Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2012, 23:47   #16

Re: mounting an outboard on a ferro transom

I do not have anything to offer, as far as mounting the OB on your boat, that hasn't already been suggested. I have done the same, removed the inboard and mounted an outboard, on my boat.
I found the boat did not steer well at slow speeds. I believe, with the prop behind the rudder, there was not enough water flow to help at slow speeds.
The way I corrected this was to connect the steering to the outboard to so it turned as the rudder turned. What a difference that made getting in and out of close quarters ( vectored thrust ).
I also was concerned about the prop while trying to enter an inlet with waves.
I got an extra long shaft outboard and then found a company that can extend the lower unit an extra 6 inches. Don't forget to seal the power head from water getting in and also use a corrosion block spray on the inside.
Most who advised me to not do this have not done it themselves. They for the most part mean well but could not offer any practical help.
Good luck
PEACETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 01:40   #17

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'

Hey Koala,

yeah no big deal with what you want to do, if your boats only 3500kg and your sailing on flat water then you wont have a problem.

I wouldn't use timber laminate or ply on the back, just use nylon chopping boards, with a bolted stainless plate (from a scrap merchant so its cheap) on both sides of the hull.

watch out for rebar in the drilling but if you buy good bits and use a half decent drill you will just hang on and drill right through them as the bar will only be small anyway.

ever thought of a diesel outboard so you dont end up having issues with fuel storage inside the boat?

Good luck and hope you get on with it, i like ferros and have had a few of them.

Matthew
Old 28-09-2012, 03:00   #18

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEACETIME View Post
I do not have anything to offer, as far as mounting the OB on your boat, that hasn't already been suggested. I have done the same, removed the inboard and mounted an outboard, on my boat.
I found the boat did not steer well at slow speeds. I believe, with the prop behind the rudder, there was not enough water flow to help at slow speeds.
The way I corrected this was to connect the steering to the outboard to so it turned as the rudder turned. What a difference that made getting in and out of close quarters ( vectored thrust ).
I also was concerned about the prop while trying to enter an inlet with waves.
I got an extra long shaft outboard and then found a company that can extend the lower unit an extra 6 inches. Don't forget to seal the power head from water getting in and also use a corrosion block spray on the inside.
Most who advised me to not do this have not done it themselves. They for the most part mean well but could not offer any practical help.
Good luck
thats the crux of the problem - if you dont get the prop deep enough it wont work when the going gets a bit tough - i had a trimaran that spun along beautifully with a 15 horse outboard on flat sea but the one time i got myself embayed in a blow it was useless even as an aid to the sails - didnt help the damn boat had no bloody keel so wouldnt go up to the wind better than about 60 degrees, less in the rough.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 04:01   #19

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I had a 3.5 hp short shaft on my 2.5 ton folkboat type. It pushed her into about 15-20 knots if there was not to much chop. In any chop it was useless, but that's what the sails were for.

A guy I know had an outboard on his 34 foot steel boat. He used a small block and tackle on a davit arm to lift it on and off the outboard bracket onto the stern rail for rougher stuff.

I have Snowpetrel set up so the outboard can be mounted on the stern just in case the diesel should fail... 2.5 Hp wont do much, but it sure could help in a calm.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a 5hp 4 stroke Mercury (extra long shaft) on a bracket on my 6600 lb Bristol 27 Sailboat. It does fine and you can adjust it down for the days when you have the bigger swells. I'm located on the Southern Chesapeake where it meets the Atlantic. 25 hp is a lot for a small sailboat, but a lot of guys would rather motor than raise sail anyway............
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro, outboard