Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2016, 01:24   #16

Re: Motorsailer advice needed

so the Bénéteau 320 was a bust. Even with TLC, it was over priced and not for us. But what it has done is make us realised that the 4th boat we saw last year (and had an offer in and accepted) is the one for us.
We pulled out as the broker came across as very pushy. Emails and calls a few times a day made us step back and see what else was around.
To be fair, they were very apologetic when I let them now why I was pulling out for the time been
The boat is still for sale, so will put a call in today.
Tail between legs time.......
Oh, here's the boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350 "Owners" version for sale, 10.30m, 1992 | Boatshed Barcelona
Opinions and advice welcome.
FlippedPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 06:08   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Lots of boats out there. You will find a good one. Just enjoy the search. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-01-2016, 20:50   #18

Boat: Beneteau

You will love the Beneteau. Ours is a 1994 Oceanis 400 and I would be hard pressed to find something better suited to our needs. Fast and comfortable with enough room for us and our teenage son. It took us through 47 knot gusts on our maiden voyage with truly aggressive seas and was exhilarating. 12 foot steep waves on the port quarter for 8 hours and no complaints. She has since met my needs for a good sailing boat over the miles to northern Newfoundland where 5 metre seas are the norm and again was nothing but admirable. I love to sail and have been lucky enough to own two boats that do so fairly effortlessly. If this is your wish than you will have a hard time finding a better boat in this price range.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 02:43   #19

Hi nortonscove,

Thanks for the message.

It sounds like your Beneteau has served you well. Hoping I'll have the same stories in a few years time
FlippedPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 23:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Hi Guys.
Your decision seems to be wether to go with an open cockpit sail boat, or to buy a "motor sailer".
My next boat, which I'll name soon WILL NOT, sail to windward like a sharp stick. It WILL HAVE large glass areas which in the Southern Ocean ...might..... be a worry. But a 'windows' trade-off is a useful thing for people who may be of fair complexion, are concerned about skin exposure, who just ....hate....being in an open cockpit in bucketting rain and strong winds at 2AM on a 4 hour shift.

Not being an expert I don't know the exact stat's but you guys and your littlie are going to be either on the hook or on a berth a damned site more than you are going to be under sail and a motor sailer with a sitting/table arrangement where you can see out...together...is pretty attractive in my opinion.

To be able to sail to windward like an Americas Cup 12 metre boat is terrific I think. But to be able to crank a decent sized engine to go in the desired direction when the yuk hits the fan is even more terrific.

There are lots here on CF, I suspect, who on many occasions would have loved to have been on a motor sailer rather than on a rocket ship S&S designed (eg...nothing more than eg!) thoroughbred. That said, there are those who will disagree (with many things).

Personally, I h.......no, can't say the 'h' word, ....I thoroughly dislike the sun other than at temps of, say, 20deg C or less. Cloudy, windy (even rainy/snowy) day person am I.

Lots of fuel, strong motor, fantastic load carrying capacity, well sheltered panoramic views, and so many other attributes describe well a Nauticat 33 (1,160 built ?!!?), but then there are many others from the same builder with double the volume. And so many other motor sailers of other brands....Fisher 34/37.
The list of proven motor sailers is endless.

And for what else it's worth, its pretty hard to rip the keel off a vessel where it is an integral part of the hull.

T'were you who raised the motor sailer question otherwise I'd have never aired my views .
You Guys are not envisaging day sails, on the contrary.
So have a look at sailboatdata.com.

And remember that there are many well found older fibreglass boats so you don't necessarily have buy a youngish Oceanis 350 or one of the thousands of similar boats.

Finally, I LOVE the layout of the O' 350 but for longer trips/live aboard etc a motor sailer is more me. And it sounds more like you. And no, I have nothing for sale.

Happy hunting, expect to make plenty of mistakes but a mistake shared with a loved one can sometimes be pretty bloody wonderful when reflected upon.
Cheers.
Brian.
I just love this post. I guess I'm not the only sailor who hates the sun!
--
Pacific Seacraft 37 (Crealock 37) looking for a new home.
Information here: pacificseacraft37.com
Crealock37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorsailer, sail