Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2009, 09:25   #31

If you love what you have, try a cruise along the ICW for a couple weeks. If you like it, can deal with the costs and maintenance, try heading to the Keys for a few weeks. Still okay? quit your job and head off for a season or two, with the fall back plan of coming back as soon as it's no longer fun/too expensive and re-assessing.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is you don't have to make a huge choice right now. You can work up to it one step at a time. If you want to test the sailing waters, try chartering a boat similar to what you've been looking at buying for a week somewhere nearby - maybe the Keys. If you like it, maybe ask your friend if you can "try before you buy" for a month (paying a reasonable charter fee, of course.) And so on, one small (inexpensive) step at a time to make sure it really works for you both before plunging off on a retirement of sea gypsying.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 10:13   #32

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Thanks Amgine
That's great advice. we don't have to make a decision right away. The good thing is that the boat is paid for. We have cruised up and down the Tenn-Tom several times. Actually the first time I cruised on the current boat was 4 years ago when we brought the boat down from cincinnati to Mississippi. We've cruised up as far as Kentucky Lake and Tupelo, MS since then, but the current marina is in the Florida Panhandle. My partner has had this boat for 12 years and has been to the Keys and back, but that was 10 years ago. He also does almost all the maintenance on it.

Anyway, we'll take it one step and a time. Our friends with the Privilege have changed their minds about that boat, so now we don't have to struggle with that decision.

So, we'll probably cruise this boat and if it gets too expensive to move it, we'll just hang out where we are at the time (unless there's a hurriance coming)

Like others have said before, the best boat is the one that gets you cruising!

Cheers
Old 28-01-2009, 12:36   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
When Charley Morgan was asked about his design stategy for the Morgan OI 41, he said, "We wanted to make a boat that would motor well for the charter trade." There has never been a more popular boat sold in that size, so he must have done something right. We have lived aboard and cruised with our Morgan Out Islands since 1973. We're usually on the Maine to Bahamas seasonal circuit and sail or motor at whim. We usually don't motor over 6.5 Kts. and we don't point to weather well closer than 45 degrees. Anyone with the greatest interest in speed and windward performance needs to book a seat on a 747. Afterall, we're sailing about and motoring with destinations that allow us much timing,...like, be north of Florida for huricane season or be south of the freezing weather. Many boats can do what ours does, but ours does suit us well. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 15:41   #34

Well put Capt Force....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:33   #35

Boat: Nauticat 44. Name CG
Send a message via Skype™ to garymarkgreen
I sailed round the world on a cat, loved it, then bought a Nordhavn 57 motor boat, lovely boat, motored from Miami back to Thailand but hated motoring and the constant engine sound, so have just bought a Nauticat 44 motor sailor, what I found with sailing, is about 50 percent of the time there is not enough wind so you use the engine. Using the engine all the time is expensive and noisy, hence I have just bought this Nauticat 44 year 2004, sails great in any thing over 15 knots and motor sails well any thing under, intend to circumnavigate on her setting sail out of Ft Lauderdale, end November, a season in the carib and just before hurricane season, Panama canal.
garymarkgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:40   #36

Boat: Seafinn 411, 41', Thistle
Motorsailors

Well, here's what I think. BTW Thistle is for sale. I was just getting ready to post an advert when I saw this thread. BTW#2; We can easily do over 8 knots engine or sailing, and use less than 1.5 GPH. BTW#3; We're living aboard at St. Katarine's docks, London. UK--start cruising in Europe!

Why a Motorsailor

If you are dreaming of a sailboat for cruising, live-aboard, or a holiday-home afloat, you have no doubt realized that every boat that will fulfill that dream is to some extent a motorsailor. Once you’ve come to that conclusion, you’ll come to appreciate the advantages of a true motorsailer.

The most apparent feature of a motorsailor is the pilothouse. A proper pilothouse provides a warm, dry second helming position and navigation station for bashing through a rain squall, or having a ‘cup-a’ while keeping watch in a tricky anchorage. Making passage, at the dock or on the hook, the pilothouse is your ‘room with a view’ for dining and entertaining. There is a reason that most modern sailboats are offered in a ‘deck saloon’ version, but most do not offer that critical inside helm (not to mention forward visibility), and many still stick the navigator ‘in the hole’ below decks.

The long held myth is that motorsailors, with their high profile and short rigs, have the sailing characteristics of a brick cottage and make up for it with a big motor. Yet, observations along any dock will show that the new generation of ‘cruiser-racers’ have grown fatter and taller, and been fitted with bigger engines, while modern designed motorsailors have become sleeker and befit from serious sailing rigs.

If you are now looking for a Nauticat, Fisher, or Colvic Watson, you owe it to yourself to see the sailor’s motorsailor, Thistle. She’s a SeaFinn 411.

On introduction, the SeaFinn 411 was billed as ‘the ultimate motorsailor.’ We can attest to the validity of the claim. She has powerful ketch-rig and combines good sailing performance with a strong engine to maintain speed in all conditions, while her semi-full keel provides sea kindliness, safety, and comfort. Her large pilothouse with second helm and forward facing nav station has excellent visibility for comfortable all-weather sailing. The best of Finnish design and craftsmanship are blended to produce a yacht that combines traditional elegance with modern performance, comfort and safety. With her easily handled and reliable roller furled genoa and main she is a delight to sail and will surprise a fair few cruiser-racers, but where she truly shines is in the real world of getting you where you want to go quickly and comfortably.

After 20 years of dreaming and 5 years of actively searching for the perfect yacht, we discovered Thistle on Majorca 12 years ago and fell in love with her looks and design. And with 11 years of full-time cruising now behind us, Thistle has indeed fulfilled every expectation.

After purchase we set about a program to upgrade and modernize her pilothouse (forward facing nav station cum ship’s office), galley (new dish cabinet, counter tops, double sink, and a large refrigerator-freezer), and master head (separate shower stall). We also added a bow thruster, new sailing instruments and autopilots, and integrated the GPS to the autopilot and the laptop for electronic charting. In 2006 we renewed the teak decks, had the bottom Hot-Vac’d and barrier coated, and refurbished the finishes throughout the interior. Thistle shows as a near new boat.

Thistle’s strength and seaworthiness have been thoroughly tested in the Baltic, North Sea, and Mediterranean. And, with masts removed, her shoal draft enabled us to enjoy the inland waterways of Europe. She is truly a versatile yacht. Aboard Thistle, cruising is an enjoyable experience. Her layout and accommodation make life aboard a pleasure whether under way, swinging at anchor, or sitting at the dock. With classic good looks -- teak decks, rails and interior -- she draws admiring comments wherever we sail. Thistle has been superbly equipped, upgraded, and maintained for long range cruising, she is ready to go.
Thistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:07   #37

Re: Motorsailor

Hi
I am new to wooden boats and sailing. E.g. I owned a steel hull motor vessel for many years but thinking of purchasing a wooden motor sailor about 35 years old.

What to look out for? Is it difficult to learn sailing this kind of vessel?
Peter
KlausPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:01   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
Re: Motorsailor vs Sailboat

Sailorgal, if you are looking for a motorsailer I have a friend who is selling his boat down here in St Maarten. I personally do not like motorsailers but this boat is really nice. He is a mega yacht refit guy and he bought his boat and gutted it and refit the entire boat with first rate top of the line equipment and the result is amazing. A very pretty boat that sails well and has a large 6 cyl Perkins diesel. He used a lot of parts acquired from refits of big yachts like sub zero fridge and freezer drawers etc. the workmanship is first rate. PM me if you want his info. I think he is asking $150,000 and it is 48' I think.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorsailer