Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-04-2011, 10:17   #16

Boat: Catalina 25 Tall Rig
Re: Mounting Antenna

what kind of range would I be looking at from the top of the 30foot mast? What size vhf antenna would be good to use?

while im up there, some of the lighting on the mast no longer works and I would like to switch it out, any idea what I will need so I dont have to go up more than once or twice?

also, some of the things on the boat, i still dont know what they do? "reverse polarity" switch for example? any ideas? Where is a good place to mount the vhf itself inside the boat?

again, thanks for all the help guys

I have another question. Can someone explain to me how a tiller steer sailboat can have auto pilot? I know it exists and everything, I just want to understand how it works? Any recommendations on them, do-donts, etc. Its something I have always wondered about and I figure this is a great place to learn.

Old 27-04-2011, 10:29   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If you need to do that lot, then I would pull the mast. It took me 5 trips up the mast just to replace the windex. If you are going to faff around with electrics do it on land with the mast down so you can take your time and do a good job of it. You don't want to go back up again in 6 months time.

VHF range for 30 foot mast will depend on the height of the receiving station, but another yacht say 25 miles. The coastguard the same but you will hear them further away. We can pick up Solent CG probably 40 miles away. A small inflatable with hand held, perhaps 5 miles.

Pete

Old 27-04-2011, 10:36   #18

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I agree with Pete7. Drop the mast, do the job properly and at your leisure. Drilling holes and tapping aluminum, threading cable and doing connections 30 feet up in the air is not easy, even if you've been doing it for a while. How many times do you drop tools or nuts n bolts while doing things? Better to do it while standing on your own two feet. With a small mast like that it shouldn't be too difficult. Assuming you have a tabernacle mount on deck, press gang a few buddies and git er done.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 10:37   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tiller steered yachts in your size range want an ST1000 or ST2000 from Raymarine or the equivalent from Simrad.

Here is our wheel steered yacht (31 feet) being steered by a Raymarine ST2000 on the tiller. The ST2000 has enough power to overcome the wheel steering and works well but it helps to have the sails balanced so there is no pull on the tiller (Lee or weather helm).

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image033.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	26647  
Old 27-04-2011, 10:41   #20

alright, and how much do those models normally run?

From what I have seen I will being taking the mast down, it will be easier and I can make sure things are done right before it goes back up.
Old 27-04-2011, 10:57   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxaholic View Post
alright, and how much do those models normally run?

From what I have seen I will being taking the mast down, it will be easier and I can make sure things are done right before it goes back up.
Good plan I found stainless steel screws into the ali top plate which had been covered in salt for 20 years. They wouldn't come out and using an angle grinder 40 feet up whilst holding on with one hand wasn't clever.

West Marine website suggests a Raymarine ST1000 is $450, worth shopping around though, especially with your local chandlers.

RAYMARINE Autohelm Series ST1000 Plus Tiller Pilot at West Marine
Old 27-04-2011, 10:59   #22

would you say that the most basic one is all that I need? shes only a 25footer, but I'm in college and its the boat that I will stick with for a long while.

It would be nice to have because I have a lot of chances to sail, but its normally by myself or with a female friend...so the auto pilot would be awesome.
Old 27-04-2011, 11:04   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Viv says it steers a better course than I do so yes, but you can check the specs of your boat against the Raymarine website.

Tiller Pilots

They sometimes appear on e bay, but be warned they are not water proof, so buyer beware and if you buy a new one, sew up a simple cover to keep the spray off using a water resistant fabric. Doesn't have to be anything water tight just keep the spray and rain off it.

For anything over a couple of hours I now think it's an essential piece of kit. It enables me to leave the helm and relax without having to constantly concentrate on the course. Chartwork, cooking and even taking a leak are now possible without worrying if we are going around in circles.

Pete
Old 27-04-2011, 16:17   #24

alright thanks, i am really considering on for the 25. Do you guys consider them worth the money?
Old 27-04-2011, 16:44   #25
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mounting Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Viv says it steers a better course than I do so yes, but you can check the specs of your boat against the Raymarine website.

Tiller Pilots

They sometimes appear on e bay, but be warned they are not water proof, so buyer beware and if you buy a new one, sew up a simple cover to keep the spray off using a water resistant fabric. Doesn't have to be anything water tight just keep the spray and rain off it.

For anything over a couple of hours I now think it's an essential piece of kit. It enables me to leave the helm and relax without having to constantly concentrate on the course. Chartwork, cooking and even taking a leak are now possible without worrying if we are going around in circles.

Pete

Pete.... I don't know about the Simrad but my Raymarine ST1000 has been dumped on by seas and heavy rain fairly often over the last 3yrs and is still going strong.... it my not survive submersion but the Biscay waves have not affected it to date...
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 19:40   #26

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7

I reckon you would be best off to mount a VHF whip ariel off the stern rail and install your VHF with heavy duty low impedance co ax. At a later stage when the mast is down you can install a masthead antenae. You will probably find that you wont be able to install the same heavy duty coax in the mast and your reception/transmission range may not be significantly improved. Most important is to run heavy duty power supply and keep the voltage up to the radio.

Tags
antenna

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: