free after all.....LOL.
2. do you want to buy a boat so that you can spend all your weekend fixing her up or you just want to buy a boat so you can enjoy the water? Be clear of your objectives. Don't suck into the best scenario or ideal outcome.

Good luck
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote