Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 13:32   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,458
Images: 69
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
........ and the great majority of sailors make at least 40% or 50% of their miles under power. So what? But what it means is that cruising sailboats should be designed to be good motor boats as well as good sailboats.

Unless they're cat' sailors. Apparently we do at least 100% of our miles under power.
__________________

__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:55   #32
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,751
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Unless they're cat' sailors. Apparently we do at least 100% of our miles under power.
A little chip on your shoulder?

Actually one of the important advantages of catamarans is that they make superlative motorboats. Without ballast and with easily driven, fine hulls, they are much more efficient than monos under power. So I guess we could hardly blame you, for never raising your sails, if that's what you do
__________________

__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:02   #33
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,458
Images: 69
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Without ballast and with easily driven, fine hulls, they are much more efficient than monos under power.
Under sail too! (If we ever used them...)


Interestingly, after 27,000 miles, our sails are just about knackered, while our little Honda 20 motors are still fine. No idea how that happened...
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:11   #34
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
The poster said his boat was pathetic, no me. .
No, the poster did not say their boat was pathetic, the poster said

"...our Gulf 32 has a pathetic sounding SA/D of 11.5 which if we were to believe the numbers alone would mean she never sails... in fact she sails quite well and we're very pleased with her performance"

Which is exactly the point. SA/D is only one metric and as the poster points out their boat sails well. I think our SA/D is around 14 and our boat sails brilliantly. We just need a lot more wind than some boats, but that is what our boat was designed to handle and when things get nasty we get comfortable.

Matt
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:41   #35
Registered User
 
Training Wheels's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Left coast.
Posts: 673
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

The moral of the story is that "sails well" in this context is completely subjective. Ours has a SA/D somewhere between 35-40, depending on what numbers you want to use. I like to think it sails well. :-)
__________________
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:57   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,172
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Pathetic???

Old Billy Garden was hardly in the habit of turning out "pathetic" designs. He was versatile and sensitive to his clients' desires. Personally I think the Gulf 32 is wonderful for the "Wet Coast" which is what she was designed for - way back in the mid '60's.

Being two feet longer, although with a DWL a foot and half shorter, than TrentePieds, she is even nicer below, having a galley just about 50% bigger! And she is no slouch. My only complaint would be that she is wheel-steered. The trade off is that she has a steering position in the house also. At two and thirty feet, that works. At thirty it doesn't! If you like the Broughtons in the winter, an inside steering position makes a lot of sense!

TrentePieds
__________________
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:59   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
No, the poster did not say their boat was pathetic, the poster said

"...our Gulf 32 has a pathetic sounding SA/D of 11.5 which if we were to believe the numbers alone would mean she never sails... in fact she sails quite well and we're very pleased with her performance"

Which is exactly the point. SA/D is only one metric and as the poster points out their boat sails well. I think our SA/D is around 14 and our boat sails brilliantly. We just need a lot more wind than some boats, but that is what our boat was designed to handle and when things get nasty we get comfortable.

Matt
Well, pathetic whatever. SA/D is a fine, but useless statistic for cruising boats. On our old Wetsnail 43 we usually sailed with 600 s.f of sail, but sometimes down to 200 s.f. and sometimes raised that to about 2000 s.f. with two drifters(main and mizzen), tri, three jibs, and a handkerchief. The tub made 7 knots regardless what we flew, regardless of conditions(for the most part), and regardless how sober we were. Otoh, it kept lumbering along in winds of 10 knots to 60 knots comfy like. Anything below 10 knots and it was cocktail hour; above 60 knots we deferred to Poseidon and drifted.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:25   #38
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

"The poster said his boat was pathetic, no me. Just agreeing with him. And it does look like a frog." Reed1v


Reed,
He said his SA/D was pathetic . . . not his boat. However, I don't understand what a person achieves by denigrating another's boat. It is, by far, one of the most personal and emotional purchases someone makes in their life. By doing so, you are not just attacking the boat but also attacking the person for his lack of judgment, (perhaps) resources and taste. By the way, do you own a boat and if so, what do you own? Why haven't you included this information about yourself as most on this forum have provided?
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:31   #39
Registered User
 
Training Wheels's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Left coast.
Posts: 673
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Daddy always told me, never insult a mans wife or his boat.
__________________
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:38   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"The poster said his boat was pathetic, no me. Just agreeing with him. And it does look like a frog." Reed1v


Reed,
He said his SA/D was pathetic . . . not his boat. However, I don't understand what a person achieves by denigrating another's boat. It is, by far, one of the most personal and emotional purchases someone makes in their life. By doing so, you are not just attacking the boat but also attacking the person for his lack of judgment, (perhaps) resources and taste. By the way, do you own a boat and if so, what do you own? Why haven't you included this information about yourself as most on this forum have provided?
He was being humorous about his boat. Guess you have no sense of humor. too bad. You must be a 20 something. Anyways, you obviously do not read all the posts here since i did mention my boat and in lots of other posts our various sailings around the various oceans. Plus you obviously need a remedial education in English since i gave high praise to the Gulf 32, despite it looking like a frog. Although i can understand some folks really dig frogs. Like the French for example.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:47   #41
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,063
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"The poster said his boat was pathetic, no me. Just agreeing with him. And it does look like a frog." Reed1v


Reed,
He said his SA/D was pathetic . . . not his boat. However, I don't understand what a person achieves by denigrating another's boat. It is, by far, one of the most personal and emotional purchases someone makes in their life. By doing so, you are not just attacking the boat but also attacking the person for his lack of judgment, (perhaps) resources and taste. By the way, do you own a boat and if so, what do you own? Why haven't you included this information about yourself as most on this forum have provided?
__________________
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 17:02   #42
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
He was being humorous about his boat. Guess you have no sense of humor. too bad. You must be a 20 something. Anyways, you obviously do not read all the posts here since i did mention my boat and in lots of other posts our various sailings around the various oceans. Plus you obviously need a remedial education in English since i gave high praise to the Gulf 32, despite it looking like a frog. Although i can understand some folks really dig frogs. Like the French for example.

After the prosecutor has presented the relevant facts and case law to the court, he, invariably, turns towards the judge for a well-repeated phrase:

"Your Honor . . . the State rests it case."
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 17:10   #43
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
The moral of the story is that "sails well" in this context is completely subjective. Ours has a SA/D somewhere between 35-40, depending on what numbers you want to use. I like to think it sails well. :-)
But since it is a multihull you motor all the time anyway so the SA/D doesn't matter.

(Disclaimer: Aussies are known for an ironic sense of humour. Therefore this post is made with an ironic tone. Any offense caused is unintentional and a by-product of my Australian education.)
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 17:12   #44
Registered User
 
Training Wheels's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Left coast.
Posts: 673
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

Good point!
__________________
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:25   #45
Registered User
 
Boxertwinjeff's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cairns NQ Australia
Boat: Nicholson 31 1982
Posts: 123
Re: Motor Sailor or Sailboat?

I'm looking at this Roberts 38 with view to possibly making an offer on it.
It's a 1978 build
Solid fiberglass Hull & deck
appointed well with just about all equipment & electronic etc to go cruising
Survey done Nov 2015 says hull in good condition, though some osmosis
present both sides of lower part of keel, should this be of great concern?
Mast needs repainting & SS rigging due to be replaced
I must add I'm a newbie to sailing and concerned it may be too large
for me to handle and singlehand being a beginner, though would be living
aboard and don't want to live on a real small boat, prefer abit of space
Owner is asking $AU65,000 as is,.. 75K with new rigging installed.
Not sure if that's a fair price with it being the age it is. any feedback would be appreciated.
__________________

__________________
Boxertwinjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motor, sail, sailboat

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: experienced crew.both racing sailboat,Cruising sailboat and motor yacht madrid Crew Archives 0 29-04-2012 11:20
Motor boat plus a sail boat equils a Motor sailer? niel12 Multihull Sailboats 11 02-07-2011 13:15
Motor or No Motor for Long-Term Cruising? boatyard Pirate Construction, Maintenance & Refit 41 02-08-2009 22:13
Bizzare Motor-Sailor Thermal General Sailing Forum 2 20-10-2007 11:28
motor sailor: steel or GPR hull? Hasenmann General Sailing Forum 12 06-11-2005 12:11



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.